2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Lots of talk about WR's. Is WR the biggest need or best value if one of the stud WR's are there at 22?

IMO, I think the best route for us is to sign a FA WR and RT (a 2-3 year stop gap like Moses), draft a CB in the 1st and a DT in the 2nd. I’d be fine resigning a couple of our  own FA DTs for a rotation.

I feel like this CB class is exceptionally strong and will have quality rookies at our pick. Only concern I have is how young our secondary is.

something like this would be a home run in my eyes. 

FA:

WR Chark

RT: Moses

DT: resign Philon and Jefferson

IDL: Karras 

Draft:

1st: Kaiir Elam CB 
2nd: Travis Jones DT/NT

3rd: Abraham Lucas RT (my project RT choice)

4th: Dameon Pierce RB 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

IMO, I think the best route for us is to sign a FA WR and RT (a 2-3 year stop gap like Moses), draft a CB in the 1st and a DT in the 2nd. I’d be fine resigning a couple of our  own FA DTs for a rotation.

I feel like this CB class is exceptionally strong and will have quality rookies at our pick. Only concern I have is how young our secondary is.

something like this would be a home run in my eyes. 

FA:

WR Chark

RT: Moses

DT: resign Philon and Jefferson

IOL: Karras 

Draft:

1st: Kaiir Elam CB 
2nd: Travis Jones DT/NT

3rd: Abraham Lucas RT (my project RT choice)

4th: Dameon Pierce RB 

Not my favorite but it does a good job of addressing our needs.  How much are you looking at signing the FAs for and did you take into consideration who you would be cutting to bring them in?  I think under this scenario we would still need some LBs and possibly a 3rd DE depending on how you feel about Ferrell and Koonce.

8 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Not my favorite but it does a good job of addressing our needs.  How much are you looking at signing the FAs for and did you take into consideration who you would be cutting to bring them in?  I think under this scenario we would still need some LBs and possibly a 3rd DE depending on how you feel about Ferrell and Koonce.

Koonce hasn't played enough for me to get a feeling on him. Ferrell needs to go if the salary cap allows for it. What a wasted draft pick.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Don’t disagree at all with your comments. I could be wrong, but I see all of those players as that 2nd-3rd tier in FA. We have to many holes to fill to be spending on a select few FAs. I know it’s not an exciting offseason plan, but personally think it’s reasonable and would improve our team overall.

As for LBs, I completely agree we need a long-term overhaul and could see that 3rd/4th rounder going towards them instead. same with the DEs, but would be fine (not thrilled) with Koonce and Ferrell as depth.

• Like 2

Just now, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

Koonce hasn't played enough for me to get a feeling on him. Ferrell needs to go if the salary cap allows for it. What a wasted draft pick.

I think we will keep Ferrell. Contract is fully guaranteed and no way of getting any cap relief unless we trade him and get $4.7 million in relief.  The other team would have to be willing to take on the salary and I do not think we get a pick that is worth it.   would rather take the chance that Graham can do something with him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

Don’t disagree at all with your comments. I could be wrong, but I see all of those players as that 2nd-3rd tier in FA. We have to many holes to fill to be spending on a select few FAs. I know it’s not an exciting offseason plan, but personally think it’s reasonable and would improve our team overall.

As for LBs, I completely agree we need a long-term overhaul and could see that 3rd/4th rounder going towards them instead. same with the DEs, but would be fine (not thrilled) with Koonce and Ferrell as depth.

I believe you did a good job and my disappointment comes from our hands being tied and not from your idea of what to do with our limited resources.  Imagine if we could restart in 2019 with our cap situation and draft picks.  3 1st rounders and and around $60 million in cap space.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I believe you did a good job and my disappointment comes from our hands being tied and not from your idea of what to do with our limited resources.  Imagine if we could restart in 2019 with our cap situation and draft picks.  3 1st rounders and and around $60 million in cap space.

