The Car Thread

Dome

9 hours ago, elevators_rule said:

Same. Feels like this is the twilight gen between electric/self-driving being beneficial and gasoline having utility. Bought a 2023 ICE Mazda and hoping for the 2030s vehicles having a use-case. Will likely buy a new vehicle around then.

My new car was a Mazda as well. CX50 but 2024 model. Looking at the same ballpark on when to buy my next as well. Should have a lot of good data on electric cars by then

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like a really financially imprudent option to me.  Generally speaking, when you put money down on a lease...that money along with your payments can be converted to a lease buyout financing option.  But when you do that, you're going to get much cruddier terms and value than just financing the car to buy from the start - if that's the intention, rather than just rolling into eterntal leasing.  Brand new cars tend to get better financing terms than pre-owned (which is effectively what they'd be looking at that financing of a lease buyout as).  Plus you'll potentially get a weak valuation on your $50k trade-in depending on what that dealership thinks they can rip someone off for on it, due to desirability.

Especially if you actually already have a fully functional, fully paid off car that would suffice.  But it probably really depends on what sort of terms they'd give you on a lease swap like that on her $550/month deal.  But burning a $50k asset over it seems backward to me.  Especially with how jacked up the car market is these days, and how it's never recovered from Covid and other factors.  Where...half the time you'll see 2-year lease return Toyota Corollas asking more than the MSRP for a brand new one...simply because dealers can't get their hands on them or keep them in stock.

Kind of a weird situation though.

If the terms are super terrrible on her financing arrangement, it might even table out if you could trade her car in for something cheaper and older, cut your losses on the payments...then private sale the cheaper car (or find a dealership that will just buy it up as inventory).  But that's a lot of math and legwork and might also be completely wrong.  😆

So the goal of this idea originally was the following:

• Consolidate vehicles since we don't need two
  • Get rid, or lower, her monthly car payment
  • Be able to get a "new" vehicle every so often (this is just for me since I just get car itches, which is bad lol)

The biggest thing is I'm just not sure if I'm just literally throwing away $50k worth of my current vehicle to do this, or if that actually does get "invested" (maybe a bad term but idk) towards the leases. Like, I'm totally fine with paying $150/m in perpetuity to always have a new car every 3 years.

I mean if we really wanted to we could just sell her car and she'd take $8k out of pocket but then we'd only have one vehicle and my car isn't ideal for winter conditions, so the thought was to have one SUV that we both like to drive.

On 12/16/2023 at 11:24 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So the goal of this idea originally was the following:

• Consolidate vehicles since we don't need two
  • Get rid, or lower, her monthly car payment
  • Be able to get a "new" vehicle every so often (this is just for me since I just get car itches, which is bad lol)

The biggest thing is I'm just not sure if I'm just literally throwing away $50k worth of my current vehicle to do this, or if that actually does get "invested" (maybe a bad term but idk) towards the leases. Like, I'm totally fine with paying $150/m in perpetuity to always have a new car every 3 years.

I mean if we really wanted to we could just sell her car and she'd take $8k out of pocket but then we'd only have one vehicle and my car isn't ideal for winter conditions, so the thought was to have one SUV that we both like to drive.

Im in a similar spot but my wifes car is paid off. Its a little Civic but we have had the discussion to just sell it and take the 7-8k we can get for it.

We both work from home so its not like we drive all over the place and need 2 cars, however our hangup is that I KNOW for a fact that it sounds good in theory, but as soon as we go to 1 car--we will hate it and there will be a handful of times per year where it becomes a real issue.

I also have a hard time selling a car that is paid off because well, its a 'free' car. In 2 years when we realize having only 1 car is miserable, we then would have to go back out and start paying a monthly payment for a new car for her when we could have just kept her Civic with no payments.

Its a conundrum to say the least.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

I'm over here reading about you guys considering downsizing to 1 vehicle for your household while I have to actually think about it and make sure I dont forget any of mine. Its 8, assuming im not forgetting any.

awkward-black.gif

and yes I know I have a problem...too small of garage.

Early in the process, but with a kid on the way, our family would like to get a bigger vehicle.

Current considerations:

Volvo XC60 (probably Plug In Hybrid)
Kia Telluride
Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander

Probably in that order so far. Anyone own any? Pros and cons from your personal experiences?

