Villanueva Signed

16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think there's a decent chance we flip one of our young IOL pieces for a 2022 pick. 

Ben Powers to KC for a 6th/7th round pick. They’ve already got some Oklahoma OL pieces over there, they might be looking to complete the infinity guantlet.

Kinda interesting interview that Villanueva did right before the draft with a Spanish-language station that someone on Reddit translated - dude certainly seems excited to play in our offense: 

"It has been a interesting process, its the first time I have a interview with a team (because when he came to the league he went to the practice squad with Steelers, there was no interview), I had a 15-20 min interview and learn about the philoshopy of the club, I visited the facilities, I talked to the coaches, first to the HC, I liked a lot Harbaugh, he knows what he talks, he's very similar to Tomlin, a players coach, and then I saw the Ravens offense, the Ravens offense is a WET DREAM for any OL in this league, in Pittsburgh was a kamikaze mission, throwing the football 800 hundred times from a 2 point stance, that I cannot put my hand in the floor, always throwing the football, and throwing the football but I don't know how much time the pass are going to last, the pass may last 1'5 seconds or it may last 4 seconds, to endure 60-70 passes each game, it's the worst, the worst that can happen is that you have to pass the football in that predictable way with a QB THAT DOESN'T MOVE 70-80 times for game, with a QB that seems he is playing playstation, and know you start to see how the ravens play and then you realize is a game that as offensive line you can go for them, you can be physical, you can have fun, you can be explosive."

• Like 6

One of the fan analyst Ravens channels on YT created a cut up of Alejandro Villanueva's playoff performance against the Browns-

He looks like about what you'd expect of a Tackle still available in FA at this point. Unspectacular with some issues/limitations, but certainly an upgrade to Tyre Phillips and hopefully to DJ Fluker as well. The best thing to take away from this video though, is that the Steelers extended the awful QB in it and drafted a HB in the 1st Round.

Listening to some sound bites from Villanueva's intro presser, man I could listen to this guy speak for days. His story alone from college > military > UDFA > Pittsburgh > Baltimore is remarkable by itself, but he also seems to be super intelligent about studying the game and being an OL.

I also didn't know that in college he was a WR for a year lol

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Ben Powers to KC for a 6th/7th round pick. They’ve already got some Oklahoma OL pieces over there, they might be looking to complete the infinity guantlet.

It may not be Powers, but given the depth of this roster I could see a couple different guys traded in training camp for picks or pick round swaps. One of the IOL, someone in the defensive backfield should another team have an injury, someone like Boykin, etc.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

One of the fan analyst Ravens channels on YT created a cut up of Alejandro Villanueva's playoff performance against the Browns-

He looks like about what you'd expect of a Tackle still available in FA at this point. Unspectacular with some issues/limitations, but certainly an upgrade to Tyre Phillips and hopefully to DJ Fluker as well. The best thing to take away from this video though, is that the Steelers extended the awful QB in it and drafted a HB in the 1st Round.

Even if he's unspectacular, I think that's sort of the point to a degree with this signing. A guy that can contribute on the right side but also play a competent LT if needed.

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Even if he's unspectacular, I think that's sort of the point to a degree with this signing. A guy that can contribute on the right side but also play a competent LT if needed.

Definitely. A weak wall is better than a broken one, and we weren't left with many options.

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Definitely. A weak wall is better than a broken one, and we weren't left with many options.

With this signing and my likely unrealistic hopes of what Cleveland can be, I'm having dreams of Lamar dropping back; having all day to throw; Hollywood, Andrews, Watkins, and Bateman embarrassing secondaries asked to cover for 5-6+ seconds; Lamar being able to takeoff for 10+ if nothing's there... It's a good dream

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

With this signing and my likely unrealistic hopes of what Cleveland can be, I'm having dreams of Lamar dropping back; having all day to throw; Hollywood, Andrews, Watkins, and Bateman embarrassing secondaries asked to cover for 5-6+ seconds; Lamar being able to takeoff for 10+ if nothing's there... It's a good dream

Great part of Bateman’s game was his wiggle while on the move. If Lamar and he can figure out a way to build a connection, they could punish defenses in the intermediate parts of the field when the defensive plays break down, along with Andrew’s obviously.

That amount of defensive attention that will have to eventually be paid to the short and intermediate parts of the field with those two, would ultimately enable Hollywood to work #3 corners a few times a game for some big plays.

Throw in Duvernay as a short feed option in the event that Andrews needs a breather or Wallace as a intermediate/deep threat that can be a more sure handed version of what 2018 Michael Crabtree provided for Lamar during his rookie season.

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Great part of Bateman’s game was his wiggle while on the move. If Lamar and he can figure out a way to build a connection, they could punish defenses in the intermediate parts of the field when the defensive plays break down, along with Andrew’s obviously.

That amount of defensive attention that will have to eventually be paid to the short and intermediate parts of the field with those two, would ultimately enable Hollywood to work #3 corners a few times a game for some big plays.

Throw in Duvernay as a short feed option in the event that Andrews needs a breather or Wallace as a intermediate/deep threat that can be a more sure handed version of what 2018 Michael Crabtree provided for Lamar during his rookie season.

Don't sleep on Watkins either - he has shown a knack for sitting down in soft spots in the zone and being able to turn up field fast and violently

3 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Don't sleep on Watkins either - he has shown a knack for sitting down in soft spots in the zone and being able to turn up field fast and violently

True. Just not sure how many games he’ll be playing this year. 😆

But yeah, he will at least upgrade what Boykins provided I’m sure.

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

The best thing to take away from this video though, is that the Steelers extended the awful QB in it and drafted a HB in the 1st Round.

Did Roethlisberger get extended?  I thought he just refused to retire

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He signed a 1 Year extension in March.

I just looked it up - it was an extension in that it added a bunch of voidable years so that they could spread out his salary over 5 years as a signing bonus for the purpose of getting them under the salary cap.  He isn't actually under contract for any longer than he already was