The Car Thread

Dome

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Neither of these will be good for any sort of "driver gig hustle".  They're both insanely inefficient.  They may also last forever mechanically...but there's a point at which, especially in certain climates...you'll just be driving around in a completely rusted out shell of a vehicle.

There's also a point where all that rust will become a supreme factor in even dealing with problems when they arise.  Bolts that have become a part of the frame, in a bad way, etc.  You'll run into that.

I get 22 Highway in my Tacoma. Not terrible. Tundra definitely is a gas hog though. Thirstiest truck on the market that is naturally aspirated.

as for the rusted frames, the newer generation of vehicles haven't had that problem. But if you live in the Midwest or north east, anything and everything will be a rust bucket. Just a matter of when.

I figured the Tundra was gonna be a gas hog like any other higher end pick up.

Sounds like Tacmo might be the best option. I doubt I'll be doing any extra heavy duty towing/hauling, but I do like the idea of being prepared for anything.

4 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

If gas really does keep going up, it’s around $3.50 where i live it’ll be really tough for me to keep a big SUV.  I’m not really a sedan guy but it’s too logical

Could always get a Wagon, and keep 90% of the functionality of most SUVs, with better efficiency.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Could always get a Wagon, and keep 90% of the functionality of most SUVs, with better efficiency.

I had a 1978 Montego Woodside Wagon. Probably the most functional car I ever owned. The kids could go wild in it. Just head to the wand wash, open the doors and hose it out. Kid proof, dog proof and mess proof.

6 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I had a 1978 Montego Woodside Wagon. Probably the most functional car I ever owned. The kids could go wild in it. Just head to the wand wash, open the doors and hose it out. Kid proof, dog proof and mess proof.

My roommate in college bought a 77 Ford Wagon from the local HS VoTech for 200 bucks. Everyone loved that beast. Was a tailgating machine. Had a fantastic 460 in it that guzzled at a rate around 8mpg.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:10 AM, bigbadbuff said:

If gas really does keep going up, it’s around $3.50 where i live it’ll be really tough for me to keep a big SUV.  I’m not really a sedan guy but it’s too logical

I would love to have a $3.50 per gallon problem. 

we are at $5.00 a gallon in California