GDT - NFL Draft

WizardHawk

Well the preseason can not get here quick enough. From what I've seen on film Wright has good reactions and ball instincts.  Yeah he will fail if we expect him to be a shut down corner but he wasn't drafted to be a shut down corner, we've got two young shut down corners already. Can he handle the slot, can he handle a modified free safety roll. Of a hybrid roll against 11 personal where he might line up with a TE out wide.   Personally I didn't see anyone great  who I would have wanted as a free safety when we drafted him, and yes I am glad we did not draft Ford.   

Again this pic is a huge risk reward pic so everything is speculation tell he  hits the field and we see if he can accomplish what Quinn expects from him. 

4 hours ago, quiller said:

Well the preseason can not get here quick enough. From what I've seen on film Wright has good reactions and ball instincts.  Yeah he will fail if we expect him to be a shut down corner but he wasn't drafted to be a shut down corner, we've got two young shut down corners already. Can he handle the slot, can he handle a modified free safety roll. Of a hybrid roll against 11 personal where he might line up with a TE out wide.   Personally I didn't see anyone great  who I would have wanted as a free safety when we drafted him, and yes I am glad we did not draft Ford.   

Again this pic is a huge risk reward pic so everything is speculation tell he  hits the field and we see if he can accomplish what Quinn expects from him. 

People need to stop using the term “shut down” corner. There’s only been one true shut down corner, and Deion Sanders is long retired. Just because a player was taken with a high pick doesn’t mean that he’s suddenly elite at his position.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2021 at 10:19 PM, plan9misfit said:

People need to stop using the term “shut down” corner. There’s only been one true shut down corner, and Deion Sanders is long retired. Just because a player was taken with a high pick doesn’t mean that he’s suddenly elite at his position.

I also want to expand on this. Even Richard Sherman in his prime could be truly "shutdown" and make his risky plays because he had the whole LoB position group backing him up.

I think if our play in our secondary as a whole just improve as a collective group it will make any of our young players in the secondary look better than they already are while they improve over the years.

Especially wright. All of our young players need to perform well for us to see tangible results that affect our W/L column from the secondary unit in 2021.

We are talking so much about our young corners we got in the draft this year but Diggs also needs to step up his game to a different level this year cause right now hes CB1 for 2021-2022 season.

Same goes with Wilson.

We can't afford to see another flash in the pan year like Smith & LVE had in the past and not improve on their seasons.

Although I understand Byron Jones was a cap casuality , I appreciated how he molded and improved his game over the years in our secondary, Diggs & Wilson need to show that now. I'm putting the spotlight on them and not our rookies.

Edited by canadaluvsdallas

• 1 month later...
On 5/17/2021 at 9:56 AM, plan9misfit said:

You can’t make the size comparison here because CBs generally aren’t that tall. It typically negatively impacts their play on the field, so we actually have no idea how he may translate to the NFL.

True. I'm just about ready to see these picks on the field as you are.

I do want to say I do like Wright. I believe we have made a perfect pick for us. 

His size and skill set combination will really help our scheme out, if not good depth at least. Long season coming up

7 hours ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

True. I'm just about ready to see these picks on the field as you are.

I do want to say I do like Wright. I believe we have made a perfect pick for us. 

His size and skill set combination will really help our scheme out, if not good depth at least. Long season coming up

His skill set warranted a 7th round draft pick, so he has lofty expectations due to being massively overdrafted.

Edited by plan9misfit

21 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:
On 7/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, plan9misfit said:

His skill set warranted a 7th round draft pick, so he has lofty expectations due to being massively overdrafted.

I agree that I didn’t understand the pick, at all. But apparently he’s turned heads every opportunity he’s gotten this off-season. 

I stand by the NFL analyst dude who basically said "Most years are a crapshoot in terms of ranking where players should be drafted, but due to covid, 2020 was extra difficult" 

In otherwords, how do we know he was "massively" over drafted since the vast majority of us didnt watch him regularly? 

6 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

I stand by the NFL analyst dude who basically said "Most years are a crapshoot in terms of ranking where players should be drafted, but due to covid, 2020 was extra difficult" 

In otherwords, how do we know he was "massively" over drafted since the vast majority of us didnt watch him regularly? 

There’s a whole army of people who work to both independently evaluate *and* understand where teams themselves value players. Prospects drafted so drastically different than what basically anyone thought reasonable have not tended to fare well in the NFL.

You are right that the draft is a crapshoot. But good gamblers maximize their chances of success and bad ones minimize it. You can hit on 18 and get a 3 in blackjack, but in the long run, you will lose playing that way.

I think Wright had all the markings of a bad bet. But I am beyond thrilled to hear all of the good vibes about him, and I am crossing my fingers that he turns out to be a 3.

7 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

There’s a whole army of people who work to both independently evaluate *and* understand where teams themselves value players. Prospects drafted so drastically different than what basically anyone thought reasonable have not tended to fare well in the NFL.

My point was that those boards were wildly inconsistent for 2020.

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

My point was that those boards were wildly inconsistent for 2020.

It wasn’t inconsistent on Wright. He was pretty universally considered a late rounder or FA. 

But besides that, Wright is a size/speed outlier (not in a good way), and a coaches over scouts pick.

Covid uncertainty makes me feel worse about making an “I’m smarter than you” pick, not better.

3 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

It wasn’t inconsistent on Wright. He was pretty universally considered a late rounder or FA. 

But besides that, Wright is a size/speed outlier (not in a good way), and a coaches over scouts pick.

Covid uncertainty makes me feel worse about making an “I’m smarter than you” pick, not better.

One of the "draft gurus" (BtB writer maybe?) said they hadnt watched a single snap of him before the draft, but walked away with a 4th round grade after the tape. Some of these "unknowns" didnt get the memo on the more under the radar guys. 

18 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

One of the "draft gurus" (BtB writer maybe?) said they hadnt watched a single snap of him before the draft, but walked away with a 4th round grade after the tape. Some of these "unknowns" didnt get the memo on the more under the radar guys. 

A couple of people, after an NFL team drafted him in the 3rd, had the guts to confirm the value of the pick. Virtually no one had that opinion before.

I don’t disagree that there is upside to him. I watched him after the draft. But if Nashon wasn’t a reach on draft day, then reaches just don’t exist.

They definitely drafted Wright thinking they are smarter about him than everyone else. And they didn’t want to risk missing the chance to prove it. Maybe they’ll turn out to be correct. I hope so.