Raiders sign CB Casey Hayward

Turnobili

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

What you mean?

Hayward's physical profile is eerily similar to Arnette's. But the point I was making was that if we only add players for "the scheme" we're not moving in the right direction. Add talent at all 3 levels and if Bradley is a good coach he'll find a way to make it work. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Hayward's physical profile is eerily similar to Arnette's. But the point I was making was that if we only add players for "the scheme" we're not moving in the right direction. Add talent at all 3 levels and if Bradley is a good coach he'll find a way to make it work. 

From what I read when we hired him is that he is good at adjusting to players strengths.  I hope this is true and not like Guenther and KNJ that you either fit their scheme or were out of luck.  I understand a coach has traits that they prefer but if you can not adjust then you truly do understand why and what you are doing.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

From what I read when we hired him is that he is good at adjusting to players strengths.  I hope this is true and not like Guenther and KNJ that you either fit their scheme or were out of luck.  I understand a coach has traits that they prefer but if you can not adjust then you truly do understand why and what you are doing.

Well KNJ was a first time DC so he didn’t really know what he was doing. 

Guenther plain and simple has never had a track record for developing talent or building a defense from scratch at any point in his coaching career. 

Bradleys done it twice.

Scheme fit is half the battle in the NFL. You have the elite players who can play in every scheme, then you have the majority of guys who'll go from good to bad depending on the scheme they're playing in. If you don't care about that, you'll end up with a mix of players who can't all play to their best in one scheme (no matter which one). For example, how are you going to have 2 CBs playing in the best situation if 1 is a press man CB and the other a zone CB? You can't scheme for that. One of them will waste his potential being asked to do something he isn't made for. Coherent team building requires a scheme and adding players who can all play to the best of their ability in it. Just last year, Miami signed Byron Jones to a huge contract and asked him to play a lot of man coverage when he had previously found success as a zone CB. It led to him not playing anywhere close to the level of his contract. On the other side, they had Howard, one of the best man CB. How can they scheme to maximize those 2?

• Like 1

While we don’t know if he’ll regain his form, this is the first corner with a solid cover history we have signed in ages. That alone is something to be excited about. I think he’ll do well and win the outside job over Arnette. He also brings flexibility to play outside or inside just in case Arnette did win the job (which isn’t likely). 

• Like 2

For PFF Junkies, Casey Hayward is PFF’s highest graded corner in a 5 year stretch they have ever had since they started recording around 2007. And that includes his 2020 year. 

With that said, I don’t trust PFF too much, and I’m not expecting Hayward to regain his full 2019 form, but I do think he’ll be wayyyy better than 2020. Let’s hope he was just playing injured.