GDT - NFL Draft

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

A good example why I never expected two CBs to go in the top 9.

Broncos should have drafted fields. We would have Surtain. Giants smith. Eagles Parsons. 

They've got a lot of talent in that secondary, that's for sure.

I wonder what the draft would have looked like if one of the CBs had fallen. Something like:

1-Surtain   
2-Moehrig trade up?   
3-Osa
3-Cox (goes earlier since we didn’t have Parsons)   
3-Gholston

Or I suppose we could’ve drafted Bolton/JOK at #44, and everything else would’ve stayed the same.

54 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I wonder what the draft would have looked like if one of the CBs had fallen. Something like:

1-Surtain   
2-Moehrig trade up?   
3-Osa
3-Cox (goes earlier since we didn’t have Parsons)   
3-Gholston

Or I suppose we could’ve drafted Bolton/JOK at #44, and everything else would’ve stayed the same.

I don't see us trading with the Eagles if Surtain is at 10. So we drop a third rounder.

I also wonder if Bolton isn't the play in the 2nd. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I don't see us trading with the Eagles if Surtain is at 10. So we drop a third rounder.

I also wonder if Bolton isn't the play in the 2nd. 

You are right. Oops.

Based on how clearly length and speed were emphasized by our front office, I think Bolton wasn’t on our list, but who knows.

22 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Does it make anyone else feel better that we aren’t the only organization that regularly botches things? Lmao, trade away from your guy to pick up the 191st pick in the draft. Much happier that the Eagles have Williams than McNeill.

Roseman is probably gone in a year or 2. The fan base here in Philly metro area absolutely hate Howie! Would love to see him continue to make poor player acquisitions and poor draft selections!! 

Edited by textaz03

On 5/4/2021 at 12:58 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

They’ll come to regret it more than Paxton Lynch once Fields is a star. I take solace in that.

Yeah I mean I didn't know whether to be pissed or laugh at the fact they took Surtain before us. I mean great you got a CB1 but the Justin Fields disrespect is real, I want him to ball out.

If we didn’t sign Dak, I would have lost it if we passed up fields there.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

Quick grades now that I’ve had the chance to watch everyone:

12) Micah Parsons - C+
I’ve documented my thoughts on Parsons pretty thoroughly. In the long run, I don’t think you win making big bets on raw players with character concerns who play non-premium positions. But certainly on an idiosyncratic basis, Micah has potential to become an exception to that rule. We’ll have to see how it plays out. Early in his career, he’ll be used a lot as a blitzer/DPR, while learning how to be a true linebacker. I’d guess he’ll probably have a nice highlight reel of splash plays by the end of his rookie season, but doubt he will be a guy making the down-after-down routine plays. He’ll need to develop that ability quickly, because we need him to be our starting Mike linebacker in 2022. I think not taking the Chicago trade is going to end up as a real thorn in the side of our draft. 

44) Kelvin Joseph - B-
I’ll start by saying that the guy can definitely play football. Probably no cornerback in football put up better tape against Alabama, and he was even better against Tennessee. So if you want to get excited about him, watch those games. There is a lot of Marcus Peters here, both the good and the bad. And the bad worries me...a lot. It clearly must have worried NFL teams too, or he’s an easy first rounder. The football character is highly questionable. The effort on the field is often disappointing, though he does seem focused when he has a big-time matchup. He’s been asked to leave 2 college programs, and wonder if the same trend will continue into the NFL (the way it did for Peters). I would have gone a different direction (trade up for Moehrig, probably), and taken Adebo at #75. The boom-or-bust factor of our top-2 picks makes me a bit nervous, but make no mistake, the boom potential is certainly there. Pretty decent chance that Joseph is our best rookie. 

75) Osa Odighizua - B+
I wrote about him in his own thread. Big fan. He has a whole lot of 1-tech traits (toughness, leverage, strength, relentlessness) in a 3-tech’s body. Based on his tape and frame, I imagined him putting on weight and becoming an impact 1-tech. But he also went to the Senior Bowl and dominated pass rush drills, so he probably has a good future wherever they decide to play him. As a rookie, I’m guessing they play him all up and down the line. Long-term, this guy could be a starter. There aren’t any players that were drafted before our next pick that I really regretted missing out on, but Adebo being there does make my heart hurt a bit about potential other directions we could have gone in the first two rounds.

84) Chauncey Golston - C+   
I loved Golston as a later round target. With his length, toughness, and ability to close, he has the potential to be a good rotational DL and high-character lockerroom guy. A pretty good replacement for Tyrone Crawford, and maybe an occasional spot starter. I think he can be especially effective lining up as a DT in obvious passing downs, and using his length to dominate guards, similar to the way Greg Hardy used to have most of his success (though Golston is obviously not as good as Hardy). But I think there was some missed opportunity here. My choice would have been Spencer Brown, the perfect OT to groom into your future LT. But, this is a fine, low-risk pick.

