NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Just now, swede700 said:

I think I've heard an idea involving setting performance standards which would allow the RBs to sign extensions earlier if they outperform them.  Ultimately, it'll come down to bargaining during CBA discussions...I just don't know if there's enough incentive for the union to specifically single out RBs as a priority in the negotiations, but we'll see. 

If the RBs refuse, as a bloc, to ratify a CBA, they could have some sway. 

A couple All-Pro defensive linemen and an All-Pro offensive guard are making news with their holdouts—San Francisco’s reigning Defensive Player of the Year/DE Nick Bosa, Kansas City’s DT Chris Jones, and Dallas guard Zack Martin. They’re being fined $50,000 per day that they’re not in camp, and all are seeking deals at the top of their position groups, which for Bosa and Jones would be $30 million or more per year, and Martin wants over $20 million per year.  

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/vikings-insider/the-gm-view/observations?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

I’d pay Bosa $30M AAV. One of the best defensive players in the league and he’s 25. Like the Vikings with JJ: Pay him. Pay that man his money.

I’d give Jones $20M-$25M with incentives that could reach $30M. He’s had some absolutely dominating years, but those years have been spread apart by some good, not great years. Plus, he’s 29 and he’s had some minor injuries over the years. Any deal I’d sign him too would have to have some protections. 

Zach Martin can play on his current deal, or he can sit out. He’s a phenomenal player, but I’m not further compromising my cap situation for a soon to be 33 year old guard. Maybe I’d be willing to bump his salary a bit. But certainly not $20M AAV. He got paid, and now I’ve got other, more long term players, who need to get paid. 

I understand players being upset with their rookie deals and getting franchised. It's more difficult to get behind holding out when you are the one who signed the deal you are currently protesting. However, I'm also a firm believer in knowing your worth and maximizing your value. Especially in the NFL where careers are short and your long term health is going to suffer from the beatings you take. 

Bosa should have a deal already, even though he's on the rookie deal. 

Jones should make more. But I don't know that I'd be willing to give him a long term deal at the top of his position group.

Martin is a HOFer. I don't suspect his play will decline much, if at all, over the next 3-4 seasons. Paying him top money during that time probably won't be a bad investment.  But he signed his current deal when he was already a multi-time All-Pro and world beater. He should have known, or his agent should have known, that he would outperform it. Still, Martin is one of the best linemen in the NFL. Plus I hate Jerry Jones. And the Cowboys. SO PAY THE MAN!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Martin is a HOFer. I don't suspect his play will decline much, if at all, over the next 3-4 seasons. Paying him top money during that time probably won't be a bad investment.  But he signed his current deal when he was already a multi-time All-Pro and world beater. He should have known, or his agent should have known, that he would outperform it. Still, Martin is one of the best linemen in the NFL. Plus I hate Jerry Jones. And the Cowboys. SO PAY THE MAN!

The question is who should they prioritize?  This isn't the Cowboys forum, but they have to do something with Dak, since his cap number goes up to nearly $60M next year, Pollard is on a 1-yr deal, Lamb can be extended, Tyron Smith is on the last year of his deal, and  Demarcus Lawrence will be in the last year of his deal in '24...not to mention that Micah Parsons will be eligible for an extension next year.  I'm not sure I'd prioritize a nearly 33-yr old guard either who will still be making $23M in 2024.  He is a HoF level player, but it's about positional value...and that's an awful lot for an aging OG. 

This article makes his holdout even more problematic for Martin...

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is taking a hardline stance with Martin. He apparently thinks he can wait Martin out because the severe financial penalties should deter a lengthy absence. Dallas' ability to recoup money that wouldn't be possible with most other teams is problematic for Martin. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/agents-take-inside-look-at-the-consequences-and-dynamics-facing-nick-bosa-zack-martin-and-other-holdouts/

watched a Netflix thing on Johnny Manziel last night. pretty good interviews showing his self destruction.

he identified himself as a frat boy who never grew up, and football was his fraternity. also said he attempted suicide.

Edited by vike daddy

44 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

watched a Netflix thing on Johnny Manziel last night. pretty good interviews showing his self destruction.

he identified himself as a frat boy who never grew up, and football was his fraternity. also said he attempted suicide.

I saw that too. What an epic waste of natural ability.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I came away from the Manziel documentary feeling like the documentary itself was staged  for the “woe is me” angle. 

hmm, i saw it differently. more like what a self destructive persona, wasting his life away. and quickly.

but you know what? what wasn't really developed was his parents' role in him turning out the way he did. c'mon folks, get a handle on your son.

• Like 1