2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

4 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I’ve referenced this every year we talk about next years class being stronger or weaker. I still maintain we should have traded up for Watson over picking Payne or James. But we had Bruce and The Kirk situation we not only could have traded Kirk to San Fran for a haul and gotten more picks then we would have given up for Watson. But this FO is a joke. We do not build a roster we change our direction every 5 years and then wonder why we can’t build. Because we can’t resign guys from previous regimes because we’re in a cycle of insanity here

to the point though I don’t see anyone who has Mahomes type upside because I don’t see his caliber or even close arm talent. This class has a lot of questions. And Watson was one of the greatest college QB’s to ever play at that time and honestly I still think he tops that list for me. I get there not being a consencious number one guy but in that class I def thought Watson was number one with Patrick a close second because of his traits. When Chicago took Mitch I was floored. He was nowhere close to Watson or Mahomes in any of the catagories that matter as far as grading out a QB.

And if we had traded Kirk to San Fran & then traded up for Watson right now we'd be dealing with all of his sexual harassment claims so he wouldn't be playing or if Watson was he’d have a major cloud over his head right now.

I just hope we draft someone this year, even if it's not until Round 2 and it's Carson Strong. This fanbase needs something. Last year's draft has to go down as one of the most disappointing considering the moves we could've made to try to upgrade QB - the most position on the field - for the long term. 

I know Rivera & Turner we're fine w/ pointing to Heinickie & Kyle Allen as the young QBs they're developing but outside of a small, loud and very vocal Heinickie Hive, most weren't buying them as being the long term answer for us.

Edited by turtle28

33 minutes ago, Umbaugh21 said:

Dumb me. But yeah still not Top 5.

As @turtle28 said, your point is definitely valid anyway. It doesn’t have to be top 5.

But the reality is that if you get outside the top 15 or so, it’s probably just not gonna work out with anyone left on the board. There are exceptions, obviously, but over the last 15 years or so, you’re just not finding many franchise guys™️ outside the top 12-15 picks. That’s really the bright-line cutoff for me. You either get a guy that you want enough to take that high — or just don’t even waste your time until maybe a day 3 flyer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

As @turtle28 said, your point is definitely valid anyway. It doesn’t have to be top 5.

But the reality is that if you get outside the top 15 or so, it’s probably just not gonna work out with anyone left on the board. There are exceptions, obviously, but over the last 15 years or so, you’re just not finding many franchise guys™️ outside the top 12-15 picks. That’s really the bright-line cutoff for me. You either get a guy that you want enough to take that high — or just don’t even waste your time until maybe a day 3 flyer. 

This is true. “It’s also true that having a great back up is the 2nd most important position on the team behind the starting QB.” Paraphrasing Joe Gibbs

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

And if we had traded Kirk to San Fran & then traded up for Watson right now we'd be dealing with all of his sexual harassment claims so he wouldn't be playing or if Watson was he’d have a major cloud over his head right now.

I just hope we draft someone this year, even if it's not until Round 2 and it's Carson Strong. This fanbase needs something. Last year's draft has to go down as one of the most disappointing considering the moves we could've made to try to upgrade QB - the most position on the field - for the long term. 

I know Rivera & Turner we're fine w/ pointing to Heinickie & Kyle Allen as the young QBs they're developing but outside of a small, loud and very vocal Heinickie Hive, most weren't buying them as being the long term answer for us.

I know the Watson situation would be horrible right now but that’s not typical. From a football standpoint with having Kirk on his second tag and having offered what they were willing to offer and him again not accepting the smart football move was too trade Kirk. We could have traded up for Mahomes or Watson. There were guys who would have been able to step onto a team and we could have built around the player before this roster really fell off after Kirk left.

Whatever DeSeans situation is currently that’s not something you can predict or know scouting a player unless your just a wizard. But for this team we’re in a whole different position as a franchise making a well run team move by drafting one of the guys who coming out had much higher ceilings the Kirk did coming out and you could have hauled in more assets then we would have given up to move up. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If Carson Strong’s knee is more healthy at the combine & pro days I could see him climbing back into 1st round consideration. He has everything else you'd want in a first-round QB but that knee is a concern at the moment.

He’s going to go early. There’s been multiple reports how his knee has been doing really well since he hasn’t been playing now that he’s allowing it the time to heal. That said it’s a huge risk taking a guy who doesn’t run. Like the prospect just don’t think he’s a fit here

• Like 1

I just think we end up with one of the three. Either Pickett, Corral or Howell in that order depending on who’s available. Nobody is going to want to get traded here and that includes Carr. My guess is Wilson gets traded to the Giants, Rodgers goes to the Broncos as expected, Carr to the Panthers and Watson to the Dolphins. We end up with one of the three mentioned above in the draft and Heinecke. Possibly Allen sticks around as well. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just think we end up with one of the three. Either Pickett, Corral or Howell in that order depending on who’s available. Nobody is going to want to get traded here and that includes Carr. My guess is Wilson gets traded to the Giants, Rodgers goes to the Broncos as expected, Carr to the Panthers and Watson to the Dolphins. We end up with one of the three mentioned above in the draft and Heinecke. Possibly Allen sticks around as well. 

if the Dolphines get Watson  will they deal Tua and would we be players ?

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Corral goes to Houston, Phila trades up and takes Pickett, Carolina takes Howell at 7 or 8 and we take Strong w/ the 10th pick or wherever we end up.

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

if the Dolphines get Watson  will they deal Tua and would we be players ?

I would think Tua would be traded to Houston in a deal to get Watson to Miami. If that happens, that's good for us as Houston wouldn't be taking Corral or Pickett.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

My first choice would be Watson if he wants to come here and he’s able to play. 
2nd would be CJ Stroud in 2023 draft. 
3rd would be a trade for Carr. 
Not really interested in any QBs coming out this year. 

I think Stroud might be more gettable for us than the guy I’d want in 2023, which is Bryce Young. That kid, in my opinion, is absolutely terrific. I will be pretty surprised if, barring injury, he doesn’t end up as the #1 pick. 

And since I don’t think there’s any real chance we’re bad enough next season to pick #1, I’m not going to spend too much of my emotional energy on the idea of landing him. Perhaps Stroud will be more in our range. He’s got some tools, and I was really impressed that he managed to beat out Ewers to lock down that job long-term. I’m looking forward to seeing him challenged again next year.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think Stroud might be more gettable for us than the guy I’d want in 2023, which is Bryce Young. That kid, in my opinion, is absolutely terrific. I will be pretty surprised if, barring injury, he doesn’t end up as the #1 pick. 

And since I don’t think there’s any real chance we’re bad enough next season to pick #1, I’m not going to spend too much of my emotional energy on the idea of landing him. Perhaps Stroud will be more in our range. He’s got some tools, and I was really impressed that he managed to beat out Ewers to lock down that job long-term. I’m looking forward to seeing him challenged again next year.

I don’t know if your watching the Rose Bowl but Stroud is making some real nice throws. I also am very anxious to see how well he progresses in the upcoming season. 

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

I don’t know if your watching the Rose Bowl but Stroud is making some real nice throws. I also am very anxious to see how well he progresses in the upcoming season. 

I’m not watching it live, but will absolutely be checking it out once it gets posted on YouTube or something. The fact that he’s still balling out without Olave and Wilson is a great sign for him. 

Also, it looks like Smith-Njigba will no longer be one of my favorite little secrets. I think the Njig is up on that one...