NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

48 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I don't think refusing to play is an option.  It's never worked well for any RB. 

I don't remember what the estimation was of what LeVeon Bell cost himself by sitting out a season and signing with the Jets instead of taking what the Steelers were offering, but wasn't it many millions of dollars? It's hard to know since we can only speculate how many years of the Steelers contract Bell would have played before being cut, but I think that had he stayed in the system where he excelled, he would have made it longer than he made on the contract he signed after leaving the Steelers.

A RB sitting out a season seems most likely to not be in that particular RBs best interest, but the rest of the RBs in the league probably should send him a thank you letter for taking one for the team in an effort to improve the situation for players at their position. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't remember what the estimation was of what LeVeon Bell cost himself by sitting out a season and signing with the Jets instead of taking what the Steelers were offering, but wasn't it many millions of dollars? It's hard to know since we can only speculate how many years of the Steelers contract Bell would have played before being cut, but I think that had he stayed in the system where he excelled, he would have made it longer than he made on the contract he signed after leaving the Steelers.

A RB sitting out a season seems most likely to not be in that particular RBs best interest, but the rest of the RBs in the league probably should send him a thank you letter for taking one for the team in an effort to improve the situation for players at their position. 

Bell lost $14.5M by sitting out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Bell lost $14.5M by sitting out. 

Was that his immediate losses that year or an estimation of how much sitting out that year cost him including the gains/losses in future years caused by the benefit/harm to his career that was the result of him sitting out. 

I ask because I believe Bell harmed his career beyond just the year he sat out.

29 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Was that his immediate losses that year or an estimation of how much sitting out that year cost him including the gains/losses in future years caused by the benefit/harm to his career that was the result of him sitting out. 

I ask because I believe Bell harmed his career beyond just the year he sat out.

That’s what he lost that year. That was the franchise tag number.

He probably hurt his future earnings by sitting out, but that’s really just pure speculation. We’ll never know how teams would have valued Bell on the open market after another year on the field. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s what he lost that year. That was the franchise tag number.

He probably hurt his future earnings by sitting out, but that’s really just pure speculation. We’ll never know how teams would have valued Bell on the open market after another year on the field. 

Right.  I thought numbers had leaked out on the long-term contract the Steelers were offering that Bell turned down.  We would never know how much of that contract he would have played before being cut or forced to restructure, but I think he would have done a lot better had he stayed in the system where he had success.

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Right.  I thought numbers had leaked out on the long-term contract the Steelers were offering that Bell turned down.  We would never know how much of that contract he would have played before being cut or forced to restructure, but I think he would have done a lot better had he stayed in the system where he had success.

Details of a possible Steelers contract were leaked, but the Steelers have a history of leaking contract terms that have been regularly refuted by players and agents. So, it’s hard to take it seriously. 

Even so, the details leaked were 5 years for $70M, with $10M in guarantees. The contract he signed with NYJ was 4 years for $52M with $27M guaranteed. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It would be absolutely hysterical to see the Cardinals have their 2024 1st round pick forfeited because of their actions during Steve Keim’s suspension. 

https://x.com/tishaespn/status/1696981733751615766?s=46&t=Iaw8Du_3OySbBoPz5I7GNA

It certainly would be appropriate for how they've operated that franchise for decades.  Dan Snyder gave them cover for almost 25 years. 

• Like 1

Legend. 

4-5 years ago he was an absolute must listen to on NFL Radio. His stories and his insight were always a fun perspective and history lesson. The last 2-3 years, sadly, were tough to hear. You could tell that age was catching up and the mind was slipping. RIP Gil. 

• Like 3

Stetson Bennett was the LOWEST graded rookie QB in the NFL preseason.

According to PFF, Bennett was the lowest-graded quarterback in the NFL this preseason, earning an overall mark of 29.5. The next-closest quarterback (who had at least 19 drop-backs) was P.J. Walker, with a PFF grade of 41.2 this preseason and has already been cut by the Bears.

College Sports Center