2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I will be absolutely shocked if the pick at 11 isn't a receiver now. Who knows? Maybe they surprise and take Malik Willis. I seriously doubt it and really don't want them too. My guess is they go with Garrett Wilson.

I'm always looking for a deal -tradedown. I hope some QB is there that some team has to have and gives us a minor boat load of picks for our #11. 

54 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I will be absolutely shocked if the pick at 11 isn't a receiver now. Who knows? Maybe they surprise and take Malik Willis. I seriously doubt it and really don't want them too. My guess is they go with Garrett Wilson.

I think there’s a very real chance they’re going to bite on one of the FA WRs. Probably Cooper, since they were so far down the road with him before. 

I think there’s a definite sense that they need to get the fanbase invigorated this offseason, and I think it’s going to become clear to them that missing on the top names and pivoting to Wentz isn’t going to move the needle. After QB, WR is probably the most exciting position to the masses (and, who am I kidding, to me too). 

It might make more sense to use FA to check off MLB and FS with two really solid veteran players, and then look to the draft for a WR. We probably need instant impact at those positions more than at WR, where (God willing) Samuel should at least be able to do something this year. That’s probably the way Rivera would prefer to handle it. But I think they’re looking for some excitement and crowd-pleasing at this point, and adding Wentz PLUS Amari Cooper starts to make this offense look pretty dangerous. 

Just now, MacDog said:

I was just listening to Albert Breer on Rich Eisen's show, and he said he still thinks we draft a QB @11.

I don't see it. I just don't.

I also don't think we should....@11.

What I would do, is trade down to best offer on the table regardless how far down. (But stay in 1st Rd)

Pick up a 2nd RD and more draft picks if possible. (Even 2023 picks as well)

Then, go from there.

If our QB we want is there? Take him. Otherwise, I go best available player + need at that spot on trade down.

1 minute ago, aceinthehouse said:

I don't see it. I just don't.

I also don't think we should....@11.

What I would do, is trade down to best offer on the table regardless how far down. (But stay in 1st Rd)

Pick up a 2nd RD and more draft picks if possible. (Even 2023 picks as well)

Then, go from there.

If our QB we want is there? Take him. Otherwise, I go best available player + need at that spot on trade down.

Yeah, I kind of think the trade was a loud and clear "we don't like anyone in the draft's chances of being our franchise QB."

But it is possible I suppose, that someone like Willis or Corral who will sit the year could be in play.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm always looking for a deal -tradedown. I hope some QB is there that some team has to have and gives us a minor boat load of picks for our #11. 

I’d rather take the best WR at 11 available (Burks, Olave or Garrett Wilson) and then in round 2 take a MLB or a FS, whichever is the best available and then in round 4 draft the other position, OL, DE or CB.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MacDog said:

Yeah, I kind of think the trade was a loud and clear "we don't like anyone in the draft's chances of being our franchise QB."

But it is possible I suppose, that someone like Willis or Corral who will sit the year could be in play.

or its the leak you still taking a QB so people trade ahead of you and a better player falls to you strat

• Like 3

On 3/9/2022 at 5:22 PM, Ghostnote said:

I think we go with BPA. 40 times dont really justify the speed in game. 

Olave is just a smoother route runner altogether. But if Williams is available, he is the best vertical threat in this draft. 

I think the BPA will be a WR or it’ll be one of the BPA’s and our greatest need expect for MLB but I expect us to sign a vet MLB. 

We have awful luck with drafting guys coming off torn ACLs, Williams is off my board. We have a great vertical threat in Terry & we have Dyami who may develop into a good vertical threat in time - hopefully he runs routes/learns tricks from Terry this off-season & becomes that this year.

Route running is so, so important in the NFL, it’s why Gruden wanted Michael Thomas over Doctson in the 2016 draft but McCloughan wanted Doctson so we took the athletic guy who couldn’t run routes & couldn’t separate … we all know how that worked out. Route running is also why Terry is a good - arguably great WR - we should take the best route runner in the draft, and that’s Olave.

Olave running his percise/smooth routes opposite Terry w/ Samuel in the slot & Logan at TE w/ Gibby or McKissic coming out of the backfield on routes will be very hard for defenses to stop. 

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ovfd55 said:

or its the leak you still taking a QB so people trade ahead of you and a better player falls to you strat

That certainly is not a bad strategy, but are Ron and the marty boys that shrewd? these are the guys who had the helmet's reflection with the horrible W logo clearly seen in the video.

• Like 1

Putting aside my personal views on doubling up at the QB position, you just can’t execute such a plan if Step 1 of said plan is “Trade for Carson Wentz.”

We can speculate and ponder all day long about this guy’s demeanor and his reputation with teammates and coaches. But the one thing that is basically common knowledge about Carson Wentz is that he couldn’t handle them keeping Nick Foles to loom behind him and he couldn’t handle them drafting Jalen Hurts to loom behind him. That part was pretty well known, especially at the time of his departure from Philly. 

If you trade for Wentz, and then you draft a young kid with a high pick immediately thereafter, you’re just thumbing your nose at history and willfully ignoring what you know about this person you’re now dealing with. You just can’t do that — you might as well just light those 3rd round picks and that $28M on fire, based on how we’ve seen him respond in similar situations in the past. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Putting aside my personal views on doubling up at the QB position, you just can’t execute such a plan if Step 1 of said plan is “Trade for Carson Wentz.”

We can speculate and ponder all day long about this guy’s demeanor and his reputation with teammates and coaches. But the one thing that is basically common knowledge about Carson Wentz is that he couldn’t handle them keeping Nick Foles to loom behind him and he couldn’t handle them drafting Jalen Hurts to loom behind him. That part was pretty well known, especially at the time of his departure from Philly. 

If you trade for Wentz, and then you draft a young kid with a high pick immediately thereafter, you’re just thumbing your nose at history and willfully ignoring what you know about this person you’re now dealing with. You just can’t do that — you might as well just light those 3rd round picks and that $28M on fire, based on how we’ve seen him respond in similar situations in the past. 

I think if RR believes and went all in on Carson Wentz, you have to give him all the players you can for him to succeed. You fortify what is a very good OL, another WR and supplement the RB Core. Defensively sign an enforcer to play MLB which will help the offense. 
Hopefully CW succeeds not letting any room for excuses. If he doesn’t the search continues next year. 

• Like 1