> 2022 Draft Prospect Thread <

Danger

14 minutes ago, Danger said:

Admittedly I haven't looked that much into him, but everything I can see at a glance, seems like "just-a-guy" to me.

That's every QB in this class. Which is why I would rather take "just a guy" in round 2. A guy with a solid (Wentz level) arm, good size, decent mobility for a pocket QB, and solid accuracy. I'll take that guy on a 2nd round contract until we can find The Guy. 

Bailey Zappe is sort of interesting. I like the velocity and arc he puts on his passes, but his throwing motion looks like Rivers, and his feet look like they are wearing cement shoes in the pocket. They hardly move. Also hard to see if he goes through reads or just doesn't really move his head much when he scans the field. Nice mid-field touch. Haven't seen him really drive one deep on my limited viewing, but I think he has the arm to launch em if need be.

Edited by Jeezla

2 hours ago, Jeezla said:

That's every QB in this class. Which is why I would rather take "just a guy" in round 2. A guy with a solid (Wentz level) arm, good size, decent mobility for a pocket QB, and solid accuracy. I'll take that guy on a 2nd round contract until we can find The Guy. 

ok... what is he good at though. Boston College is 6-9 in his two years there and his numbers are fairly pedestrian. I see that he's 6'5 225 which is cool, but like, what are his actual strengths and why should I believe he'd be anything more than a sidegrade from Hurts? If we're talking like the 4th or 5th round sure, but the 2nd? We can get many better players there.

14 hours ago, Danger said:

ok... what is he good at though. Boston College is 6-9 in his two years there and his numbers are fairly pedestrian. I see that he's 6'5 225 which is cool, but like, what are his actual strengths and why should I believe he'd be anything more than a sidegrade from Hurts? If we're talking like the 4th or 5th round sure, but the 2nd? We can get many better players there.

It's more "what is he bad at" and I don't really see any red flags. I just see a solid prospect to work with that we can definitely get after round 1. I wouldn't expect greatness or even goodness, but he could potentially be good with the tools he has. He's like a less mobile (aka current) Wentz. And he's from Pittsburgh so he can probably handle Philly. 
If there's no blue chip QB's, then take a guy with an arm, size, at least average mobility, and hopefully a good head on his shoulders. Round 2 is (probably) too rich, I'm just saying I'll take a blown 2nd that we can get rid of without blinking, over a guy in round 1 that you are handcuffed to for 3+ years at a higher cap hit. Round 3 or 4 for Jurkovec is more likely, assuming he looks solid the rest of the way through/is over his injury from earlier in the season. I'll be trying to watch him vs GT today. Also want to see more Bailey Zappe and Devin Leary, even though they lack the preferred size of an NFL QB.
Regardless, I wouldn't expect Jurkovec to look good starting for us next year, just saying he could be solid 3 years down the road if he develops. Maybe like Mike White on NYJ.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:

Brandon Smith might be a little overrated, but he is a good prospect. Looks like he's still sort of scratching the surface of what he can be.

Yeah, I'm just wondering if we should be going more for polish, because we have probably the youngest LB coach in the league or close to it. Agreed on that last part too. Athletic traits will push him up boards. He's a candidate in the 2nd round for sure. I know a lot probably want Devin Lloyd, but good chance he ends up in the first and I doubt we take a LB there given our history. 

21 hours ago, Jeezla said:
21 hours ago, Danger said:

Admittedly I haven't looked that much into him, but everything I can see at a glance, seems like "just-a-guy" to me.

I'm with you. I've been making it clear multiple times since even before this college football season started that my hope is Hurts improves over the course of the year to keep us from having to reach on a franchise signal caller this year. Obviously things could've changed as the season played out, but we are over halfway through this college season and I don't think the outlook for this QB class has got better. It probably got worse at the top end from what they were projecting.

I think the worst thing we can do as a franchise is try and rush things. If there is no QB worth a first round pick or at least top half of the first round, then just wait. I'm willing to bet Hurts will improve from his first year as a starter to his second in the same offense. Not saying I'm expecting him to be the future, cause I'm not. But, if he does show improvement and we still want to move on after next season he'll probably have some trade value (better than he has atm at least). That doesn't preclude us from taking a day 2 or early round 4 pick on a QB like you are talking about next year before taking the franchise signal caller in 2023 (Young? Stroud?) or 2024 (Williams?).