Imagine having a competent HC and GM 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Wed just mess it up differently lmao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BakeSpeaks said:

Wed just mess it up differently lmao

We would mess some stuff up in our own way but most posters in here have have done a better job that Gruden and Mayock over the past few years.  How long have you been on the forum?  There are a lot of people that follow but do not talk much.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

There actually is one way he can help I think.  You designate him as a June 1st cut and wait to sign the draft picks after June 1st.  I believe this works but not 100% sure if the league makes teams set aside the money for draft picks.  We will not get to use the full $11 million but it could free up $6-7 million before June 1st.

On what we talked about before a possible trade for Brandin Cooks couldn't some of his salary be converted to a bonus so he wouldn't count much against the cap this year correct?

13 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

On what we talked about before a possible trade for Brandin Cooks couldn't some of his salary be converted to a bonus so he wouldn't count much against the cap this year correct?

He will cost $13.7 million and I believe we could restructure or extend his contract.  I believe we could add on a couple BS years and turn most of the base into a restructure bonus.  Simple example would be to turn $9 million into a restructure and add 2 years onto the contract that will be voided.  Cooks would get paid the full amount this year and be guaranteed $9 million.  He would only count $7.7 million this year against the cap then $3 million in 2023 and $3 million in 2024.  We can do this with any player but you are just mortgaging your future.  Similar to trading picks for proven vets.  If you are close to contending then it might be a good decision but if we are not thinking we can make a run next year it would be best to sit on our hands until we think we can.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

He will cost $13.7 million and I believe we could restructure or extend his contract.  I believe we could add on a couple BS years and turn most of the base into a restructure bonus.  Simple example would be to turn $9 million into a restructure and add 2 years onto the contract that will be voided.  Cooks would get paid the full amount this year and be guaranteed $9 million.  He would only count $7.7 million this year against the cap then $3 million in 2023 and $3 million in 2024.  We can do this with any player but you are just mortgaging your future.  Similar to trading picks for proven vets.  If you are close to contending then it might be a good decision but if we are not thinking we can make a run next year it would be best to sit on our hands until we think we can.

Thanks for breaking down the option of extending void years to Cooks if we trade for him.  It was quite helpful to a Lot of people who aren’t as understanding of the salary cap and contracts.

I’m a big proponent of adding void years to players, in most circumstances.  I actually miss the days of McKenzie structuring “pay as you go” deals with minimal dead cap.  I’m hoping we cut the bad contracts of Nassib, Kwiatkowski, Littleton (and let Drake play out his deal).  We’ll have dead cap in ‘23 from them but that’s okay if the cap goes up a lot.  But after those guys I’m really hoping we stop borrowing from the future with deals.  I was very happy how we did Kolton Miller’s deal.  We actually put money from his new deal into the Last year of his rookie deal.

if We want to keep Carr, Crosby and Renfrow, extend Waller, etc and have money every offseason to resign FAs and be able to go Conservatively shopping in FA then it Almost necessitates this approach.

I don’t see us as a team that is trying to keep the team Together and add a piece or two to push us over the top.  I see us as a team that’s got a 5 year window to be a yearly playoff contender.  We have a lot of guys approaching their primes.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

if We want to keep Carr, Crosby and Renfrow, extend Waller, etc and have money every offseason to resign FAs and be able to go Conservatively shopping in FA then it Almost necessitates this approach.

I agree with what you said but this is very important.  First time I remember this was JJ Watt when he got that huge extension.  I was pounding the table for us to take this approach with Mack and Carr.  It sucks in the beginning but allows you to build a very talented team over a few years.  If you miss on a player you can cut them with minimized impact on your current cap.  It does not make a huge difference with the cap carry over every year, except for years when the minimum cap is enforced, but after a few years you end up with enough to make a difference on a few big name contracts.  You go from signing good players to signing potential high impact players.  Thank you to @raidr4life for pointing out my miscalculations on the June 1st cuts.  Got to learn a little more about contracts.

• Like 1