The Car Thread

Dome

47 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Also that level of cold destroys batteries. 7 year battery life for most places might only be 4-5 up there right now. So its more wasting resources that could be put to better use elsewhere. Like Mexico where theyre building them all anyway. Where 90% of vehicles in the country couldnt hit 20mpg while having nearly triple the population of Canada.

Yeah.  Repeated -40 days every year will absolutely DESTROY a battery.

It's just a geographic reality that Canada is always going to be a bit more "energy intensive" per capita than more densely populated nations.  Between the extreme climate, and the sheer scale of distances between places...it just takes more energy to live there.

But that's why it's fortunate that it isn't that populous, outside of the handful of major centers.  And it's where like you said...you can make a far bigger dent in climate catastrophe, by using those resources on more densely populated places like Mexico.  Even if Canadians have more of the "GDP per capita" to be more attractive to Electric Car builders.

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Also that level of cold destroys batteries. 7 year battery life for most places might only be 4-5 up there right now. So its more wasting resources that could be put to better use elsewhere. Like Mexico where theyre building them all anyway. Where 90% of vehicles in the country couldnt hit 20mpg while having nearly triple the population of Canada.

The other issue is cold reduces the range.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

There's so much of Canada where Electric Cars just straight up don't make any sense.  It's going to be a problem sooner or later.  Even in the bigger centers, the infrastructure is really spotty when it comes to supporting that.  But there's so much of Canada that is more than an electric car's range from the nearest "major city".  So many areas where the power grid wasn't designed to accommodate that kind of draw from every household either.

So i kind of get why it's been such a half-hearted effort.  I'm not sure it's the technology to go "all-in" on investing in for a lot of Canada.  But it does make for a strain on supply of non-electric cars, and it's probably only going to get worse as models continue to drop off.  It'll just be people buying gas/diesel pickup trucks (which is i guess, more or less what it's like already).

I wanted to buy electric. I really did.

It simply doesn’t make sense unless it’s for urban use only and you install a charger at home.

We seem to drive from Ontario to Alberta every few years. It’s not practical in an electric vehicle.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 11:17 PM, diehardlionfan said:

It simply doesn’t make sense unless it’s for urban use only and you install a charger at home.

We seem to drive from Ontario to Alberta every few years. It’s not practical in an electric vehicle.

Yeah I’d be interested if the infrastructure was in place here, but it’s really not.  

We like to take road trips and they often involve getting fairly far off the beaten path where consistent access to charging stations just isn’t a thing yet.

I don’t think electric becomes totally viable for everyone until charging stations are in most parking lots.  When I can charge my vehicle at a restaurant in the middle of nowhere while having lunch I’m in, but I’m not sticking to interstates only and waiting at a random charging station for 40 min for my car to recharge.  Maybe I should, but I’m not going to.  Not when I can fill up my tank and take a leak in 10 min.

Additionally, I think a lot of people are going to need to see these things going 200k miles or more with limited repairs.  No way to hurry that tbh, just going to take time.  If the plan is subscription services and always having a payment, you’ll never win over a large portion of the market.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, diehardlionfan said:

This is why I love the plug in hybrids. Like the Rav4 prime. My wife wanted to trade in the GX460 for it but that is a gem that will live forever. We both work from home so I'm not worried about these gas prices.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 2:45 PM, BullsandBroncos said:

This is why I love the plug in hybrids. Like the Rav4 prime. My wife wanted to trade in the GX460 for it but that is a gem that will live forever. We both work from home so I'm not worried about these gas prices.

I don’t worry about gas prices. 

The other day I read an interesting argument. Fuel taxes here raise cash for roadway improvement etc. Those driving electric avoid paying those taxes. The guy was very upset.

I see it as another incentive to go electric.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:17 PM, diehardlionfan said:

Canada is one of the worst places on earth for an electric car. Cold, and long distances. 

Luckily Canada has vast O&G reserves.....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Canada is one of the worst places on earth for an electric car. Cold, and long distances. 

Luckily Canada has vast O&G reserves.....

LOL at our oil and gas reserves. Trying to increase production of anything energy related in Canada is like trying to pee in the corner of a round room. 

Today gas price converted to U.S. gallon is $7.41. It was almost $8.00 last week. The plan here is to price fossil fuels through the roof making it prohibitive to drive anything but electric. 

In the year 2235 100% of car and light truck sales have to be electric. It’s a graduated increase commencing in 2026.

Its questionable, especially in Ontario if the electrical grid can handle that many electric vehicles.

