NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Peter King:

Oh, what might have been. On Draft Day 2021, Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch envisioned being in future Super Bowls, but they envisioned being led by quarterback Trey Lance. Instead, well, you know the rest.

But the Lance story was a bizarre backdrop to Super Bowl LVIII. I found myself thinking during Super Bowl week: I wonder if Lance will watch this Super Bowl. Or will it be too torturous for him to see? It seems impossible to think that the career of the third pick in the draft in 2021 may never get off the ground. I am convinced it stems from one major factor: his incredible lack of experience.

Lance’s attempts, not counting preseason games, year by year in the last seven years:

• 2017, Marshall (Minn.) High School: 133 attempts.
  • 2018, North Dakota State: 1 attempt.
  • 2019, North Dakota State: 287 attempts.
  • 2020, North Dakota State: 30 attempts.
  • 2021, 49ers: 71 attempts.
  • 2022, 49ers: 31 attempts.
  • 2023, Cowboys: 0 attempts.

Seven football seasons, 553 passes thrown by Trey Lance.

In his last seven seasons, Patrick Mahomes has thrown 4,262 passes. Perhaps most interesting, Mahomes has thrown 193 more passes in this season alone than Lance has thrown in the last seven years.

With Lance being a backup to Dak Prescott in Dallas, it’s likely he won’t play much if at all in 2024, barring injury. To get good -- especially for a green FBS quarterback from North Dakota State to get good -- he’s got to play. And 2024 could well be the fifth straight year Lance won’t play much. 2024 will be Lance’s age-24 season, and there’s still no indication that he’ll ever be a good, never mind franchise, quarterback. The third pick of the 2021 draft isn’t a bust, yet. He’s a bizarre, inexperienced man of mystery.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/fmia/news/super-bowl-lviii-kansas-city-chiefs-andy-reid-nfl-peter-king-fmia?cid=nbcsports

• Like 1

Adam Schefter   · 

In the 2017 NFL Draft in which they held the second overall pick, the 49ers did not study Patrick Mahomes because they believed they would be able to sign Kirk Cousins during 2018 free agency and reunite him with Kyle Shanahan. Those plans were scuttled when the Patriots offered and traded Jimmy Garoppolo to the 49ers in October 2017.

But the one QB the 49ers did trade up to get in the 2017 draft was C.J. Beathard, whom they selected in the third round, 104th overall. Beathard eventually left San Francisco to sign with Jacksonville, and in return the 49ers got a compensatory 2022 7th-round pick that they used on … Brock Purdy.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 4:08 PM, swede700 said:

The legend Moritz Boehringer...it appears that he played in the ELF last year.  

Yeah, and he failed to impress there as well. 

On 2/12/2024 at 4:00 PM, vike daddy said:

what was it like when the Vikes drafted that German wide receiver? can't remember his name...

we all wanted him to work out well.

It was a weird feeling to see a player that you played against (in the lower German leagues) get drafted. Back at the time I felt like he would have been available as an UFA, as he lacked twitch and his success in Germany (including against me) was due to his size advantage, that disappeared in the NFL.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFL is not likely to adopt the XFL kickoff rule. More specifically, the XFL’s unique approach is not likely to muster the requisite 24 votes from ownership.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/source-xfl-kickoff-rule-is-not-likely-to-get-to-24-votes

I won't care for it, but then the only resolution is to just do away with the kickoff altogether, because it's become pointless.  

• Like 4