Penei Sewell OT selected 7th overall

Louis Friend

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm with Sllim on this. LT is still a premier position but RT isn't far behind these days. With the way that defenses are moving guys around, you need two strong guys on both sides of the line. If Sewell stays at RT and becomes a future HOFer there, who really cares. We're going to need to address the RG spot at some point but Vaitai is good enough there where we don't need to reach on someone. 

Outside of a trade down, this was the best and most obvious choice. Fields COULD become the best QB in this group but there was a reason he slipped. I'd rather build the team up and then add the QB as opposed to having the QB and then trying to put things together for him without destroying him along the way. An elite talent on the OL is the first piece. 

well just to be devils advocate. one side you can see when you are going to get blasted the other you just die lol. not literally, just wrecked, with some CTE. I know you've seen "the blindside" lol unless we are Miami with a lefty LT will always be more important. 

Edited by NFL_Fan

18 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

Where do you have he was top 5? been looking for tackles statistics but you either have to pay or its opinion like BR or something 

PFF, take it for what it is, had him that high.  So somewhat opinion based but with various opinions compiled based on what he was supposed to do on each play.  And I guess it was just the last 9 weeks of the 2019 season in which he was top 5.  Then into 2020 he had a great year allowing only 2 sacks in 1,048 snaps with only 6 penalties. Positive pass block grades, average run block grades.  So while he isn't elite, he is a proven LT.  I would like for the Lions to try him at RT and Sewell at LT but I understand if they don't and am comfortable with it. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

PFF, take it for what it is, had him that high.  So somewhat opinion based but with various opinions compiled based on what he was supposed to do on each play.  And I guess it was just the last 9 weeks of the 2019 season in which he was top 5.  Then into 2020 he had a great year allowing only 2 sacks in 1,048 snaps with only 6 penalties. Positive pass block grades, average run block grades.  So while he isn't elite, he is a proven LT.  I would like for the Lions to try him at RT and Sewell at LT but I understand if they don't and am comfortable with it. 

idk they had zaven collins worst grade against navy....RB had 2.2 per rush and QB passed for....27 yards....and zaven got like a 50 somthing rating... so idk

6 minutes ago, NFL_Fan said:

idk they had zaven collins worst grade against navy....RB had 2.2 per rush and QB passed for....27 yards....and zaven got like a 50 somthing rating... so idk

Could be he wasn't the reason and it was a team effort against a bad offense.  He was graded by PFF as having a 93 coverage rating this year which is the highest amongst LBs ever.  He also had the overall highest LB grade in the country this year.  So they seemed to get that right.  

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Could be he wasn't the reason and it was a team effort against a bad offense.  He was graded by PFF as having a 93 coverage rating this year which is the highest amongst LBs ever.  He also had the overall highest LB grade in the country this year.  So they seemed to get that right.  

could be. and hey he was my favorite guy. idk how many times i said a trade down for zaven. i love him. think he will be an urlacher for 10 year plus

7 minutes ago, diehardlionfan said:

I see it as a non issue. Players can adapt to the change.

I know the checking the Mike can effect it and I guess making lineman eligible might be an issue but for me I like numbers associated with positions.  I guess i'm old school like that.  I don't want to see Sewell wearing 3 or something weird like that.

37 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

I know the checking the Mike can effect it and I guess making lineman eligible might be an issue but for me I like numbers associated with positions.  I guess i'm old school like that.  I don't want to see Sewell wearing 3 or something weird like that.

He can't wear three.  There are still rules, just not as many or as strict. Pretty much just opened it up for WR/RB and LB/CB, which I don't have a problem with.  

Previous rules

• QB: 1-19
  • RB: 20-49
  • WR/TE: 10-19, 80-89
  • OL: 50-79
  • DL: 50-79, 90-99
  • LB: 40-59, 90-99
  • CB/S: 20-49
  • K/P: 1-19

New rules

• QB: 1-19
  • RB/WR/TE: 1-49, 80-89
  • OL: 50-79
  • DL: 50-79, 90-99
  • LB: 1-59, 90-99
  • CB/S: 1-49
  • K/P: 1-19

15 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm thinking he goes with 58 (if it's available). That was his number in HS and in college. 

That is owned by Jamie Collins.  Sewell will likely have to pay for it if he wants it unless Collins chooses to switch on his own.  But in doing the switch, they have to purchase all jersey stock produced with the old number.  Fortunately that likely isnt much for Collins.  But I hear it scared Dalvin Cook away from changing since it would have cost him around 2M to switch.