Raiders sign CB Casey Hayward

Turnobili

Just makes too much sense for the Raiders and for him. They need the vet in the backfield. He goes to a scheme and coaching staff he's familiar with. I don't know how much he has left but the young guys need someone like him.

• Like 1

I preferred Sherman as well (think he's still better as an outside corner and would provide better leadership), but this isn't a signing I can complain about.

Hayward was a great slot corner before joining the Chargers, where he started playing outside and remained a high end corner. He is coming off a down year... I wonder if moving back to the slot would actually be better for him? Or maybe have the old Chris Harris role of being a starting outside CB who moves into the slot in nickel

Edited by Turnobili

I like it. We have a ton of young guys but no real savvy vet. He's super familiar with the scheme and can help mentor the young guns in Trayvon Mullen, Damon Arnette, Amik Robertson, Isiah Johnson, Nate Hobbs, etc. Likely didn't cost much at this point in time either. Not a bad stopgap for a season or two.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Very good value, especially the "up to" part. Likely a base of something around $2.5-$3M then. Let's hope he hits all those incentives!

We got room for that or will we need to cut someone? 

Hard not to like this move. 

The defensive backfield has a lot of youth and athleticism. But it lacks any sort of proven, veteran ability, leadership, or guidance. I think I actually prefer him to Sherman ever so slightly because we really don't know who of the young guys will step up, or break out, and if that will be on the outside or at the slot. Heyward gives us more flexibility being able to play outside or inside. He can help the young guys get a better feel for the scheme, he can help with the communication on the field, etc. 

He isn't what he once was obviously, but on a low paying virtually zero risk contract it makes a lot of sense. We aren't paying him on par with his best on field ability. We're paying him as a stop gap, and he still has the potential to give us a season or two of very good, steady CB play. 

After the draft a guy like CH was the biggest piece we were missing. 

• Like 1