54 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Early in the process, but with a kid on the way, our family would like to get a bigger vehicle.

Current considerations:

Kia Telluride
Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander

Probably in that order so far. Anyone own any? Pros and cons from your personal experiences?

So I had a Honda Civic when I first started driving for 9 years.  I got into an accident and totaled it and changed to a AWD Dodge Charger, which I had for 9 years and traded it  in back in May for a Toyota 4Runner.   I really liked my fiancée’s Rav4, and it took just one test-drive through Bowie (so I got the highway and neighborhood experience) to really fall in love with Toyota.  

Definitely recommend Toyota, hands down.  They are probably the car we will get again.  Her dad is a Toyota guy, and that are all of the cars they’ve had for 30 years and they all last a long time, drive well and have a lot less expense than I did with my Dodge.  

Friends of mine with kids do have the Telluride/Santa Fe and a RAV4/Volvo XC80 family.  We got our 4Runner thinking kids in the near future and wanting a third row as well.  Don’t think you can go wrong with any of those cars on the list for kids.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So I had a Honda Civic when I first started driving for 9 years.  I got into an accident and totaled it and changed to a AWD Dodge Charger, which I had for 9 years and traded it  in back in May for a Toyota 4Runner.   I really liked my fiancée’s Rav4, and it took just one test-drive through Bowie (so I got the highway and neighborhood experience) to really fall in love with Toyota.  

Definitely recommend Toyota, hands down.  They are probably the car we will get again.  Her dad is a Toyota guy, and that are all of the cars they’ve had for 30 years and they all last a long time, drive well and have a lot less expense than I did with my Dodge.  

Friends of mine with kids do have the Telluride/Santa Fe and a RAV4/Volvo XC80 family.  We got our 4Runner thinking kids in the near future and wanting a third row as well.  Don’t think you can go wrong with any of those cars on the list for kids.  

I've had a Toyota now (RAV4), and a Scion before this. I do love Toyota. I just ... didn't quite love the Highlander when I checked it out. It's just literally on the consideration list because I do like and trust Toyota.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Current considerations:

Kia Telluride
Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander

Embrace the minivan! Go Toyota Sienna. 

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 7:30 AM, Neumatic said:

I'm over here reading about you guys considering downsizing to 1 vehicle for your household while I have to actually think about it and make sure I dont forget any of mine. Its 8, assuming im not forgetting any.

awkward-black.gif

and yes I know I have a problem...too small of garage.

What is this even?  Like the weirdest humblebrag?  Or do you have an absolutely enormous family all in the same household?

On 12/22/2023 at 8:22 AM, MikeT14 said:

Current considerations:

Kia Telluride
Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander

I'd never personally own an SUV (i'm a conscientious objector).

But the new Volvo's like that XC60 are undeniably sharp looking, well-styled items.  They used to be really practical too and i know a bunch of Volvo owner fanatics or similar things from previous generations...but i don't even know anybody who has crossed that cost-Chinese made vs crazy cost threshold.

Kia's are still built like ****.  They've come a long ways from their origins, but they're still some of the worst, most inattentively built and designed vehicles on the road.  A friends parents owned for about a year and just threw money away to get rid of it and go get a Honda again.

Acura (well Honda basically)...but same difference, completely separate anectdcotal evidence...the MDX specifically is one of the ones tied up in the whole transmission issue.  Older ones for now, but it's not clear they've changed much and probably partially just because they've still just started to address a defective underdesigned issue and didn't want to even acknowledge it.  Car too heavy.  I secondhand know someone involved in that mess with one.

Toyota Highlander...i've never heard an unkind word.  But they cost a small fortune.

Just get with the program and buy a sweet Station Wagon.  It's hard these days, but do it imo.  It'll still have issues just like the others.  But it'll be more cool while it doesn't.

I drive one of the least reliable cars in the world by anecdotal evidence and have for over a dozen years now.  Still love it.  Wouldn't trade it for anything.  I give bad advice but also, just buy good **** and it feels a lot better to fix it.

Edited by Tugboat
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tugboat said:

What is this even?  Like the weirdest humblebrag?  Or do you have an absolutely enormous family all in the same household?

