2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

My thought exactly when I read this

Hall certainly looks like a complete package as an inside rusher but what about competition level?

The only draftable player Hall faced was Parham (Memphis), a talented but undersized late 2nd-early 3rd G/C. Hall took maybe a dozen snaps over him and got completely owned. He put up a fight but couldn't get anything done vs. run or pass. A guy with NFL feet and hands but only average size chewed up every move Hall had to offer. 

Hall has upside. If/when he packs on 15 lbs and ups his power a notch, he could be a top performer. That's not happening overnight. 

In this draft, the only guy who could factor immediately as an inside pass rusher appears to be Winfrey. The way he just breezed through some quality players at the senior bowl was impressive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

Hall certainly looks like a complete package as an inside rusher but what about competition level?

The only draftable player Hall faced was Parham (Memphis), a talented but undersized late 2nd-early 3rd G/C. Hall took maybe a dozen snaps over him and got completely owned. He put up a fight but couldn't get anything done vs. run or pass. A guy with NFL feet and hands but only average size chewed up every move Hall had to offer. 

Hall has upside. If/when he packs on 15 lbs and ups his power a notch, he could be a top performer. That's not happening overnight. 

In this draft, the only guy who could factor immediately as an inside pass rusher appears to be Winfrey. The way he just breezed through some quality players at the senior bowl was impressive.

Winfrey is definitely the prize and a contender for our pick at 28, and I'd hurt myself doing backflips if we got him. I'd also argue that since it's not an urgent pressing need to add an impact player there, we could wait until pick 59 to develop Hall into the player he projects to become. 

Trying to narrow down the "realistic" non-WR options at pick 22 for the Packers. I really don't see that many choices, but here's who I have: 

1. J. Johnson (not very realistic but he's not "automatic" top 21)
  2. Karlaftis
  3. Penning
  4. J. Davis
  5. Hill
  6. Cine?
  7. T. Smith?
  8. Pitre? 

Question marks next to Cine, T. Smith and Pitre because those selections at 22 would surprise me a bit, but they are prospects I expect the Packers to have higher on their board versus other teams. 

This list assumes the following players are 100% locks to be gone by pick 22: Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Ekwonu, Neal, Cross, Stingley, Gardner, Hamilton, Walker

A few other players were left off due to age: Wyatt and Raimann. 

It also assumes we are not drafting a QB, RB, or TE at pick 22. 

Moreover, it is highly unlikely that we draft an ILB (ex. Lloyd, Dean), OG (ex. Z. Johnson, K. Green) or CB (ex. McDuffie, Booth) at 22. 

So, unless I'm missing someone, assuming the Packers stick at 22 and there's no major surprise (i.e. Hamilton falls out of top 20), I think it pretty much comes down to Karlaftis, Penning, J. Davis, Dax Hill...or a WR. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Trying to narrow down the "realistic" non-WR options at pick 22 for the Packers. I really don't see that many choices, but here's who I have: 

2. Karlaftis
  3. Penning
  4. J. Davis
  5. Hill
  6. Cine?
  7. T. Smith?
  8. Pitre? 

Question marks next to Cine, T. Smith and Pitre because those selections at 22 would surprise me a bit, but they are prospects I expect the Packers to have higher on their board versus other teams. 

This list assumes the following players are 100% locks to be gone by pick 22: Hutchinson, Thibodeaux, Ekwonu, Neal, Cross, Stingley, Gardner, Hamilton, Walker

Moreover, it is highly unlikely that we draft an ILB (ex. Lloyd, Dean), OG (ex. Z. Johnson, K. Green) or CB (ex. McDuffie, Booth) at 22. 

So, unless I'm missing someone, assuming the Packers stick at 22 and there's no major surprise (i.e. Hamilton falls out of top 20), I think it pretty much comes down to Karlaftis, Penning, J. Davis, Dax Hill...or a WR. 

People will hate me for this, my dream scenario (if we hold our picks and don't trade for a WR) is getting Karlaftis and Davis in the 1st and getting lucky enough to get Pickens & McBride in the 2nd and then trading up and snagging the best OT available in the early 3rd. Pick up Thornton and Jelani Woods in the 4th round and then just hitting Specials in Rounds 5-7. 

