2022 Draft Talk

swede700

28 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Cooper Kupp, Metcalf, Diggs, Kirk, Adams. None of them were first round picks. In the last five years, with the proliferation of wide receivers coming into the draft, there is no reason to waste a high first round pick on the wide receiver. Elite talent at the position can be found elsewhere. The argument that wide receiver contracts necessitate taking one earlier would also work for edge rushers. But I don’t believe that you should be drafting based on potential 2nd contracts.

The list of good to great WRs drafted outside of the first round is very lopsided compared to those drafted in the 1st. 

So, while I can understand drafting a WR in round one, I’m not sure it’s the most efficient use of a first round pick. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I can’t. I just don’t see it. 

Me neither. But Doogie named dropped Garrett Wilson and Drake London and just like with McDuffie, I need to be ok with it prior to it happening so I don't break my tv.

So I need to be sold lol

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Me neither. But Doogie named dropped Garrett Wilson and Drake London and just like with McDuffie, I need to be ok with it prior to it happening so I don't break my tv.

So I need to be sold lol

I wouldn’t read too much into any name that’s talked about in April. 

Junior excelled at the Senior Bowl all-star game. Now, he has nine total visits and private workouts. That includes visits or workouts with the Minnesota Vikings, Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, and Miami Dolphins, according to a league source.

After a strong performance at the Senior Bowl, where he shined in press coverage against players from Power Five schools, Junior drew increased interest from NFL scouts.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:34 AM, battle2heaven said:

So I need to be sold lol

Drake London had crazy numbers this year in only 8 games, then got hurt, the dude had 88 catches and over 1000 yards and 7 TDs in 8 games.  He was on a pretty bad USC team but was a super star and has been the past few years.  His YAC ability is crazy impressive, he is a huge target with great hands, physically is hard to bring down and is more nimble and agile than Treylon Burks.  With a good 40 time and workout he could easily be picked in the top 20 picks in the draft and if the Vikings got him he would be an absolute change of pace from what they currently have and give them a big body they do not really have.  

I would not hate getting him because if they got Garrett Wilson he is just probably a lesser version of Jefferson who we already have, maybe more deep threat speed but if we wanted a pure deep threat one would get Jameson Williams and I would not hate that move either.  Olave also could be a deep threat and that is something we need but again he is more similar to what we already have, or a big receiver who can go up and get the ball in traffic and we do not have so either that or a deep threat I would not hate if all the CBs are gone and Jordan Davis is gone.   

• Like 1

PFF Mock Draft:

Round 1. Derek Stingley Jr. - Best CB in the draft in my opinion. Sauce Gardner is great too but Stingley’s ball skills and ability to mirror routes is incredible. 

Round 2. Perrion Winfrey - Quick and powerful DT who can play 5Tech in a 3-4. I can see him being a starter as soon as this year. 

Round 3. Cole Strange - Has C/G flexibility and can be insurance in case Bradbury plays like Bradbury again.

Round 5. Derrick Deese Jr. - Might be the best blocking TE in the class and he has good hands as well. Used to be a WR but his great blocking skills make him an obvious TE. I think he’ll take over as TE2, especially on running plays. 

Round 6. Dominique Robinson - High upside player, with great potential as an edge rusher. Tested well at the combine.

Round 6. Reggie Roberson - I remember him smoking Jeff Gladney in college but he’s had an ACL injury that has hurt his draft stock. He should be fully recovered and can get back to full speed this year. Can battle for that 5th WR spot. 

Round 6. Max Borghi - Great at catching the ball out of the backfield. Might not be the best runner in between tackles but I think he’s made to run in a zone heavy scheme that can get him to the outside. He’ll likely be RB4 but this might be Mattison’s last year on the team so it’ll be nice to have extra depth there, especially with Dalvin’s injury history. 

Round 7. Esezi Otomewo - High upside player who might go higher but you never know. His production wasn’t great but his athletic ability and size is intriguing. 

Edited by Purplepride323

1 hour ago, Purplepride323 said:

PFF Mock Draft:

Round 1. Derek Stingley Jr. - Best CB in the draft in my opinion. Sauce Gardner is great too but Stingley’s ball skills and ability to mirror routes is incredible. 

Round 2. Perrion Winfrey - Quick and powerful DT who can play 5Tech in a 3-4. I can see him being a starter as soon as this year. 

Round 3. Cole Strange - Has C/G flexibility and can be insurance in case Bradbury plays like Bradbury again.

Round 5. Derrick Deese Jr. - Might be the best blocking TE in the class and he has good hands as well. Used to be a WR but his great blocking skills make him an obvious TE. I think he’ll take over as TE2, especially on running plays. 

Round 6. Dominique Robinson - High upside player, with great potential as an edge rusher. Tested well at the combine.

Round 6. Reggie Roberson - I remember him smoking Jeff Gladney in college but he’s had an ACL injury that has hurt his draft stock. He should be fully recovered and can get back to full speed this year. Can battle for that 5th WR spot. 

Round 6. Max Borghi - Great at catching the ball out of the backfield. Might not be the best runner in between tackles but I think he’s made to run in a zone heavy scheme that can get him to the outside. He’ll likely be RB4 but this might be Mattison’s last year on the team so it’ll be nice to have extra depth there, especially with Dalvin’s injury history. 

Round 7. Esezi Otomewo - High upside player who might go higher but you never know. His production wasn’t great but his athletic ability and size is intriguing. 

Not a bad draft, not sure Winfrey is a fit in a 3/4, possibly but I think he would be far better in a 4/3 as a DT.  Would be a decent pickup though in terms of position need but again not sure he fits and he is not great against the run.  Cole Strange is ok but I like a few centers better than him in the draft honestly, but it is a need position however if they like Schlottmann a lot there is no need for another center potentially.  Connor Heyward is the best blocking TE in the draft not Deese, Deese I like in terms of his massive size and I would love if the Vikings took him, but it is a weak TE blocking group and saying he is the best is not the case in my view.

