NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

I find it interesting that these guys like Bosa and Chris Jones are playing hardball right now.  I don't know if that'll end up well for them. I imagine that they are trying to get their contracts to line up with the expected boost to the cap next year, which is certainly understandable, but either way, they'll have to show up eventually, so the teams are just waiting them out.  The 49ers have less impetus to budge as far as I'm concerned, because they have a significantly stronger defense (especially the scheme) than the Chiefs do, even without Bosa.  The Chiefs have some nice young players, but they aren't Chris Jones.  Schematically, I think the 49ers can do well enough without Bosa.  Of course, offensively, both teams are in different universes.    

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I find it interesting that these guys like Bosa and Chris Jones are playing hardball right now.  I don't know if that'll end up well for them. I imagine that they are trying to get their contracts to line up with the expected boost to the cap next year, which is certainly understandable, but either way, they'll have to show up eventually, so the teams are just waiting them out.  

i read that once the season starts they'll be facing fines of over $1 mil a week.

It'll be interesting, but the one thing working against Jones is that he's 29.  Bosa turns 26 in October.  And the fact that the Chiefs are paying Mahomes $40M this year and it jumps to $47M next year...and they're also paying Thuney $22M for each of the next 3 years and then Jawaan Taylor's deal jumps to $24M for 3 years beginning in 2024 (only getting $5.8M this year).  I suppose they can continue to let their WRs walk and continue to churn through guys everywhere on defense around Jones. 

Edited by swede700

17 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

If JJ wants to be the highest paid non-QB, this may throw a kind into negotiations. 

Eh probably not. Aaron Donold’s top non-QB deal last year was for 15.21% of 2022’s cap number. Bosa’s deal comes in just under that at 15.16% of this year’s cap number. 

So, if JJ was going after the top non-qb contract, he was likely always looking at something in the $34M per year range. So, something like a 5 year, $172M deal stays in the same ballpark and gives JJ and his agent bragging rights. 

new rule changes in effect this year:

Fair-catch adjustment 
During kickoffs, the ball will be placed at the 25-yard line if a kickoff is fair caught anywhere inside the 25-yard line. By doing this, the NFL is hoping to decrease the amount of head injuries sustained on kickoffs by at least 15 percent. 

Instant-replay reversal 
For the first time, when an instant-replay decision results in a reversal with under two minutes, the play clock will be reset to 40 seconds instead of 25 seconds, unless another rule requires otherwise, such as when there is also a 10-second runoff, in which case the play clock will be reset to 30 seconds. 

In addition, inside two minutes, reversing from a ruling with a stopped clock to one with a running clock will require either a 10-second runoff, or a charged team timeout.

Failed fourth-down conversions 
All unsuccessful fourth-down conversions attempts will now be an automatic booth review, which is similar to other turnover situations. Head coaches cannot challenge a failed fourth-down conversion. However, successful fourth-down conversions still require a coach's challenge unless they occur inside the two-minute warning or during overtime.

Use of helmet 
First adopted in 2018, the league's Use of Helmet Rule has been modified to prevent a player from using any part of his helmet or facemask to butt or make forcible contact to an opponent's neck or head area. 

Tripping
Starting this season, tripping is now a 15-yard, personal foul penalty. Players who commit the penalty will be subject to additional discipline by the league. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rule-changes-kickoffs-instant-replay-fourth-down-reviews-among-adjustments-for-2023/?fbclid=IwAR1SWRM_L-tgMEYshgoS1G3ASHIMv9lszoWEEDgdEYHO0K8iVte16lb6VM8

Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow has agreed to a five-year, $275 million contract that makes him the highest-paid player in NFL history, according to multiple reports.

The first overall pick in the 2020 NFL draft, Burrow still had two years remaining on his rookie contract, but the Bengals wanted to make sure he was under contract for a long time, and now they’ve done so.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/bengals-make-joe-burrow-the-highest-paid-player-in-nfl-history

• Like 1