I leased my current vehicle with the lease terminating in 2026. By then I will personally be able to better evaluate infrastructure, operating costs etc. I also expect the residual to be below market value so I can buy it to keep or sell.

So I’m stocked up on popcorn because as this roles out there’s sure to be unintended consequences. 

Spotted a 1972 Jaguar XJ6 in a 5 foot mountain of blackberry bushes.

Never really seen one before, barely could see that one. But I think Im in love. Searching around, theres an incredible amount of late 60s-early 70s models to be had as projects.

Any fans? I just want to hear 1 person say, "YES! DO IT! SCREW THE SCOUT!"

8 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Spotted a 1972 Jaguar XJ6 in a 5 foot mountain of blackberry bushes.

Never really seen one before, barely could see that one. But I think Im in love. Searching around, theres an incredible amount of late 60s-early 70s models to be had as projects.

Any fans? I just want to hear 1 person say, "YES! DO IT! SCREW THE SCOUT!"

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

*this is coming from the guy that has his unborn children's entire inheritance wrapped up in a race car and 3 projects. But id go Scout over any Jaguar every day of the week. 

16 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

*this is coming from the guy that has his unborn children's entire inheritance wrapped up in a race car and 3 projects. But id go Scout over any Jaguar every day of the week. 

Its more. Do I want a practical daily driver to enjoy? Or do I want a "Sunday Driver" I can take to shows, gatherings, take on classic car rallies/events?

Just the fact it made me start thinking in those regards. Feels like I need to reopen the book real quick and make sure I nail exactly what I want.

What kind of projects you have going if you dont mind me asking?

1 hour ago, PARROTHEAD said:What kind of projects you have going if you dont mind me asking?

Racecar is a 2010 Camaro, Forged 427 with F1C procharger, bigger better procharger coming soon. Looking to run in the 8’s in 1/4 mile.

1952 Chevy 4100 1.5ton flat bed. Almost entirely original. Just spun a bearing in the original 235 inline 6 last month right after rebuilding the transmission. Built a sbc 350 for it, working on fitting it in now. Should be back up and running soon. 

1957 Chevy 3100 pickup. In-line 6, 3 on the tree standard. This is the newest project, I have a vision just haven’t had the room to start the work yet. Going to be a cruiser that’s borderline car show worthy. The plan is a small block Chevy with a 5 or 6 speed standard. Mustang II front suspension, lowered just a bit. AC is a must, probably power steering as well. Custom paint and interior.

1987 S10 set up for sbc with TH400 automatic. No engine in it right now, my dad needed his engine back. So it’s on the back burner currently, maybe get an engine together for it this winter. I have my original LS3 out of my Camaro that I can rebuild, I have everything to build just need some machine work done. will have to change everything for that since it’s an LS though, engine mounts, exhaust, accessory drive pulleys etc. Probably easier to just build another sbc since everything is set up for it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Racecar is a 2010 Camaro, Forged 427 with F1C procharger, bigger better procharger coming soon. Looking to run in the 8’s in 1/4 mile.

1952 Chevy 4100 1.5ton flat bed. Almost entirely original. Just spun a bearing in the original 235 inline 6 last month right after rebuilding the transmission. Built a sbc 350 for it, working on fitting it in now. Should be back up and running soon. 

1957 Chevy 3100 pickup. In-line 6, 3 on the tree standard. This is the newest project, I have a vision just haven’t had the room to start the work yet. Going to be a cruiser that’s borderline car show worthy. The plan is a small block Chevy with a 5 or 6 speed standard. Mustang II front suspension, lowered just a bit. AC is a must, probably power steering as well. Custom paint and interior.

1987 S10 set up for sbc with TH400 automatic. No engine in it right now, my dad needed his engine back. So it’s on the back burner currently, maybe get an engine together for it this winter. I have my original LS3 out of my Camaro that I can rebuild, I have everything to build just need some machine work done. will have to change everything for that since it’s an LS though, engine mounts, exhaust, accessory drive pulleys etc. Probably easier to just build another sbc since everything is set up for it. 

A cousin has been hunting a 91 S10 with the 4.3. (Same his dad had 30 years ago) You mention vehicles to him. And that 4.3 will be brought up somehow. He adores that motor.

Your 52 flatbed sounds interesting. I checked out a Ford COE Box a couple weeks ago in front a bread plant/factory. $7500. I could write it off as a business expense. But my shop was built in the 40s, with 10 foot ceiling and 7 foot doors. lol

cMtQktM.jpg

Whats your plans for her? Im going to guess a dump bed is in store.