Washington Football Team UDFA Thread: Signings, Rumors, etc.

MikeT14

21 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Interesting. Seems really cheap to me. I do like that we’ll bring in more free agents this week.

Just saw this. I mean, it might make sense financially. It avoids a bidding war for guys we might have wanted to sign, so we draft them instead. 

I'll amend my statement. It may make sense in terms of the financials in that a 7th round pick has a 4 year contract. Someone signed as an UDFA only has a 3 year contract. Also, you're bidding against other teams. Now, the signing bonus is higher for the draft pick and the salary is about $100k+ higher for the draft pick. But you're not competing against other teams. The player must go to the team that drafted him. And if they do well, you have them for 4 years, not 3. Which helps cap situation long term.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, does it make too much of a difference? I dunno. But it's definitely interesting to see this.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'll amend my statement. It may make sense in terms of the financials in that a 7th round pick has a 4 year contract. Someone signed as an UDFA only has a 3 year contract. Also, you're bidding against other teams. Now, the signing bonus is higher for the draft pick and the salary is about $100k+ higher for the draft pick. But you're not competing against other teams. The player must go to the team that drafted him. And if they do well, you have them for 4 years, not 3. Which helps cap situation long term.

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, does it make too much of a difference? I dunno. But it's definitely interesting to see this.

Which is why I pushed the notion we should/would draft a LS. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah. And I REALLY like Cheeseman

Was he your top LS in this draft? Was this a rare two draftable LS class?

Or was this post just missing a bit of punctuation, and what you actually meant to say was “I REALLY like cheese, man”?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Was he your top LS in this draft? Was this a rare two draftable LS class?

Or was this post just missing a bit of punctuation, and what you actually meant to say was “I REALLY like cheese, man”?

LOL. I just have seen some of him play and I think the guy is a machine. I'm okay with using a pick on him. Of course, now that I say this, I am fully expecting him to make me look like an idiot (*)

(*) my wife would say that I "don't need any help with that"

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

LOL. I just have seen some of him play and I think the guy is a machine. I'm okay with using a pick on him. Of course, now that I say this, I am fully expecting him to make me look like an idiot (*)

(*) my wife would say that I "don't need any help with that"

I will always remember BB showing up to a Navy lacrosse game two weeks before the draft for a meeting with Niamatalolo, and then they drafted the longsnapper Cardona.  

Also, a friend of mine from church has kept me up to date with the recruiting trail for his son who is a longsnapper, and let's just say it's very competitive.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

If you really want someone, those picks are great.  Really wish we would have done that with Dylan Moses. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:48 AM, Ghostnote said:

There are 2 guys I don't see making the roster but the PS yes. Bradley and Milne. Toney is a beast and I don't think Kerrigan would be resigned. 

I agree.  Toney if he stays healthy during camp not only makes the team he will be seeing playing time.  The dude has a motor and I still don't know how he fell to the 7th round in our lap.

• Like 1