> 2022 Draft Prospect Thread <

Danger

11 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

coincidentally, Jim would be a top choice for me as next GM of the Eagles. Would need a # cruncher to assist him on that side, but would love Jim to be in charge of who is getting drafted to the Eagles.

Edited by Jeezla

17 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

This looks like as good a year as any to take a player from Penn State. They have several draftable dudes.

My grades are: 
WR Jahan Dotson: Late 1st-Early 2nd
S JaQuan Brisker: Early-Mid 2nd
LB Brandon Smith: Mid-Late 2nd 
EDGE Arnold Ebiukete: 4th (Very good pass rusher, but not incredibly well rounded at the NFL Level)
OT Rasheed Walker: Lat 4th - Mid 5th
LB Ellis Brooks: 6th-7th
DT PJ Mustipher: 6th-UDFA

I don't think any other names that have been tossed around should be drafted, e.g. Tariq Castro-Fields. Hard pass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danger said:

Development? It's been a roller coaster ride, and not a very good one. He seems competent at times, and like he doesn't belong in the league at other times.

How do you change the setting on this guy from “Unbridled Jalen Hurts hate”? I’m getting bored of this channel. 

3 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

How do you change the setting on this guy from “Unbridled Jalen Hurts hate”? I’m getting bored of this channel. 

I can call it as I see it without letting it get to me. There was a good 4-5 week stretch where Jalen Hurts didn't look like a top 50 QB in the NFL. He's looked competent the last two games fortunately.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

My grades are: 
WR Jahan Dotson: Late 1st-Early 2nd
S JaQuan Brisker: Early-Mid 2nd
LB Brandon Smith: Mid-Late 2nd 
EDGE Arnold Ebiukete: 4th (Very good pass rusher, but not incredibly well rounded at the NFL Level)
OT Rasheed Walker: Lat 4th - Mid 5th
LB Ellis Brooks: 6th-7th
DT PJ Mustipher: 6th-UDFA

I don't think any other names that have been tossed around should be drafted, e.g. Tariq Castro-Fields. Hard pass.

Right now Dotson is my #2 WR behind Treylon. He sort of looks like DeVonta.
That being said, I haven't watched Olave or Wilson this year, and I'm reading great things about Wilson.

WR's I've seen:

1 Treylon 
2 Dotson
3 David Bell
4 London
5 Doubs

and if I'm being honest, Dotson is better right now. I just love Treylon's ceiling. It DK Metcalf vs Stefon Diggs.

Edited by Jeezla

3 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Hurts had a great first half this week, but then played just as bad as he has been in the second half...

I really haven't seen much "development" from him. He seems like the same player, but the coaches are calling a much better game on offense which is helping him look much more competent than earlier in the year. I put more weight into the coaching improving than Hurts who has played one legit good half over the past three weeks.

Hurts can function in an offense that is built around running the football. Outside of that I think he is a backup at best.

• Like 1

I was never really on the Hurts Bandwagon TBH but honestly don't get all of the hate from some of you? Not sure if it's Rediculous expectations or just typical Eagles fans hate because "said player" isn't the next Mahomes, CMC or Moss?

Hurts hasn't even played an entire seasons worth of games (14) and in already playing his 2nd different offense. Some of you are acting like this kid is the 2nd coming of JaMarcus Russell, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Kevin Kolb!

There's a great article on PE.com but here's some cliff notes to keep in mind when kicking him out the door because he's not a Top 5 QB in the NFL in what amounts basically to his Rookie season.

In the last three weeks, Hurts has played as well as any quarterback in the league and the numbers bear that to be true. He is ...

• First among all NFL QBs with 186 rushing yards

• Second in the NFL with a 102.6 passer rating

• Third with 8.2 yards/passing attempt

• Eighth with 36 total first downs

•Tied for ninth with a 66.7 percent completion percentage

For the season, Hurts leads NFL quarterbacks in rushing touchdowns (5), is second with 547 rushing yards, is second with a 113.9 red zone rating, is seventh in total offense (2,594) and 106 plays of 10-plus yards, and is tied for seventh with 35 plays of 20-plus yards. His 18 offensive touchdowns rank tied for 11th among league signal-callers.

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Hurts hasn't even played an entire seasons worth of games (14) and in already playing his 2nd different offense.

Yeah. I actually highlighted this in a post when I was criticizing Simms for not putting Hurts in his top 40 QBs this off-season. It actually goes deeper than that when you add in his college career.

