Bears select Khyiris Tonga (DT, BYU) 255th overall

beardown3231

The Bears cleaned up on value in this draft.

The Bears DL is going through change. Hicks is likely gone next year, Nichols is a free agent that they should re-sign, Goldman likely needs to play more sub snaps when Hicks goes.

Tonga can play the short yardage, base, heavy run down snaps and allow others to stay fresh.

6 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Mocked him a ton. He is exactly what we need. 

He is a horse against the run and can play rotational NT snaps right away

Since his main talent is taking up space and controlling blockers in a two gap front his best traits are his size and his build.  It was about time we found some relief for Eddie Goldman besides recycling John Jenkins.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears cleaned up on value in this draft.

The Bears DL is going through change. Hicks is likely gone next year, Nichols is a free agent that they should re-sign, Goldman likely needs to play more sub snaps when Hicks goes.

Tonga can play the short yardage, base, heavy run down snaps and allow others to stay fresh.

I don't think we lose Hicks......like basically all the QB money is gone next year with everybody on the roster outside of Robinson and Mack being cheap.

5 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

I don't think we lose Hicks......like basically all the QB money is gone next year with everybody on the roster outside of Robinson and Mack being cheap.

You think they'll bring back Hicks after this season when he's 32? His contract ends when this season ends.

This late picking up a solid run stuffer is never a bad thing...that said I think we are still short on depth on the DL as well as ILB and Safety...hopefully Pace is working the phones to try and trade some surplus offensive talent in order to build that depth up...after June 1st cuts I expect we bring in 3-5 vets to help on the defensive side of the ball even as role players or depth.

28 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

This late picking up a solid run stuffer is never a bad thing...that said I think we are still short on depth on the DL as well as ILB and Safety...hopefully Pace is working the phones to try and trade some surplus offensive talent in order to build that depth up...after June 1st cuts I expect we bring in 3-5 vets to help on the defensive side of the ball even as role players or depth.

I don’t think we have room for a DLmen

Nichols, Edwards

Goldman, Tonga

Hicks, Blackson

We only ever carry 6 and 5 active on game day.

We also have 2 backups making 2 million plus a season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I don’t think we have room for a DLmen

Nichols, Edwards

Goldman, Tonga

Hicks, Blackson

We only ever carry 6 and 5 active on game day.

We also have 2 backups making 2 million plus a season.

I like the pick Tonga pick but I would 100% want competition for the backup NT job.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

I like the pick Tonga pick but I would 100% want competition for the backup NT job.

My guess is the DL budget is spent. You might get an UDFA or a vet Min benefit deal guy, but I can’t see any more money going to DL, it is already one of our most expensive positions.

7 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

My guess is the DL budget is spent. You might get an UDFA or a vet Min benefit deal guy, but I can’t see any more money going to DL, it is already one of our most expensive positions.

I think all the vet guys we pick up or even trade for will be vet min...the hope is Tonga beats whoever it is out but I still think competition is the way to go for as many spots as possible.