5 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

How is this drsft class ? Deep? Top heavy ? 

I would say deep considering last year was probably the smallest class in recent memory, because of COVID. The NCAA allowed every single player an extra year of eligibility basically and obviously there are a lot that took advantage.

It’s a year I think you want a lot of picks even in the middle to later rounds the talent you could find there could be a lot more plentiful than last year. That’s why I haven’t really been a fan of us trading these picks for guys like Scott or Vincent. Now if one of them works out, then great, but I want as many picks as possible to do maneuvering. This is a year we want probably double digit picks. Not just cause it could have a ton of players in the class, but also because we need a large influx of young talent and knowing our scouting and how hit or miss it is we need as many swings as possible.

Now as for positions specifically it’s gonna be just like any other year where there is gonna be positions that are gonna be top heavy, deep, or both. Right now it seems like QB may be somewhat deep, but really lacking in high end talent. Edge looks like it has good top end talent, but it’s even more so deep. Same goes for corner. Defensive tackle on the other hand looks pretty shallow. I think this class fits what we need most (besides QB) like a corner and edge. It’s not a bad LB class just a little lacking in top end talent, but it’s not like we would take one high anyways lol. I think OL is looking pretty good from what people who have scouted it more closely are saying. Wide receiver is again pretty good, especially if you need a bigger bodied receiver where they are plentiful this year and we are certainly one of those teams that do. We are way too small at the position as it stands. Our only receiver with real size is JJAW and he’s mainly on the roster just for special teams and to run block, so yeah. I like this draft for what we probably should be picking and where we should be picking them, but I don’t trust Howie and company with all this draft capital which is the feeling resonating with most Eagles fans right now. 

Hopefully this was a helpful answer.

7 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Has a lot of talent, but the top 10 isn’t a runaway plethora of high impact blue chip players like one might hope in a year you could have multiple picks there. It’s still solid though, we should be able to get 2 really good prospects. Chances are on the defense.

We should be able to get some pretty good players on day 2, especially if we move down with any of those picks to get more 2nd & 3rd rounders.

13 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Same as every draft, minus the usual stud pocket QB and stud mobile QB that will guaranteed go 1st and 2nd overall. There's good talent everywhere else though. Won't be a ton of offseason hoopla about what teams might try to trade up to the 1st or 2nd pick, because these QB's are too risky to trade up for. The top 5 picks might be DE, DE, OT, S, CB. 

20 hours ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

Yeah, I'm just wondering if we should be going more for polish, because we have probably the youngest LB coach in the league or close to it. Agreed on that last part too. Athletic traits will push him up boards. He's a candidate in the 2nd round for sure. I know a lot probably want Devin Lloyd, but good chance he ends up in the first and I doubt we take a LB there given our history. 

I think I'm the only one banging that drum around here. Don't think many have watched him, because Utah plays at like 10 pm on the East coast and isn't going to be televised a ton.

If nothing else, I sort of like Zappe and Leary as backup QB's. They both can seemingly throw it with some velocity and accuracy.

Where I'd feel comfortable drafting them:

Strong - Early 2nd if medicals check out
Corral - Mid/late 2nd
Ridder - Late 2nd
The Jurk - Late 2nd/early 3rd if wrist is not an issue
Pickett - Early/Mid 3rd if hands measure 9" at the SB. If those lollipop gloves are 8 7/8"- He off the board.
Willis - mid/late 3rd 
Howell - mid/late 3rd
Zappe - 4th
Nix - 5th
Leary - 5th

Haven't watched Tanner Mordecai.

Not touching Slovis or Armstrong. No ginger QB's. No USC QB's. No QB under 210 lbs. These are non-negotiable.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jeezla said:
On 11/13/2021 at 3:14 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

I think I'm the only one banging that drum around here. Don't think many have watched him, because Utah plays at like 10 pm on the East coast and isn't going to be televised a ton.

That's a good point and yeah you are mainly the one that's brought him up.

I haven't watched much Utah, but he has stood out in a good way when I have. He's been a TFL machine this year. He's actually moved up to 26th overall on TDN's on the mock draft machine. Joe Marino put him 10th overall in his latest individual big board which stood out to me.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy

• Kiltman changed the title to > 2022 Draft Prospect Thread <