Round 3, Pick 89: WR Nico Collins

Texansfan713

Michigan 2021 NFL Draft preview: Wide receiver Nico Collins

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/nico-collins/3200434f-4c65-4119-2a51-095ba724d414

Overview

Outside receiver with excellent size and quality build-up speed to attack the third level. Collins shines with his ability to track the deep ball and land the 50-50 catch. His size, hands and competitive nature give him an advantage on contested catches underneath. He struggles to slip press coverage quickly and has issues ridding himself of coverage unless he's getting vertical. Despite his frame, his struggles to uncover on intermediate routes could bother teams looking for a three-level target. Collins must improve his route acumen to open his catch windows a little wider, but he has the size, field toughness and ball skills to become a future chain-mover as a WR2.

I can dig it. We really needed a WR. Outside of Cooks, we want to get rid of Cobb, Coley is on a 1 year deal, Coutee is on the last year of his contract, and nobody past that is worth mentioning. We needed the size at WR, otherwise Amon-ra St. Brown might've made more sense. 

• Like 1

I love the Collins pick.  Big bodied WR and should compliment Cooks well.  He should get some playing team early too.  Our WR core isnt that great after Cooks.  Cobb is injury prone and 30 years old.  Coutee too inconsistent. Chis Conley and Andre Roberts arent in the long term plans either.

• Like 1

I don't love the pick... that being said I think Collins will be fine (just not the best use of resources)

I think the Harry comparison is lazy as Collins appears to have much better change of direction skills (although not as big as Harry... TWSS & phrasing)

Check this article out if you have time

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2021/4/13/22382436/underrated-wide-receiver-prospects-ras-wrops-2021-nfl-draft-nico-collins-dyami-brown-jacob-harris

• 7 months later...

Nico has gotten a lot of playing time and hasnt produced like I’ve hoped but he has flashed potential. I’d like to see him take advantage of not having cooks the next two weeks and get himself a 500 yard rookie season 

my guess is that would be the 3rd most ever by a Texans rookie but I’m not totally sure on that one. 

31 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

my guess is that would be the 3rd most ever by a Texans rookie but I’m not totally sure on that one. 

Close - 4th:

1. Andre Johnson: 976

2. DeAndre Hopkins: 802

3. Will Fuller: 635

4. Jabar Gaffney: 483

5. Owen Daniels: 352

6. Nico Collins: 344