It's an observation of two completely different ways of thinking. Surely not bragging, not like theyre all master pieces. It's just me no big household, its all for my own satisfaction. It's just a hobby that I enjoy and a couple are semi's for work to support my poor financial decisions.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, MikeT14 said:

Current considerations:

Kia Telluride
Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander

Different markets, so depends what you’re looking to spend, and what’s most important to you.

Is it space, updated tech? Telluride.

Is it reliability and comfort? Highlander

Is it drive ability, reliability and a bit of luxury? MDX

The Volvo would be severely behind all of these IMO.

Check out the Grand Highlander, just came out and they are awesome.

Also, if you’re in for the luxury idea….Lexus TX. Price is in range with the MDX.

I swear by Toyotas, reliability is the best, resale value is top tier, and they just feel like a good vehicle. 

I’ve had a 4Runner, Camry, and now I have an RX350 and have loved every single one.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2023 at 10:22 AM, MikeT14 said:

Current considerations:

Kia Telluride
Acura MDX
Toyota Highlander

Hello, experience is that I worked in car dealerships for 10 years.

It all depends on what matters to you. Cost? New/Used? Features? Reliability?

What I can tell you is I would think twice about the Telluride. Kia's in recent years have had tremendous amounts of mechanical problems. Blown engines on top of blown engines. They also went through a phase (Im not sure if its still happening) where they have been a target of theft because something with their electronics system is incredibly easy to bypass to start the car and steal it. Your also paying 55k+ for a Kia. Be weary. There are way more quality built/ trustworthy cars in the same price bracket.

The only thing I know about Volvo is that they are pricy to maintain/fix compared to other brands and are average in terms of reliability but people who own them, love them.

The MDX is rock solid all around. My only gripe with Honda/Acura is that they are the complete opposite of Kia/Hyundai in the sense that if you want the bells and whistles--you have to get a higher trim level and really pay for them. If sunroof, premium audio/safety features/large touch screen/cooled seats matter to you, be prepared to pay.

If you want something that you wont have to worry about and just drive, the Highlander is it. There are going to be nicer options with better specs, but it is the 'safest' option out of your list. We couldnt keep Toyotas in stock because they sell so fast. They are reliable, cost effective and come with a decent amount of features regardless of trim though nothing is flashy about it like the MDX would be.

If cost isnt a huge concern--I would get a MDX AWD with the Technology or Advanced package. Just my opinion. If cost matters, I would go for the Highlander. If cost REALLY doesnt matter, I would get the Wagoneer 🤣

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:17 PM, bigbadbuff said:

Different markets, so depends what you’re looking to spend, and what’s most important to you.

Is it space, updated tech? Telluride.

Is it reliability and comfort? Highlander

Is it drive ability, reliability and a bit of luxury? MDX

The Volvo would be severely behind all of these IMO.

Check out the Grand Highlander, just came out and they are awesome.

Also, if you’re in for the luxury idea….Lexus TX. Price is in range with the MDX.

I swear by Toyotas, reliability is the best, resale value is top tier, and they just feel like a good vehicle. 

I’ve had a 4Runner, Camry, and now I have an RX350 and have loved every single one.

Yeah.  It's really just priorities.  What is important to you?  There are options in the SUV market.

Really just about what you prioritize.  Don't disagree with any of this really.  Except for Jeep beep.  Those scare the heck out of me.  Only Jeep i'd buy is a Quadrifoglio if i won the lottery.  Other Jeeps, they scare me.

The Lexus idea isn't that wild though at all.  Half the time you can scoop the Lexus Version of a Toyota for less than a new Toyota...which you can barely find, and probably the same as the used one you can find.  If you look at a lease return "used" Lexus...you'll get a way nicer SUV piece of **** for less money.  The market gets really distorted on "certified pre-owned" versions of the nicer model.

On 12/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Hello, experience is that I worked in car dealerships for 10 years.

It all depends on what matters to you. Cost? New/Used? Features? Reliability?

What I can tell you is I would think twice about the Telluride. Kia's in recent years have had tremendous amounts of mechanical problems. Blown engines on top of blown engines. They also went through a phase (Im not sure if its still happening) where they have been a target of theft because something with their electronics system is incredibly easy to bypass to start the car and steal it. Your also paying 55k+ for a Kia. Be weary. There are way more quality built/ trustworthy cars in the same price bracket.

