Washington trades for Ereck Flowers

ovfd55

26 minutes ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Curious what folks think we could get for Scherff in picks?

In the (brief) recent history of franchise-and-trade deals, there’s been a lot of future picks involved. Perhaps on occasion that’s because the deal happens after the current year’s draft, but I think it’s likely a result of the acquiring team usually being one that’s making the move because they’re trying to win now. They may be willing to give up more value if it’s in the future, and not something that will detract from the current plan. The trading team, on the other hand, is giving up a current player good enough to be worthy of a franchise tag, so their focus is always a little longer-term. 

My thought is a future 2nd is probably the best we could do. Maybe could dream up some kind of creative pick swap in the current draft, but if we’re talking straight up, I’d think the absolute high end is the Jets at 66 — basically if they’re really invested in making sure they get some quality protection in front Wilson. 

• Like 2

Honestly, they really almost have to make some kind of move now. They’ve now got about $32M in 2021 cap committed to the OG position, between 3 guys. That’s well over 1/6 of the total cap, for one of the less important positions on the field. Then add in that Roullier and Moses are both pretty well-paid at the C and RT spots, and it’s a pretty damn expensive OL — especially for a group that still isn’t that great.

• Like 2

Interesting. Why didn’t they just sign Flowers last year? I guess they didn’t know they’d have trouble re-signing Scherff?

Ah well, I’m happy to have Flowers back.

It will be interesting to see if now we trade Scherff. I sure hope we do trade Scherff and at least get a 2nd.

As for Charles, it seems if we trade Scherff that Charles could be a starter at guard still, just maybe RG instead of LG. It’s clear Charles has a lot of talent but he also has a lot to prove as well so we’ll see how that goes. I’d like for him to prove he can be a starter at LT or G, but I can’t really say it will for sure happen yet.

3 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That’s a big discount. Why did Miami want to dump this guy so badly? He wasn’t terrible for them, at least from what I’ve heard.

think his whole deal was guarnteed for this season so they couldn't cut him but wanted to save some money.

That trade was strictly to free a small amount of money for Miami, while paying 2/3 of this years contract. I didn’t hear anything that he was an issue for them? Still worth it and Still only 27 and played well. That’s ok with me!

Edited by ARTMONK HOF

3 hours ago, mar29020 said:

guys there are two guards positions. just because we did this trade doesnt mean we are trading brandon. U dont build a line by trading the best player on the line. 

Yes, there are two Guard positions. But you do this if you want to try to move Scherff, or if you want to provide solid depth at the position and prepare for him leaving next offseason. This way, we have a guy we know that can play at Guard and if Scherff plays here this year and leaves next FA, we just need to grab a G in the first 3 rounds in 2022.