NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

It has been described as a two-year deal. Technically, it isn’t. The new contract between Aaron Rodgers and the Jets lasts for seven years, with no void or other device for ending it early.

That’s significant, for a couple of reasons. First, it makes the no-tag clause meaningless, because the contract wouldn’t expire until March 2030. Second, it gives the Jets greater control over Rodgers’s next step, if there is one.

Rodgers can retire, but he can’t force his way to freedom without the Jets releasing him. Of course, giving up $33.7 million in pay over the next two years will make it hard for the man who saved that money to say “no” if Rodgers wants out.

Right away, Rodgers gets a $35 million roster bonus, subject to five-year proration. He also has a $1.838 million base salary for 2023. His cap number for the current year is $8.88 million.

For 2024, he has a $35 million option bonus and a base salary of $3.161 million. Both are fully guaranteed. And if the option bonus isn’t exercised, Rodgers’s salary for 2024 increases to $38.161 million. The cap number is $17.16 million.

Come 2025, there’s no void. Rodgers is on the books for another $35 million option bonus and a $2.5 million salary. Neither payment is guaranteed. It’s a cap number of $23.5 million, assuming he plays. If he does, he’ll be 41 when the season starts, and 42 by the time it ends.

The 2026 through 2029 seasons contain base salaries of $20 million per year.

If Rodgers retires after two years (or if he is released so he can continue to follow the Favre career arc and sign with the Vikings), a pre-June 1 move would result in a $49 million cap charge. After June 1, the Jets would take $14 million in 2025 and $35 million in 2026.

Thus, even with Rodgers taking so much less than he was due to make over the next two years, there will be a price to pay under the cap when he leaves. Specifically, they’ll have either $49 million less to work with in 2025, or $14 million less in 2025 and $35 million less in 2026.

There’s one last point to ponder on this. As a bookend to the $33.7 million gratuity that Rodgers gave the Jets on the way through the door, they could — in theory — pay him the $35 million option bonus in 2025 and then, if he retires, not try to recover it. However, that would drive the cap consequences for a post-June 1 retirement to $21 million in 2025 and a staggering $63 million in 2026.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/aaron-rodgers-signed-a-seven-year-deal-with-no-voidable-years

My niece goes to Pitt State, I would ask her if she went to it, but she's probably way too busy working trying to pay for school.  And another thing I hate about this new X thing is that I wanted to hit the X in the upper right corner of the tweet to try to delete it.  Then I realized that it was just the stupid logo.  😂

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Aaron Rodgers taking a pay cut with the Jets has to be one of the biggest “**** you” moves in recent memory. 

And his recent comments about possibly needing that extra cap space to go get a player at the deadline is just a knife twist. 

I can certainly "guarantee" that A-Rodg hates Gutey more than JJ hates Kirk. 

• Like 5

Returning to the "how and how much should running backs get paid" discussion from a couple weeks back, I had a thought. What if RB rookie contracts were limited to 4 years for 1st rounders and 3 years for all other rounds and UDRFA's, and teams couldn't franchise running backs? 

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Returning to the "how and how much should running backs get paid" discussion from a couple weeks back, I had a thought. What if RB rookie contracts were limited to 4 years for 1st rounders and 3 years for all other rounds and UDRFA's, and teams couldn't franchise running backs? 

I think I've heard an idea involving setting performance standards which would allow the RBs to sign extensions earlier if they outperform them.  Ultimately, it'll come down to bargaining during CBA discussions...I just don't know if there's enough incentive for the union to specifically single out RBs as a priority in the negotiations, but we'll see.