Washington trades for Ereck Flowers

ovfd55

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wow. We drop down 14 spots in the 7th AND get a starting Guard? Yeah. That's a great trade.

Yep.  It likely means nothing about Charles at LG or Scherff as this now diminishes the commitment to Flowers as competition only.  And in that case, tie goes to Charles because Flowers is on a 1 year deal only.  Maybe Rivera is playing the comp pick game with this opportunity assuming Flowers goes to another team next year.

5 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Yep.  It likely means nothing about Charles at LG or Scherff as this now diminishes the commitment to Flowers as competition only.  And in that case, tie goes to Charles because Flowers is on a 1 year deal only.  Maybe Rivera is playing the comp pick game with this opportunity assuming Flowers goes to another team next year.

Wait. He signed a 3 year deal last year. Doesn't that mean he has 2 years left? I don't think this diminishes him at all. He's making like $10m this year right?

Even if he only has one, Flowers did well as a Guard for us before. So I imagine that he would be the starter. If we're going to prime the comp pick game, we can't do it with #2's or #3's. So you put Flowers out there, and expect he continues to play well. Because it's good for the team and also good for him in FA to get a bigger deal (and us to get a better comp pick).

Either way, I think it's good competition for all of them. We've been missing good Guard play at LG and having him back will be a good thing IMHO.

9 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Flowers has two years left on his deal and we’re covering $19M according to what was reported today by JI Halsell. Flowers is starting. 

5 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Are you saying Flowers is strictly a left guard? Just asking. I guess he played there for Miami last year and has not played right guard but we can flip Schweitzer to that side.

Well the Flowers story began with him being drafted as a top 10 pick to be a left tackle.  He failed.  Then they moved him to Right Tackle.  Failed.  Finally we moved him to Left Guard and he found some success.  Everyone cheered.  I thought he was solid, but he wasn't like Nelson or someone like that.  It almost seemed like we were upgrading him just because it was a successful spin of the dice.

So he hasn't really been tried at RG or C, but I think after such a hard search you have to stick with where you found success. 

Of course, Rivera probably likes the position flex even though he sucks at the other positions.  Rivera seems obsessed with position flex.

Just my opinion.  Who knows, maybe he is a world beater at RG.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Wait. He signed a 3 year deal last year. Doesn't that mean he has 2 years left? I don't think this diminishes him at all. He's making like $10m this year right?

Even if he only has one, Flowers did well as a Guard for us before. So I imagine that he would be the starter. If we're going to prime the comp pick game, we can't do it with #2's or #3's. So you put Flowers out there, and expect he continues to play well. Because it's good for the team and also good for him in FA to get a bigger deal (and us to get a better comp pick).

Either way, I think it's good competition for all of them. We've been missing good Guard play at LG and having him back will be a good thing IMHO.

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Flowers has two years left on his deal and we’re covering $19M according to what was reported today by JI Halsell. Flowers is starting. 

Miami took 6M of the cap just to get rid of him.  So we are only paying 3M this year.   His deal for next year is 10M, but it is completely voidable.  Zero dead cap.  So yeah, 1 year deal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Is the last year guaranteed?  He might be fairly easy to move if we need to. 

At any rate, I like this move because it should give us an upgrade at LG this year (maybe next) and gives us some flexibility with Scherff.  Hopefully one of our developmental linemen (Charles, Martin) will, well, develop into a solid starter before next season.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Miami took 6M of the cap just to get rid of him.  So we are only paying 3M this year.   His deal for next year is 10M, but it is completely voidable.  Zero dead cap.  So yeah, 1 year deal.

I don’t think you get a compensation pick if you void the contract though

• Like 1

I think most fans are overrating Flowers a bit here but it is hard not to like this trade. We desperately needed Oline depth or some resolution to the Brandon Scherff debacle. I'm secretly wanting to see an Ereck Flowers & Wyatt Davis guard combo. Our offensive line would be HUGE!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think most fans are overrating Flowers a bit here but it is hard not to like this trade. We desperately needed Oline depth or some resolution to the Brandon Scherff debacle. I'm secretly wanting to see an Ereck Flowers & Wyatt Davis guard combo. Our offensive line would be HUGE!

I’d love to see that combo. We’d be set at guard for at least 2 years. Interesting though, spotrac says his cap hit this year is $3 million and we could cut him after this year and get out of his contract and not have to pay him $10 million next year if he’s not good for us this year. So, this could be just a one-year rental or an “in case Scherff won’t re-sign a long term deal” trade.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/ereck-flowers-16733/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Great. That’s for that info. Good deal. If he really plays well I’m sure we’ll keep him in 2022 or even extend him, if he doesn’t play well next year we’ll probably it him after this year. Either way it sets us up pretty nicely.

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Yes, I know that it is voidable. But it's still 2 years left in the deal. So if we needed to keep him past this year, we could. That was my point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think you get a compensation pick if you void the contract though

You don't. And if he plays well this year, paying $10m for a starting Guard in 2022 I don't think is a huge amount (admittedly I haven't seen the other Guard contracts, it just doesn't strike me as too prohibitive)