On 6/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, TheRealMcCoy said:

Speaking of coaches. I don't think its brought up enough how many different systems/offenses that Hurts has had to learn. Here is just a quick run down:

1. ) 2016 - Hurts true freshman year at Bama he had to learn under Kiffin & Sark to an extent for the championship game.
  2. ) 2017 - Then, Daboll takes over the offense and Hurts has to learn a new one, but he bolts for Buffalo after the year to eventually go on to coach Josh Allen as a rookie before turning down the opportunity to coach Hurts this offseason lol.
  3. ) 2018 - Kiffin comes back to enter the fray, so this was a return to the familiar for Hurts, but by this time he wasn't really playing at all as Tua was the starter, so it didn't really matter, but I figured I should detail every season.
  4. ) 2019 - Hurts transfers to Oklahoma where Lincoln Riley who had gotten good results out of Mayfield and Murray considering both went #1 overall and won the Heisman. Hurts unfortunately only had 1 season under him as a Senior before being drafted compared to Murray (2) and Mayfield (3), but he did have his best season by far and was 2nd in Heisman voting just edging out Fields in 3rd and way behind 1st in Burrow.
  5. ) 2020 - Hurts is selected in the 2nd round and has to learn Doug Pederson's offense with hardly any offseason like I talked about before.

So, that is 3 different offenses in 4 years of college and 4 different offenses in 5 years when you add in the Eagles as a rookie. Now, he will be going on to his 5th offense in 6 years...... that is A LOT. 

Bottom line: The guy only had the same offense in 2016 & 2018. In 2016 he was a true freshman thrust into a starting role and 2018 he was firmly on the bench behind Tua and just basically waiting till he was gonna transfer, so not sure how much good a familiar offense did that year.

I just don't see how you look at Hurts rookie season and drop him so far because of it. The guy had a ton going against him not just this past rookie season, but his whole college tenure as far as change. You would have to go back to his high school career where he played for his dad for any sort of stability in play calling which is pretty nuts. Hopefully for his and our sake... he does well enough in 2021 to where he can experience 2 years in a row under Sirianni.

If he can improve some accuracy wise and going through progressions with what should hopefully be a healthier/better o-line and receiving corp, then he has the work ethic and more importantly the mental make-up to make it in the league as a starter and in Philly which isn't something we could say about you know who. 

I do think we’ve seen progression with him over the season. He’s not as panicky in the pocket these past weeks as he used to be. His rookie year he couldn’t stay in the pocket to safe his life and granted the OL was banged up and changing combinations last year, but he still bailed on a ton of clean pockets. I think his footwork in his drops has been better and his accuracy has improved from earlier in the year. I think for the most part he protects the ball pretty well too and doesn’t take too many bad sacks like Wentz did. Now, he’s nowhere near perfect, but his season has met my expectations so far. He’s probably cracking the top 20 QBs this year. I’ll take that for his first full year starting.

9 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

I was never really on the Hurts Bandwagon TBH but honestly don't get all of the hate from some of you? Not sure if it's Rediculous expectations or just typical Eagles fans hate because "said player" isn't the next Mahomes, CMC or Moss?

Hurts hasn't even played an entire seasons worth of games (14) and in already playing his 2nd different offense. Some of you are acting like this kid is the 2nd coming of JaMarcus Russell, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen or Kevin Kolb!

There's a great article on PE.com but here's some cliff notes to keep in mind when kicking him out the door because he's not a Top 5 QB in the NFL in what amounts basically to his Rookie season.

Not really saying anything other than the fact that Hurts isn't developing in some major way. He is still making the same exact mistakes that he was making week 2. Why has he looked better the past three weeks though? Because the offense is hiding him. Look at our rushing numbers the past three weeks. Look at how he played vs the Lions/Chargers. Are we really impressed by those games? Has he made some good throws? Yes of course. But he is still very inaccurate, he still bails out of pockets he shouldn't constantly, and he still is an extremely limited player talent wise whose room to grow is not that high.

If this was a guy with a ton of talent(massive arm, fast processing speed, accurate throws etc..) who I truly believed has tons of room to grow I would obviously be really excited to see if he can progress. But reality is we took a QB in the second round that most teams didn't want till the fourth round(and realistically if he didn't paly under Lincoln Riley he likely goes even later). I have seen numerous QB's in this league operate an offense better than Hurts, win more games than Hurts, and overall just play way better than Hurts, and they still never stick to a team... the NFL isn't built to win with the 16-22nd best QB in the league. Hurts is QB purgatory. He will be good enough to win some games, but that isn't enough in todays NFL. You don't need the next Manning or Brady to win in this league, but you need something better than what Hurts has to offer.

Could I be completely wrong and could Hurts just become a top 15 guy the rest of the year and show real development?  Yeah, but I don't think that will be the case at all.

• Like 1

• Kiltman changed the title to > 2022 Draft Prospect Thread <