2021: 01.02 - Jets select QB Zach Wilson

Bianconero

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Isn't the offset language what the Jets were really after?  I don't think they were as concerned about the $. 

Typically they prefer both. I know with Quinnen we had a similar issue with his pay out.

I think Zach will now pay Utah taxes on his bonus salary instead of New Jersey. 

4 minutes ago, xrade said:

Isn't the offset language what the Jets were really after?  I don't think they were as concerned about the $. 

The money isn't up for debate. That's in stone for whatever spot you're drafted. Its the offset language that changes per player. Wilson was never asking for anything ridiculous. Just what everyone this draft and previous drafts have been given in that respected spot (a big signing bonus pretty much). Jets didn't want to do that and were being difficult. Ultimately the FO came to earth, just wasted 3 days for it. 

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

The standoff was reportedly over cash flow, an utterly incompetent stance by the Johnson's. Ownership wanted to defer a portion of his signing bonus to 2022 -- time value of money makes a big difference here.

Since the Jets are so tight lipped, we’ll never know what the true reason(s) were. I do find it kind of funny thinking how both parties were thinking A, asking for B and negotiating for A.

I know the Jets like the offset language and will not remove it from the contract.  So they played hardball with the cash flow as well. Wilson wanted the cash and was less concerned about the offset language so he played hardball with that. In the end, they both got what they wanted from the beginning. Ah, business games.