2022 NFL Draft Thread

NYRaider

Just now, NYRaider said:

We will trade some members of this fanbase for you.

I need $230mm gtd to waive my NTC…

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Yes I think the most likely scenario is that we decline his 5th year option, ride him hard this season, and then likely let him walk or offer him something like what Fournette just got: 3 yr/$21M.

I would even pick up the 5th year - it’s cheap labor, all things considered. I’d double down on that by drafting his replacement that 5th year, so that the first year could be Jacobs taking the brunt of the work and abuse, while said rook would get touches while learning some nuances to the position - how blocking assignments work up front, how to provide pass protection in the pocket (one of the most underrated aspects of any RB, how much pass block support provided) and how to get into a routine where they can get the needed rest and recovery to perform.

To be honest - RBs are only valuable on a rookie contract. If they’re good on that contract, run em into the ground and let ‘em walk (or maybe franchise tag em for a 5th or 6th year).

The game has moved on, and RBs are a victim of that. No need to pay one a lot.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I think Renfrow will regress to the mean and I don't think anyone is going to pay him huge money.

that's why you trade him before his stock plummets. Teams are looking for the next Cooper Kupp, so the time is now for a move. It's a copy cat league 

Edited by Humble_Beast

Just now, Humble_Beast said:

that's why you trade him before his stock plummets. Teams are looking for the next Cooper Kupp, so the time is now for a move. It's a copy cat league 

Yes let's trade Renfrow right now and tank our season... your boy Adams will literally face double teams all season without Renfrow. 

2 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

No one thinks Renfrow is the next Cooper Kupp, lol.

3 minutes ago, ET80 said:

To be honest - RBs are only valuable on a rookie contract.

They don't seem to understand this. I'll make a rare exception for Henry and Chubb, but overall, keeping RB's beyond their 5 year Rookie Contract is way more often than not, a bad business decision. You can use that money on much more important positions, and find a RB in the 2nd or 3rd Round. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

If you like Jacobs, I get it - but it seems as if he’s replaceable in a lot of ways.

I like Jacobs but  I think hes definitely replaceable. Also we currently don’t have a pick until the 3rd round in the draft this year and a coaching that has previously used an RB committee approach. I would consider trading Jacobs this year to get a draft pick that you could package to move up. We would also save $2m in cap space which we are particularly short of atm. 

On the other hand @NYRaiderthinks it would be a good idea to pick up Jacobs 5th year option which is $8m then try to trade him next year. 

3 minutes ago, Dessie said:

I like Jacobs but  I think hes definitely replaceable. Also we currently don’t have a pick until the 3rd round in the draft this year and a coaching that has previously used an RB committee approach. I would consider trading Jacobs this year to get a draft pick that you could package to move up. We would also save $2m in cap space which we are particularly short of atm. 

On the other hand @NYRaiderthinks it would be a good idea to pick up Jacobs 5th year option which is $8m then try to trade him next year. 

You'd trade someone that has consistently been a top 10 RB and hope you can find a rookie mid round pick to replace his production? I think we should pick up his 5th year option and then draft a RB in round 2/3 next season, then let Jacobs walk like the Broncos just did with Melvin Gordon/Javonte Williams.

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I need $230mm gtd to waive my NTC…

I would even pick up the 5th year - it’s cheap labor, all things considered. I’d double down on that by drafting his replacement that 5th year, so that the first year could be Jacobs taking the brunt of the work and abuse, while said rook would get touches while learning some nuances to the position - how blocking assignments work up front, how to provide pass protection in the pocket (one of the most underrated aspects of any RB, how much pass block support provided) and how to get into a routine where they can get the needed rest and recovery to perform.

To be honest - RBs are only valuable on a rookie contract. If they’re good on that contract, run em into the ground and let ‘em walk (or maybe franchise tag em for a 5th or 6th year).

The game has moved on, and RBs are a victim of that. No need to pay one a lot.

I just prefer not to create more holes than we need too but apparently we should move Renfrow and Jacobs for mid round picks so we can have more cap next season, hopefully. That's what good teams usually do, right?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

They don't seem to understand this. I'll make a rare exception for Henry and Chubb, but overall, keeping RB's beyond their 5 year Rookie Contract is way more often than not, a bad business decision. You can use that money on much more important positions, and find a RB in the 2nd or 3rd Round. 

Yes and regardless of if we pick up his option or not, there's no reason to trade him with a $3.7M cap hit.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You'd trade someone that has consistently been a top 10 RB and hope you can find a rookie mid round pick to replace his production? I think we should pick up his 5th year option and then draft a RB in round 2/3 next season, then let Jacobs walk like the Broncos just did with Melvin Gordon/Javonte Williams.

I think we need to get cheaper at RB and if we can pick up a mid round (or better) draft pick this year then I would definitely consider it.

You think we should pick up someone’s option and then look to trade him with a cap hit of $8m which makes no sense at all. 

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

I think we need to get cheaper at RB and if we can pick up a mid round (or better) draft pick this year then I would definitely consider it.

You think we should pick up someone’s option and then look to trade him with a cap hit of $8m which makes no sense at all. 

I don't think we should trade Jacobs, I think we should pick up his 5th year option and ride him until the wheels fall off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah I'd rather just pay him this year, decline his option, then let him walk for the comp pick then trade him and have a huge hole at RB going into the season.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think we should trade Jacobs, I think we should pick up his 5th year option and ride him until the wheels fall off. 

Lol changed your mind within an hour. 

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Lol changed your mind within an hour. 

My preference has always been to pick up his 5th year option. Reading comprehension is important I said I'd rather decline it and lose him for just the comp pick then trade him now.

For me:

1) Pick up his 5th year option, draft a RB next year

2) Decline his 5th year option, let him ride this season out and figure it out next offseason

3) Trade him now

33 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

If his stock plummets this year wouldn't we be able to extend him at a more affordable rate? People need to stop looking at the Kirk contract and think that's going to be the norm going forward. Kirk can play outside, was a former 2nd round pick, and actually provides a speed element, plus it was a terrible contract.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If his stock plummets this year wouldn't we be able to extend him at a more affordable rate? People need to stop looking at the Kirk contract and think that's going to be the norm going forward. Kirk can play outside, was a former 2nd round pick, and actually provides a speed element, plus it was a terrible contract.

But all indications say he'll do better this year. 

Slot heavy offense check

True #1 outside check

Young and still improving check