99) Nahshon Wright - F
For arguments sake, let’s say you give them a pass for the evaluation (how they preferred Nahshon to Melifonwu or Molden at cornerback, I don’t know). And let’s say you give them a pass for *once again* listening to their DC over their scouting department (scouts wanted Cox). Even then, this is a failed pick. If Wright ends up being a good talent, what’s his path to playing time in Dallas? Catastrophic injury? In 4 seasons if we let Diggs walk? There were LBs, DTs, and OTs with clear potential journeys into the starting lineup during their rookie contracts. I think this is going to go down as one of the more laughable draft picks Dallas has made.

115) Jabril Cox - A+
I don’t have much to say about this pick that hasn’t been said. Absolutely mammoth steal this late in the draft. A linebacker who covers better than most of the safeties, fell because he isn’t a dominant run defender. That’s the sort of arbitrage that great NFL teams take advantage of. Had we landed one of the cornerbacks in round #1, I think Cox would have been a good choice at #44, and clear choice at #75. This pick makes the everything that came before it much more palatable. Cox is your 2022 starting WLB. Take it to the bank.

138) Josh Ball - F   
What are you doing, Dallas? How is this guy worth betting on? Yuck.

179) Simi Fehoko - A   
To grab a guy with these tools so late in the draft is a really big win. When you watch him, he is clearly an NFL receiver. Without such a deep WR draft, he never lasts this long. I think he’s the odds on favorite to replace Michael Gallup in 2022, and their skillsets are not entirely different. He should be a lock to make the 2021 roster, and I’d wager Kellen Moore has some fun ideas for how to use him as a rookie.

192) Quinton Bohanna - B   
Fat guy with some potential. Not sure what else you could want from a pick this late. He’s really limited right now, so he could be a practice squad candidate.

227) Israel Mukuamu - B+   
Like with Bohanna, it’s hard to really stand out or fail at this point in the draft. I like Mukuamu. He fits Quinn’s profile, and has some legit FS potential. I hope he can stick as a special teamer as a rookie, because I’d like to see how he develops as a defender.

238) Matt Farniok - B-   
Though he’ll never live up to the McQuistan standard, Farniok is an ogre in his own right. We needed depth on the interior IOL, and we grabbed someone with a lot of experience, as well as team captain. Probable practice squadder early in his career. Low upside, like just about every 7th rounder.

Overall - C+
We’ve had worse drafts, but it certainly felt like we were swimming upstream from the moment the Broncos took Patrick Surtain. The overall haul was decent, but in comparison to the opportunity cost (potential drafts we could have had by making different picks), we really fell short. A Slater-Bolton-Adebo draft? Or how about Newsome-JOK-Chicago 2022 1st rounder? Makes me a little sick to think about, so I’m just going to focus on what we got. Which I think is 2 future starting LBs, potentially an immediate CB1, a future starter at DT, and some solid rotation pieces. Not terrible. If a “C” is average, I’m adding the “+” because of the potential upside of Parsons and Joseph.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, D82 said:

Re: Wright - most NFL teams line up in nickel the majority of the time now. So, I imagine the plan is to have Diggs, Joseph and Wright as the top three moving forward.

None of the three are ideally suited for the slot. Joseph can probably do it, but you aren’t maximizing his skillset there. If you wanted to set yourself up for nickel, Molden makes more sense. Also, while re-sign Lewis?

It’s all irrelevant, because he’s a long shot to be a good player. But even if he is, it forces a square peg into a round hole.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

None of the three are ideally suited for the slot. Joseph can probably do it, but you aren’t maximizing his skillset there. If you wanted to set yourself up for nickel, Molden makes more sense. Also, while re-sign Lewis?

It’s all irrelevant, because he’s a long shot to be a good player. But even if he is, it forces a square peg into a round hole.

Would you feel better (or worse) if the scouts were honest with you and said absent Horn & Surtain they were not 100% confident in any of them? And as such double dipped to hope to hit on one. 

[Not saying this is the case, but I wonder if a moneyball approach to football would be treated well by fans]

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Would you feel better (or worse) if the scouts were honest with you and said absent Horn & Surtain they were not 100% confident in any of them? And as such double dipped to hope to hit on one. 

[Not saying this is the case, but I wonder if a moneyball approach to football would be treated well by fans]

I have mixed feelings. Like, would Adebo #75 or Melifonwu at #99 have made me feel better than Nahshon? And the answer is, yeah, I would probably feel better. While drafting them presents a similar conundrum, at least they are normal-sized and widely regarded as top-100 guys.

To be clear, my #1 beef is with the eval (6-4 corner with mediocre tape and athleticism), my #2 beef is with the process of letting your DC play pick-a-player again, and my #3 beef is making that pick given current roster construction. Guys like Adebo and Melifonwu only have #3 as an issue for me, making them a lot more palatable options in the 3rd round.