It would obviously take a lot to make this happen, but that'd be a dream walk away scenario for me.

I think with this, you finally get a potential playmaker to plugin with Clark, you get the potential replacement for Z a potential #1 in Pickens, MVS replacement in Thornton and you get Big dog and Tonyan replacements and then hit a glaring weakness with the specials unit. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Looking at the top 75 WRs in the league by receiving yards and comparing it to 40 time.

Number of WRs in each 40 time bucket:

Of the top 75:

4.29+: 2

4.39-4.30: 18

4.49-4.40: 28

4.59-4.50: 23

4.69-4.60: 4

+

Of the top 50: 

4.29+: 1

4.39-4.30: 11

4.49-4.40: 20

4.59-4.50: 15

4.69-4.60: 3

+

Of the top 25: 

4.29+: 1

4.39-4.30: 7

4.49-4.40: 8

4.59-4.50: 8

4.69-4.60: 1

+++

Average 40 time of WRs with 1500+ yards: 4.54

Average 40 time of WRs with 1200+ yards: 4.46

Average 40 time of WRs with 1001-1200 yards: 4.45

Average 40 time of WRs with 801-1000 yards: 4.47

Average 40 time of WRs with 601-800 yards: 4.48

Average 40 time of WRs with 0-600 yards: 4.46

+++

Median 40 time of Top 10 WRs: 4.45

Median 40 time of 11-20: 4.50

Median 40 time of 21-30: 4.46

Median 40 time of 31-40: 4.48

Median 40 time of 41-50: 4.49

Median 40 time of 51-60: 4.49

Median 40 time of 61-70: 4.44

Median 40 time of 66-75: 4.46

TLDR: 40 time doesn't matter. 

It'd be nice to see those times normalized to weight somehow (I think that Kevin Cole did something like that). 40 time might matter, just in a different way.

22 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

2. Karlaftis
  3. Penning
  4. J. Davis
  5. Hill
  6. Cine?
  7. T. Smith?
  8. Pitre? 

I've come to the same conclusion (watch us both be wrong). I think it's highly likely one of those players is available, but am prepared for a worst case scenario in which none of them are there.  In that case I'd prefer to trade down - Seattle might dangle picks 40 and 41 to take a QB - and take Winfrey or Pickens at 28.

18 minutes ago, Sandy said:

I've come to the same conclusion (watch us both be wrong). I think it's highly likely one of those players is available, but am prepared for a worst case scenario in which none of them are there.  In that case I'd prefer to trade down - Seattle might dangle picks 40 and 41 to take a QB - and take Winfrey or Pickens at 28.

Yea, it could actually work out where WR is the best value at 22. Typically that's not the case, but if Karlaftis goes by then, you literally could be in a dead zone at EDGE at 22. Same for IDL...maybe you have Winfrey that high on your board and take him at 22 if Davis is gone, but again, I don't think Wyatt is realistic because of his age. So again, you might be in a small deadzone there and maybe you consider Winfrey, T. Jones or Hall at 28. 

I think the same can be said about OT. There's Penning and then...who? I think the Packers will like Tyler Smith because he's versatile and young, but at 22? Idk. Raimann won't be in play. There's not much else there. 

From an "options" standpoint at 22, you're probably looking at 2-3 safeties the Packers will really like plus the WR group. Because there really aren't any "top 10" WRs (maybe one will go by then), you could easily see us on the board with 2-3 of those top 6 WRs there (London, Wilson, Olave, Burks, Williams, Pickens). Just depends which of them have 1st round grades from GB. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

2. Karlaftis
  3. Penning
  4. J. Davis
  5. Hill
  6. Cine?
  7. T. Smith?
  8. Pitre? 

I have a difficult time passing on Ojabo, especially at 28.  I really like this:

I think he is going to be like Gary once he gets away from Harbaugh.  

10 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I have a difficult time passing on Ojabo, especially at 28.  I really like this:

I think he is going to be like Gary once he gets away from Harbaugh.  

I could see that too, but not at 22. That's the more difficult pick from an "options" standpoint IMO, again, depending on how the board actually falls on draft night. 

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I could see that too, but not at 22. That's the more difficult pick from an "options" standpoint IMO, again, depending on how the board actually falls on draft night. 

Gutes will do what is the unthinkable right now on draft night.