2022 Draft Talk

swede700

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m not opposed to taking a WR at 12, but I’d take Olave over Williams. Even with Williams being 100% healthy. 

I can't get there with Olave. He is too linear for me and his YAC ability (lack of) is not my cup of tea. He's more of a complimentary piece as opposed to a WR that can be that Alpha.

But I can understand why people like him.

4 hours ago, viking said:

I'd be happy if we took Williams at 12. If he didn't tear his ACL he would be regarded as the WR1 in the class and a lock to be a top 10 pick IMO.

Agreed, his ability to take the top off a defense is rare, much less his speed which I assume when healthy is in the 4.3 range.  Is a legit kick returner as well, easily was the best WR last season no question about it and would be the #1 WR in the draft if he did not get hurt.  

Would be nice to have a legit deep threat like that and well worth the gamble.  But if a corner drops the Vikings have to take him since they totally have not addressed that at all in free agency really outside of Sullivan who is barely a starting level CB.

Also might be hard passing on Jordan Davis who could really help that defense light up.  

• Like 2

I'm really excited to see how KAM approaches the draft. In the Spielman era we know how he liked to trade back and accumulate picks I wonder if KAM is the same or is a "get their guys" kind of drafter.

KOC has come from a Rams team that based their team around superstars, could we see KAM and KOC trade up to get superstars rather than stocking the roster on budget players?

If we go corner/WR at 12 I'd have no problem with KAM trading back into the first round to pick up one of the stud pass rushers in this stacked edge class.

Imagine this (done using PFF mock draft sim)

1.12 Trent Mcduffie

1.29 David Ojabo (Traded 2nd & 3rd round picks with the Chiefs)

Ojabo had the potential to be a top 10 pick pre injury and could be eased back in as the 3rd or 4th rusher and we would be set at edge rusher beyond just 2022 

57 minutes ago, viking said:

KOC has come from a Rams team that based their team around superstars, could we see KAM and KOC trade up to get superstars rather than stocking the roster on budget players?

Just because KOC came from the Rams organization (and had no control over the roster makeup which was already on that path long before he got there) doesn't mean anything.  KAM spent most of his career in the 49ers organization, which didn't do that.  So, the answer to your question is "not likely."

Let's talk non first round CBs.

Who are you favorite targets in RD2 and RD3?

I think we all would like a CB round 1, but if the player and value don't meet, I don't see Kwesi reaching. I also think in Donatells scheme, they are valuing length and intelligence on the boundary (athleticism has benchmarks and thresholds, but crazy athleticism isn't required).

I think they have stuffed the cupboard enough for slot corners (Sullivan, Hairston and Hand are probably all better there), so it does seem they need a couple more boundary guys.

RD2

Andrew Booth (would be my dream if he dropped due to his hernia surgery)

Daxton HIll (I'd move him to corner, has boundary traits)

Kaiir Elam

Kyler Gordon

Tariq Woolen

RD3

Alontae Taylor

Martin Emerson

Zyon McCollum

Kalon Barnes

Coby Bryant

Am I missing anyone that anyone else likes in rounds 2/3 that could project to a boundary nfl cb?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

Just because KOC came from the Rams organization (and had no control over the roster makeup which was already on that path long before he got there) doesn't mean anything.  KAM spent most of his career in the 49ers organization, which didn't do that.  So, the answer to your question is "not likely."

Why would a HC who just won a SB with a roster built around superstars want to build his new team around superstars? hmmm 

It's KAMs job to give KOC the players he needs to win a ring

19 minutes ago, viking said:

Why would a HC who just won a SB with a roster built around superstars want to build his new team around superstars? hmmm 

Because predominately it's been teams that won championships with a great majority of players they drafted and developed. 

The Rams almost had to do that to get any traction in their own market, because a lot of people in that region didn't give a lick about the Rams since they weren't around (or old enough) to witness Eric Dickerson running around Anaheim Stadium.  

It's just simply not a sound way to sustain any success for any significant amount of time.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, viking said:

It's KOC's job to win with the player's KAM gives him.

Again, the team has stressed a collaborative approach. Kwesi comes from an analytics/moneyball type of background. Even if KOC wants to trade away all the draft picks for veterans, if Kwesi doesn't want to do that, they won't. They'd likely use a hybrid approace IF that is what KOC wants.

If trading away draft picks for players was going to be their strategy, we almost certainly would have seen some of that by now. 

Edited by wcblack34

Just now, wcblack34 said:

It's KOC's job to win with the player's KAM gives him.

Again, the team has stressed a collaborative approach. Kwesi comes from an analytics/moneyball type of background. Even if KOC wants to trade away all the draft picks for veterans, if Kwesi doesn't want to do that, they won't. They'd likely use a hybrid approace IF that is what KOC wants.

If trading away draft picks for players was going to be their strategy, we almost certainly would have seen some of that by now. 

My post earlier was about trading up in the draft to get players with a higher chance of being superstars - not trading picks for players.

4 minutes ago, viking said:

My post earlier was about trading up in the draft to get players with a higher chance of being superstars - not trading picks for players.

But the Rams weren't built by trading up in the draft for superstars.

Frankly, the homegrown superstars they did draft weren't the result of trade ups. Kupp was in the 2nd round. Donald was drafted at #12. They traded up for Jared Goff. That didn't exactly turn out well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

Unless there is a difference maker on D.... I'd like to trade down and get another second or third. Ideally, second. This team needs some young, cheap, players, imo. I have to trust they hired the right guy to draft well.....

That would mean trading down to around spot 20, right?  Perhaps Pittsburgh trades up for a falling QB?