Dominique Robinson is a good athlete and a decent pickup that late, fits the profile.  In terms of Roberson I think there could be better WRs than him around at that point.  I love Borghi at RB and agreed his pass catching could be awesome as a 3rd down back and he has a ton of toughness to him as well, he would be a great late round pickup.  

Esezi I love as well but I have him going 6th round but he would be a great fit in a 3/4 DE spot because the dude is  massive and has shown a lot of upside for the position and would be a great late round pickup.  Stingley Jr of course would be great if he was still there and no way they would pass on him if he is around.  

I have the Vikings getting a safety late round and getting two corners which could be a need as well considering.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not a bad draft, not sure Winfrey is a fit in a 3/4, possibly but I think he would be far better in a 4/3 as a DT.  Would be a decent pickup though in terms of position need but again not sure he fits and he is not great against the run. 

I have the Vikings getting a safety late round and getting two corners which could be a need as well considering.

I like Winfrey’s game a lot and if we do get him I see him contributing early in the season at the 5Tech role, basically what Aaron Donald plays in a 3-4. Right now we have Jaylen Twyman pencilled in as the starter at that position and I’m not comfortable with that. Armon Watts and James Lynch might be good candidates to start but I think Winfrey would be better than those guys. His strength and explosiveness, along with his size and violent hands, is the reason why I’d think he’d be successful right away. If our D-Line consists of Tomlinson- Phillips- Winfrey I think we’ll be good. 

Also depth at Safety is a need and I usually take a Safety in the mock draft but I was thinking the other day that veteran depth might be the way to go since we already have Bynum, Metellus and Dorn who are all young. Cam Bynum will most likely be the starter but if we can get a veteran on a league minimum deal, that can fill in on the spot if needed, I’d take that over another rookie Safety. I’m sure Harrison Smith doesn’t want to deal with another rookie safety as well. 

Edited by Purplepride323

31 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

I like Winfrey’s game a lot and if we do get him I see him contributing early in the season at the 5Tech role, basically what Aaron Donald plays in a 3-4. Right now we have Jaylen Twyman pencilled in as the starter at that position and I’m not comfortable with that. Armon Watts and James Lynch might be good candidates to start but I think Winfrey would be better than those guys. His strength and explosiveness, along with his size and violent hands, is the reason why I’d think he’d be successful right away. If our D-Line consists of Tomlinson- Phillips- Winfrey I think we’ll be good. 

Also depth at Safety is a need and I usually take a Safety in the mock draft but I was thinking the other day that veteran depth might be the way to go since we already have Bynum, Metellus and Dorn who are all young. Cam Bynum will most likely be the starter but if we can get a veteran on a league minimum deal, that can fill in on the spot if needed, I’d take that over another rookie Safety. I’m sure Harrison Smith doesn’t want to deal with another rookie safety as well. 

Twyman not penciled in as a starter anywhere lol. Where did you come up with that? 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Not a bad draft, not sure Winfrey is a fit in a 3/4, possibly but I think he would be far better in a 4/3 as a DT.  Would be a decent pickup though in terms of position need but again not sure he fits and he is not great against the run.  Cole Strange is ok but I like a few centers better than him in the draft honestly, but it is a need position however if they like Schlottmann a lot there is no need for another center potentially.  Connor Heyward is the best blocking TE in the draft not Deese, Deese I like in terms of his massive size and I would love if the Vikings took him, but it is a weak TE blocking group and saying he is the best is not the case in my view.

He played in a 3-4 in college...

27 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Twyman not penciled in as a starter anywhere lol. Where did you come up with that? 

ESPN.com has him as the starter on the depth chart but sure that does not mean much.  

24 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He played in a 3-4 in college...

Nah, they were multiple sure but the edge guys were Isaiah Thomas, Bonitto and Grimes, sure Bonitto was brought a lot but they moved guys around and not sure I would call that a natural 3/4 D.  Winfrey played in a 4/3 at the senior bowl and did great and sure he could succeed in a 3/4 but not against the run and would be a pass rusher, however for that to work the OLB opposite him would have to be physical at the point of attack and be able to hold the edge and allow him to penetrate.  

DE Isaiah Thomas
DT Jalen Redmond
DT Perrion Winfrey
DE Nic Bonitto / Reggie Grimes

OLB DaShaun White
ILB Brian Asamoah
OLB David Ugwoegbu

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Nah, they were multiple sure but the edge guys were Isaiah Thomas, Bonitto and Grimes, sure Bonitto was brought a lot but they moved guys around and not sure I would call that a natural 3/4 D.  Winfrey played in a 4/3 at the senior bowl and did great and sure he could succeed in a 3/4 but not against the run and would be a pass rusher, however for that to work the OLB opposite him would have to be physical at the point of attack and be able to hold the edge and allow him to penetrate.  

If we're getting into technicalties, I'd argue they're more a 3-3-5 defense.  I would agree that he's a natural 43 IDL, but I think the notion that he can't play in a 3-4 defense to be crazy.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

If we're getting into technicalties, I'd argue they're more a 3-3-5 defense.  I would agree that he's a natural 43 IDL, but I think the notion that he can't play in a 3-4 defense to be crazy.

Sure it is possibly more a 3-3-5.  I still think for the Vikings they have decent DEs potentially, and if one is going to get a 3/4 DE why not go for Eyioma Uwazurike who is stronger against the run and bigger and could also play NT if asked potentially.  Or DeMarvin Leal who could be around potentially in that 2nd round range if he drops a bit, but sure Winfrey could be really interesting with his pass rushing ability but is still some what unproven as a player over a long period of time.