2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

57 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I agree with the bolded part. The point I was making is Rodgers is going to be a slot guy. It's more about short area quickness than straight line speed and most of the other measurables that makes up RAS. You could put Adams and Kupp in the same sort of category. Although both are elite route runners and could get open in a phone booth. 

I think RAS is more important if you are looking at guys outside. It's not the end all be all but it is important. 

A guy I still like this draft who doesn't have the athletic traits is David Bell from Purdue. I don't think he's drafted in round 1 or 2 and not sure he's there when we draft in 3. 

I think we mostly agree on this. Its certainly a factor when evaluating, especially outside guys, but even there it's the skills that will separate the Godwins from the EQs.

Agreed on Bell. With such a deep group of WRs, someone like him is going to fall way too low into round 3 

38 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Might it be as simple as RAS is given more credence to some positions more than others? I honestly don't know. But I think it's a question worth asking at least.  

I think that's what my theory is getting at.  Maybe an Edge needs RAS to succeed more than a inside linebacker, for example. It's worth looking into.

22 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Anybody watched Lewis Cine?  Safety is a sneaky need for us and he might be in play at 28.  I kind of like him more than Hamilton.

Like @Packerraymond said, I just don't think he's the type of safety the Packers are going to be looking at.  I'd imagine they'll be looking at the slot corner/nickelback roles.

20 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm warming up to a DK Metcalf deal ... I'd part with a couple draft picks for him given his age and the fact that he has proven he can play the game at a high level.  He's a freak athlete for sure .. pretty much a can't miss.  Not sure which picks I'd give up .. maybe a 1&3, or the (2) #2's?  Draft picks are so speculative.  Sometimes you think you are getting a sure thing and they wind up as a super bust.  We'd probably only get Metcalf cheaply for one year, but if things worked out he'd definitely be worth inking long term.  

Paying a premium in terms of $$$ and draft picks seems like an unwise use of resources.

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

As hard as it may be, don't throw this kid out just yet. 

In the best shape of my life right now, It’s comin together . . .⏳

I don't think anyone should give up on Amari, my hope is our staff told him, we don't need you at 215, come back at 200-205, less bulk lifting, more cardio, agility training. 

He just looked like a guy that got a complex about being 5'9 and hit the weight room like mad. Came in bulky, slow and stiff, didn't look like himself.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Pick #22 comes up and you are on the clock.  3 WRs are surprisingly still on the board.  

A. Jameson Williams

B. Chris Olave

C. Drake London

D. You trade back a couple of slots and get one of them and a later pick.

Assuming your top candidates from other positions are gone. Who are you taking??

Rank them in order.

That would be a pretty hard one for me.  Drake London is WR1 for me, so that'd probably be my first option.  I think it depends on how far down the board, and how much I was getting in return.  If I'm moving back 2-3 spots and getting a 3rd round pick in return, I'd probably do that.

14 hours ago, Scoremore said:

We need help now.  Olave is a far superior route runner and has better hands than Pierce.  I like Pierce just fine but given the choice I'd take Olave in a heartbeat.  Get where you are going but it's like trying to compare Adams to MVS.  Actually think Pierce has more upside than MVS and I would not be upset at all if we draft him.  Just not in the 1st round.  If we could snag Pierce at #59 I'm on board.  Olave will probably be one of the first receivers off the board.  He'll likely be gone before we pick.  If somehow he falls to #22 we'll be lucky.  Way I see it we need two really good players.  Would love it if we scored Olave in the first and followed up with Pierce in the 2nd round.  Nice complementary receivers.  Perfect.

The WR is also incomplete.  If you feel like Jameson Williams is the superior WR in the long run, are you going to take Chris Olave simply because he's going to be better in 2022?  Or do you trust your board and take the better WR even if he won't help you out this year?

13 hours ago, wgbeethree said:

So why should I like Christian Watson early so much more than Isaiah Weston late? Age?

That's probably your off-brand version of Watson.  The agility scores seem to be the biggest difference (3 cone and shuttle numbers).

I don't know where else to put this, but I feel like everyone sees such a drastic need for the Packers at WR that they just automatically pick a WR with one, or both, of our firsts.  But it has been 20 years since we took a WR in the first round, and 14 since we did with our first pick of the draft.  It just isn't what we tend to do, and the front office has been the Wolf tree since 1993(ish?).  

Now, this could just be where the rubber hits the road.  And possibly the best player on the board is a WR.  But I won't be surprised if we take a DL and then a falling OT with the two firsts.  Then there will be hand-wringing and bad draft grades and some guy will bring up Cody Latimer and Ernest Shazor for some period between 10 months and 3 years.  I think we are so laser focused on WR that we are overlooking the value of the draft because of a NEED, rather than evaluating who and what will actually be around at our selections.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Now...

try to marry that with the Packers draft philosophy. The first round traditionally been for high value positions eg OT, DL, OLB, CB. It makes drafting a WR in the 1st round somewhat unlikely.

Also Gute has shown a tendency to lean towards high RAS/SPARQ players.

Lets pretend for one moment we don't and we wait until the 2nd round to draft a WR, who could be there at pick #53 that fits with what LaFleur wants to do and fits with Gute's preferences?

Christian Watson ticks all of LaFleur's and Gute's boxes but is he going to be available at that point in the draft. I don't know. Personally I feel he will be taken very early based on his overall potential but lots of people also feel he's only a 2nd round pick at best (I have no idea why).

If not him, who else do you think fits the bill?

Can't say I disagree with any of this.  Think it's highly unlikely the Packers go WR at 22.  I think they could go WR at 28, but I think it'll depend largely on who is left on the board.  I think EDGE/OL would be the Packers' ideal scenario at 22 and 28.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I don't think anyone should give up on Amari, my hope is our staff told him, we don't need you at 215, come back at 200-205, less bulk lifting, more cardio, agility training. 

He just looked like a guy that got a complex about being 5'9 and hit the weight room like mad. Came in bulky, slow and stiff, didn't look like himself.

I gave up on Amari when he muffed the punt after only making the team because of his draft pick status.  Anything that we get from him is a bonus in my eyes.  

4 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

This goes back to the Stephen Hill comp. if you’re that elite of a prospect, teams still get you the ball. A lot of the scouting reports explain why he was graded a third round pick pre combine. 

PFF- dropped 16 of 120 catchable balls. Has problems tracking

NFL.com- uses extra steps. Lacks bend

Throw in the comp gap. This guy is too raw for top 50

And I'm not expecting for everyone to like Watson.  But who offers the upside he does outside of the top WRs?  If the board is pretty rough after R1, who is going to potentially be a top WR for a team in 2-3 years?  And I'm not just talking about guys like Olave, Wilson, Williams, etc. being off the board, but talking about that second tier like Alec Pierce, George Pickens, etc.  He's going to likely come off the board in the early part of Day 2 based purely on upside.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Olave has been worlds better then Pierce, and that's not a knock on Pierce by any means.

So than that means the evaluation is based on what they had done and are today… no projection of their abilities into nfl systems against the type of CB abilities they will see consistently… etc.

got it. Thanks