2021 Broncos Draft Thread

broncosfan_101

A thing I think: we (as fans) are really hoping to not hear “we have a trade,” cause that’s not gonna be us. If there are no trades in front of us, I think there’s a real good chance one of Fields or Lance falls to 1.9, but I’d be quite surprised if we moved up for anyone. If there are no trades, you’re looking at ATL, DET, and CAR as potential QB spots, but I’d be mildly surprised if any of them went that direction. Right now I’m guessing the top 6 are Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Pitts, Sewell, and Chase. If DET goes receiver, that would be *ideal*. Then CAR could choose between Slater and Surtain, leaving Fields to fall to 1.9. But honestly, if DET wants Waddle or Smith, they should have their choice at 1.9 if we’d offer 3.71 to get their pick. CAR’s not picking a receiver at 1.8. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

A thing I think: we (as fans) are really hoping to not hear “we have a trade,” cause that’s not gonna be us. If there are no trades in front of us, I think there’s a real good chance one of Fields or Lance falls to 1.9, but I’d be quite surprised if we moved up for anyone. If there are no trades, you’re looking at ATL, DET, and CAR as potential QB spots, but I’d be mildly surprised if any of them went that direction. Right now I’m guessing the top 6 are Lawrence, Wilson, Lance, Pitts, Sewell, and Chase. If DET goes receiver, that would be *ideal*. Then CAR could choose between Slater and Surtain, leaving Fields to fall to 1.9. But honestly, if DET wants Waddle or Smith, they should have their choice at 1.9 if we’d offer 3.71 to get their pick. CAR’s not picking a receiver at 1.8. 

I think Paton 'only really considering a QB' if they fall to #9 is a lie to be honest. If you like a guy like a QB enough, you will trade up to make sure you get him. I think its more of a question of if Paton likes Fields over Lock enough to make it happen. I just dont know how many team go 'oh well if hes there at our pick then yeah but if hes not then no'.

With QB you are either sold on this is the guy you want or not and if you are sold, you will pay whatever the cost to make it happen.

44 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think Paton 'only really considering a QB' if they fall to #9 is a lie to be honest. If you like a guy like a QB enough, you will trade up to make sure you get him. I think its more of a question of if Paton likes Fields over Lock enough to make it happen. I just dont know how many team go 'oh well if hes there at our pick then yeah but if hes not then no'.

With QB you are either sold on this is the guy you want or not and if you are sold, you will pay whatever the cost to make it happen.

I completely agree with your strategy, but coming from the land of 10,000 trade down’s, stating he’d like to have 10 picks, AND giving up a pick for a QB already...I’ll believe Paton trades up when I see it. 

Maybe it’s all smoke. I’d love that. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

I completely agree with your strategy, but coming from the land of 10,000 trade down’s, stating he’d like to have 10 picks, AND giving up a pick for a QB already...I’ll believe Paton trades up when I see it. 

Maybe it’s all smoke. I’d love that. 

Yep I see what your saying. I just have a extreme frustration with this team right now and I'm so burnt out on sub par QB play year after year. 

We have a top 3-5 most talented roster in the NFL that's ready to win now. That's what makes this even more frustrating that they are not going "all in" on a top level guy.

If we were let's say.......the Detroit Lions. I would understand not going crazy and stock piling picks. But the Broncos roster is 100x different than the Lions. The Broncos done need 10 more rookies. They need a QB and that's it. Just burnt out from dancing around it for so long

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yep I see what your saying. I just have a extreme frustration with this team right now and I'm so burnt out on sub par QB play year after year. 

We have a top 3-5 most talented roster in the NFL that's ready to win now. That's what makes this even more frustrating that they are not going "all in" on a top level guy.

If we were let's say.......the Detroit Lions. I would understand not going crazy and stock piling picks. But the Broncos roster is 100x different than the Lions. The Broncos done need 10 more rookies. They need a QB and that's it. Just burnt out from dancing around it for so long

My assumption with Paton not going QB is that the top 4 aren’t there by time Detroit is OTC.  Then I get why Paton waits for Watson / Wilson / 2022.   If Fields is there at 1.7 it would be tough to swallow standing pat. 

It’s frustrating because the roster is good enough to start competing - with a top QB they are legit playoff contenders this year with a 4th place schedule.   Long term we’d want top 5-6 ceiling play to compete with Mahomes / Herbert.    Fields has that home run ceiling.  But I also don’t see Jones as that kind of guy.   If Fields goes 1.3 I do think the window to get QB Rd1 dries up quickly.   SF’s pick really changes Paton’s choices.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

My assumption with Paton not going QB is that the top 4 aren’t there by time Detroit is OTC.  Then I get why Paton waits for Watson / Wilson / 2022.   If Fields is there at 1.7 it would be tough to swallow standing pat. 

It’s frustrating because the roster is good enough to start competing - with a top QB they are legit playoff contenders this year with a 4th place schedule.   Long term we’d want top 5-6 ceiling play to compete with Mahomes / Herbert.    Fields has that home run ceiling.  But I also don’t see Jones as that kind of guy.   If Fields goes 1.3 I do think the window to get QB Rd1 dries up quickly.   SF’s pick really changes Paton’s choices.  

Right on. You are playing in a division with Mahomes/Herbert and Carr isnt terrible. You have to go and get your weapon to compete or else your going nowhere fast.

The worst part is, continuing to draft high level position players keeps the rest of the roster talented which means winning more games, but not enough games to matter.

They are just putting themselves in the same situation every year by doing that. Not bad enough to get a elite QB talent and not good enough to make the playoffs. They are in this weird middle-ground without a franchise QB talent. You have to bite the bullet and make the move eventually because until then--we are just wasting talent and spinning tires on the way to 4-7 wins every year.

Quit drafting scared, quit being passive. Make a move for the first time since the 80s.

Edited by AkronsWitness

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

This better not be the Broncos trading out of the top 10. I swear. Better get some more supplies for the white russians. 

If the top 4 QB's are gone, I can get behind it.   It would likely come with 3 1sts for that type of move back.

I woudn't be happy if we passed on Fields at 7, but we have no control on who's likely going to be in range.   

Edited by Broncofan

43 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If the top 4 QB's are gone, I can get behind it.   It would likely come with 3 1sts for that type of move back.

I woudn't be happy if we passed on Fields at 7, but we have no control on who's likely going to be in range.   

The book value for that move would be something like their 2nd this year, and their 1st next. I think if it’s for a QB, you could hold pretty firm on an ask of 1st’s and 2nd’s both this year and next. 

@grizmo78

Edited by broncosfan_101
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, broncosfan_101 said:

The book value for that move would be something like their 2nd this year, and their 1st next. I think if it’s for a QB, you could hold pretty firm on an ask of 1st’s and 2nd’s both this year and next. 

@grizmo78

Book value only matters when demand is low, to see how much of a discount sellers give.   When multiple teams want to move up, these deals always goes over book value for QB's.   Again, if it's not for QB, rarely are there multiple buyers, which is why they go at or below book value (like us moving back with Pitt for Devin Bush).

It's kinda moot until we know who's on the board, but book value is just a reference - the seller/buyer-friendly conditions matter more this early.

Edited by Broncofan