The Car Thread

Dome

2 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

God Bless you good sir. Some of the engines aren't bad but the parts and repairs are rough

Only reason I got it was because I own automotive shops so if anything were to happen then I can take care of it but man that gas consumption is not fun 

Edited by rocky_rams

21 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Only reason I got it was because I own automotive shops so if anything were to happen then I can take care of it but man that gas consumption is not fun 

I hear you. My sister has a G Wagon and I'm like bruh that makes my wife's GX460 look like an EV in terms of gas mileage 

• Like 1

On 3/2/2022 at 11:11 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

My roommate in college bought a 77 Ford Wagon from the local HS VoTech for 200 bucks. Everyone loved that beast. Was a tailgating machine. Had a fantastic 460 in it that guzzled at a rate around 8mpg.

They were made in the days when gas was cheap. Big fuel tank, big motor. 

18 hours ago, BullsandBroncos said:

I hear you. My sister has a G Wagon and I'm like bruh that makes my wife's GX460 look like an EV in terms of gas mileage 

Bit OT. But Ive bid on a couple older G Wagons that were blown or had major issues. Looking for an electric conversion project.

If I cant track one before next winter. Im rolling with a Harvester Scout. Which Id go with now. But any Ive checked would take 100 hours on the interior cab alone. Seats, mounts, floorpans, dash, gauges, wiring. All the stuff I hate.

The $8,400 estimate was from the dealer it's for a new 66rfe transmission with 36 month 100,000 mile warranty also need new pump and cooler since metal shavings were found throughout the whole system. I think if things were a little more flexible in my current situation I would take the time to find a possible cheaper remedy but I need my truck back more than anything else right now. I did contact a local shop who said I would be looking at the same wait times through them and they advised for me just to stick with where it is since I would be starting all over if I switched. New update the arrival date got pushed to the 21st of this month so I'll be without it for 2 months when everything is over.🤬

• Like 1

Anyone know of anyplace that sells car warranties, I have seen carshield commercials but I wonder if there is any better options. My daughter has a vw jetta 2016 tsi with almost 90k on it and I know it's just a matter of time before I get clobbered by it.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

so I'm about to buy a Honda Accord today for 24 K . 

I can't help and look around and see a low mileage Mercedes C Class for 34k... is it worth it to spend the extra 10k for luxury? is maintenance really that much for a Mercedes ?

I’ve only heard horror stories on maintenance - once something goes wrong, it never gets right again and only costs more money every time you take it back in.

Ultimately, that might not bother you, but considering you’re looking at the Honda Accord - you’re literally talking the other side of the spectrum in relation to maintenance and issues. You can pretty much do anything to an Accord (save for driving it off a cliff) and it’ll still run like normal. With standard maintenance/checks, you can put close to a half million miles on it, I’d say. Even if something went wrong (let’s say you DID drive it off a cliff) parts are cheap, plentiful and will restore the vehicle to near mint condition.

My personal thought is don’t overthink this - the MB is going to be sexier, but the headache and cost are going to escalate. The Honda is practical, and your costs and headaches are going to be significantly less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

My personal thought is don’t overthink this - the MB is going to be sexier, but the headache and cost are going to escalate. The Honda is practical, and your costs and headaches are going to be significantly less.

Spoken like somebody who is getting regular "maintenance" at home.
If the guy is trying to get laid, then the Accord ain't the bait he needs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

I’ve only heard horror stories on maintenance - once something goes wrong, it never gets right again and only costs more money every time you take it back in.

Ultimately, that might not bother you, but considering you’re looking at the Honda Accord - you’re literally talking the other side of the spectrum in relation to maintenance and issues. You can pretty much do anything to an Accord (save for driving it off a cliff) and it’ll still run like normal. With standard maintenance/checks, you can put close to a half million miles on it, I’d say. Even if something went wrong (let’s say you DID drive it off a cliff) parts are cheap, plentiful and will restore the vehicle to near mint condition.

Would say the same thing.

I dont even see competition between a New Accord or a Used Benz. My woman just got in her Hybrid HRV. Tired of getting 19mpg in the Lincoln. And youd think thered be a huge step down. But outside plastic on the doors instead of them being wrapped in wood/leather. I think its a smoother ride, feel less vibration through the wheel. And so far has chugged along hovering in that 40mpg range. We tried all sizes in that class. Went with Honda cause they were incredible to deal with, the mpg and that ride quality.

Its not just the car you buy when purchasing a new vehicle. But it is with used.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Spoken like somebody who is getting regular "maintenance" at home.
If the guy is trying to get laid, then the Accord ain't the bait he needs

More reminded me of something Gordon Ramsey said to a chef after they rolled up in an M3.

"Geez, How small is it?"

😄

On 3/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, PARROTHEAD said:

Bit OT. But Ive bid on a couple older G Wagons that were blown or had major issues. Looking for an electric conversion project.

If I cant track one before next winter. Im rolling with a Harvester Scout. Which Id go with now. But any Ive checked would take 100 hours on the interior cab alone. Seats, mounts, floorpans, dash, gauges, wiring. All the stuff I hate.

We’ve owned a few scouts over the years. Very under appreciated vehicle.