The only thing I know about Volvo is that they are pricy to maintain/fix compared to other brands and are average in terms of reliability but people who own them, love them.

The MDX is rock solid all around. My only gripe with Honda/Acura is that they are the complete opposite of Kia/Hyundai in the sense that if you want the bells and whistles--you have to get a higher trim level and really pay for them. If sunroof, premium audio/safety features/large touch screen/cooled seats matter to you, be prepared to pay.

If you want something that you wont have to worry about and just drive, the Highlander is it. There are going to be nicer options with better specs, but it is the 'safest' option out of your list. We couldnt keep Toyotas in stock because they sell so fast. They are reliable, cost effective and come with a decent amount of features regardless of trim though nothing is flashy about it like the MDX would be.

If cost isnt a huge concern--I would get a MDX AWD with the Technology or Advanced package. Just my opinion. If cost matters, I would go for the Highlander. If cost REALLY doesnt matter, I would get the Wagoneer 🤣

The Kias are still just not there yet.  Be it blown engines, or just constant mechanical problems.  Or just right down to really poor fit and finish stuff coming apart.  They're making a lot of headway...but it's laughable to think they've even caught the "normal brands" at this point.  And for a lot of them, it's not even a high bar to hurdle.

Acura MDX is just one specific model i've heard of problems with, that definitely runs counter to the Honda ethos.  But it's almost certainly overblown.  It's just unusual for Honda to even have any criticism over reliability.

I actually kind of view Toyotas as that.  They just work.  But they're so disappointing.  They aren't nice, refined, or elegant in any way.  But they do feel like a rock solid piece of vehicle that will work.  Everything about the interior design is just..."that's functional i guess".  But it's the "obvious choice".  It'll just feel like a solid vehicle and do what you want it to without question.  Just depends on whether you want to enjoy that at all ever.

43 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  It's really just priorities.  What is important to you?  There are options in the SUV market.

Really just about what you prioritize.  Don't disagree with any of this really.  Except for Jeep beep.  Those scare the heck out of me.  Only Jeep i'd buy is a Quadrifoglio if i won the lottery.  Other Jeeps, they scare me.

The Lexus idea isn't that wild though at all.  Half the time you can scoop the Lexus Version of a Toyota for less than a new Toyota...which you can barely find, and probably the same as the used one you can find.  If you look at a lease return "used" Lexus...you'll get a way nicer SUV piece of **** for less money.  The market gets really distorted on "certified pre-owned" versions of the nicer model.

The Kias are still just not there yet.  Be it blown engines, or just constant mechanical problems.  Or just right down to really poor fit and finish stuff coming apart.  They're making a lot of headway...but it's laughable to think they've even caught the "normal brands" at this point.  And for a lot of them, it's not even a high bar to hurdle.

Acura MDX is just one specific model i've heard of problems with, that definitely runs counter to the Honda ethos.  But it's almost certainly overblown.  It's just unusual for Honda to even have any criticism over reliability.

I actually kind of view Toyotas as that.  They just work.  But they're so disappointing.  They aren't nice, refined, or elegant in any way.  But they do feel like a rock solid piece of vehicle that will work.  Everything about the interior design is just..."that's functional i guess".  But it's the "obvious choice".  It'll just feel like a solid vehicle and do what you want it to without question.  Just depends on whether you want to enjoy that at all ever.

Yeah I'm not trusting Kia for my money. However, I would gladly pay for their parent company Hyundai. I've owned 2 Hyundai and loved them both. Had a 2016 Sonata LTD and a 2011 Tiburon in college and the only thing I had to do for 8+ years of ownership was change the oil. Not a single mechanical or electronic issue with either. That's why if your in the market for the Telluride-I would look at the Palisade instead. Another car we could not keep in stock if our lives depended on it. They would sell before even hitting the lot

When I was looking for new cars I heard the same about Acura that the whole Honda reliability thing didn't rollover into Acura. I was looking at the RDX for my wife and it got pretty average reliability ratings which was shocking. I also remember over the last few years Honda itself has dropped in reliability because apparently around 2020 they got a new CEO or leadership team, something and they that's when their reliability began to go downhill.

Edited by AkronsWitness