2022 NFL Draft Talk

lumberjackchris

What portion of the draft will be picking?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What portion of the draft will be picking?

• Top 3
    • Top 10
    • Top 15

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yeah... yeah, I guess it was. I was thinking Amukamara that day, I remember now.

Will Fuller, perhaps? Maybe it was a shock that's it was Fuller ahead of TCU WR Josh Doctson, but position was square on the head. Once Corey Coleman was gone, it was pretty much going to be Fuller, Doctson or Laquan Treadwell (at least that's how my memory serves me).

I was going to say Fuller given the obvious need at WR but it was several WR's available when we went up to pick like you said. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

When was the last time the Texans made an obvious pick in the 1st round? Clowney at 1? 

it seems like it’s normally a surprise pick. 

In all fairness, pretty hard to be predictable when we've usually picked in the late teens, mid twenties. Cushing was kind of predictable, although Clay Matthews was also in consideration. Same with JJ Watt. There was a large contingency that wanted Cameron Jordan and the debate was between those two. As an aside, the 2011 first round, specifically the top 11 is ridiculous in retrospect. Cam Newton, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, and JJ Watt. The only two picks in the top 12 that weren't pro bowlers were all QBs. Jake Locker to Tennessee at 8, Blaine Gabbert to Jax at 9, and Christian Ponder to Minnesota at 12. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LORK88 said:

As an aside, the 2011 first round, specifically the top 11 is ridiculous in retrospect. Cam Newton, Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, AJ Green, Patrick Peterson, Julio Jones, Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, and JJ Watt. The only two picks in the top 12 that weren't pro bowlers were all QBs. Jake Locker to Tennessee at 8, Blaine Gabbert to Jax at 9, and Christian Ponder to Minnesota at 12. 

Even outside the top 11, you had some incredible marquee names come from that draft: Maurice Pouncey, Ryan Kerrigan, Cam Heyward, Cam Jordan, Justin Houston, KJ Wright, Richard Sherman, Chris Harris Jr…

Top to bottom, a loaded draft. Might be the best I’ve ever observed.

My current 2022 Big Board

Bold = draft targets

Bold italic = priority undrafted free agent signings

QB EJ Perry (UDFA)

RB Breece Hall (2), Kenneth Walker III (2/3), Rachaad White (4/5), Master Teague III (UDFA)

FB Zander Horvath (UDFA)

WR Christian Watson (1/2), Kevin Austin, Jr. (5/6), Isaiah Weston (UDFA), Dareke Young (UDFA)

TE Jelani Woods (3/4), Daniel Bellinger (4/5), Jalen Wydermyer (6/7)

OT Matt Waletzko (6/7), Ryan Van Demark (7/ UDFA)

IOL Zion Johnson (1/2), Cole Strange (3/4), Tanner Owen (UDFA)

Edge Aiden Hutchison (T5), Arnold Ebiketie (1/2), Sam Okuayinonu (UDFA)

5-Tech Josh Paschal (3/4)

3-Tech Matt Henningsen (UDFA)

1-Tech NT Jordan Davis (1), Timothy Horne (UDFA)

LB Troy Andersen (2/3), Brandon Smith (3/4), Leo Chanel (3/4) edge?, Darrian Beavers (4/5), Cameron Goode (5/6), Damone Clark (5/6) IR 2023, Jeremiah Moon (6/7)

CB Sauce Gardner (T5), Tariq Woolen (2/3),  Zyon McCullom (2/3), Damarri Mathis (5/6), Dallis Flowers (UDFA)

SAF Kyle Hamilton (1), Nick Cross (2/3), JT Woods (4/5), Tycen Anderson (5/6)

K Cameron Dicker (7/UDFA) only if a trade for Fairbairn is lined up first

Ideally...

Trade with Seattle 1-3 for 1-9, 2023 FRP (DEN), 3-72

1-9 SAF Kyle Hamilton

Trade 1-13 to GB for 1-22 + 2-53

1-22 IOL Zion Johnson

2-37 RB Breece Hall

Trade 2-53 + 3-80 to SEA for 2-41

2-41 CB Tariq Woolen

3-68 Edge Josh Paschal (5 tech)

3-72  TE Jelani Woods

4-107 LB Brandon Smith

4-108 SAF JT Woods

Trade 6-205 + 7-245 to DAL for 5-176

5-176 LB Cameron Goode (PS)

6-183 WR Kevin Austin Jr.(PS)

6-207 K Cameron Dicker

Signed UDFAs

QB EJ Perry (PS)

FB Zander Horvath (PS)

WR Dareke Young (PS)

OT Ryan Van Demark (PS)

Edge Sam Okuayinonu (PS)

DT Matt Henningsen (3 tech) (PS)

NT Timothy Horne  (1 tech) (PS)

CB Dallis Flowers (PS)

Other moves

Trade K Ka’imi Fairbairn to DET for 2023 7th + TE Brock Wright

Trade DB Lonnie Johnson to NYG for CB James Bradberry

Trade T Charlie Heck to KC for 2023 conditional 5th

Move SAF Eric Murray to another team for a late round pick

Claim edge Ben Banogu when cut by Colts 

I want to trade back to pick up more 1sts. I’m not sold on anyone at 3. Lots of guys I would like but they all feel like a stretch at 3. Hamilton and Sauce both are likely to be studs in the league but just don’t feel like good value at 3. I’d love to trade back somewhere in the top 10 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I want to trade back to pick up more 1sts. I’m not sold on anyone at 3. Lots of guys I would like but they all feel like a stretch at 3. Hamilton and Sauce both are likely to be studs in the league but just don’t feel like good value at 3. I’d love to trade back somewhere in the top 10 

I'd also love to trade back but Caserio made it sound like that's unlikely. Ideally Hutchinson goes with one of the top 2 picks. In my opinion Travon Walker or Evan Neal are both worthy of being picked at 3. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I'd also love to trade back but Caserio made it sound like that's unlikely. Ideally Hutchinson goes with one of the top 2 picks. In my opinion Travon Walker or Evan Neal are both worthy of being picked at 3. 

Exactly, nobody really worth trading up for unfortunately. #13 is a spot where I could see us trading down though. 

• Like 2

I received an interesting question from a colleague (diehard Cowturds fan)...

"What players could your team draft and you wouldn't be ecstatic (not your favorites), but would feel that it was a solid draft?"

For me, I think it's 8 players: 1 1/2 starters and 6 contributors in year 2 or 3.

RB Rachaad White (committee with Mack)

WR Dareke Young (compare his measurables to Christian Watson's)

TE Daniel Bellinger (his comp is Kahale Warring :(, but he looks underused by his school and could be a weapon; great size as TE) 

IOL Cole Strange (learn this year and step into starter's role next year)  

Edge Sam Okuayinonu (great explosive #s for his size; relatively new to American football)

LB Cameron Goode (good all-around skill set; from Spring; my sleeper pick)

CB Zyon McCollum (local kid; crazy measureables; level of comp?)

SAF Nick Cross (once again, great measureables... why is he  being overlooked?)

Fun fact: Cross & Okuayinonu were teammates at MD

if we ended up with those 8, I would say that's a solid draft.. but I wouldn't be ecstatic

9 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

I would think the Cooks extension would make WR less of a need but I wouldnt be mad if Wilson the pick if he is there. We need to help out Mills at all cost. 

My dream scenario is Stingley at #3 and WR at #13. Jameson is my #1 with Wilson as my #2. 

• Like 1