2021 ROT

DreamKid

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I was referencing the guess he did give, which was a Week 5 return.

Yeah, and that number isnt really a guess - it what the evidence says is likely to happen.  Bateman had surgery on August 13.  The week 5 game is 58 days after that date and that just happens the exact number of days it takes on average to return from that surgery as quoted in the study.

11 hours ago, DreamKid said:

This is great info. Can’t say I disagree with this assessment. Prior to the season I expect Mekari to be our best solution at RT and while the sample size is too small between last season and this game, I am encouraged that he can continue to improve and rely less on the additional blocking assistance as the season goes on.

6 hours ago, drd23 said:

Yeah, and that number isnt really a guess - it what the evidence says is likely to happen.  Bateman had surgery on August 13.  The week 5 game is 58 days after that date and that just happens the exact number of days it takes on average to return from that surgery as quoted in the study.

That's fine, but what the evidence says is likely to happen- doesn't always happen. That's why anyone reading the tweet shouldn't set their hearts to a Week 5 return. Which is my point. Just because an expert says it, even having based their conclusion off historic data, it doesn't mean that's what will be the actual result in the end. Some fans have a habit of putting too much into estimates like this, and then lose it if reality deviates from their expectations. 

12 hours ago, DreamKid said:

That's fine, but what the evidence says is likely to happen- doesn't always happen. That's why anyone reading the tweet shouldn't set their hearts to a Week 5 return. Which is my point. Just because an expert says it, even having based their conclusion off historic data, it doesn't mean that's what will be the actual result in the end. Some fans have a habit of putting too much into estimates like this, and then lose it if reality deviates from their expectations. 

That a reasonable position to take.  Your initial post kinda read like you were just clowning on "twitter experts" when paired with the comment about Dobbins, hence why I referenced the difference between guessing what an injury is based off video vs stating average post-surgery recovery time.  If that wasn't what you intended, my bad for reading too much into it

Being a Boykin truther in 2021 is a little odd. He's definitely not as bad as our WR4s, WR5s, etc of the Flacco era, but if you're looking to him as a boost to anything but perimeter blocking... IDK what to tell you. As @wackywabbit pointed out, Watkins has demonstrated in limited time with Lamar what we should truly expect of our secondary pass catching options if we want a consistently functional offense and I don't think Boykin fits the bill(At least he hasn't to this point). There's a reason we drafted Rashod Bateman and a reason we signed Sammy Watkins, none of which is because we wanted to make Boykin a bigger part of the offense. Happy to have him healthy, but I'm not expecting much in the way of contribution. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I finally unfollowed Spencer last week. Couldn't take him anymore.

I will say that I am looking forward to Boykin and Boyle both returning for their blocking abilities tho.

Honestly it makes me nervous. I think our offense has the potential to get worse. I like how often we’ve relied on the 11 personnel and how explosive it’s made our offense- when our WRs can actually catch the football. We’ve had plenty of chunk play opportunities. And I’m not particularly looking forward to the possibility that Roman will go back to that dreaded 22 personnel looks that clog things up for Lamar (leaving him at higher risk) and present him with less capable receiving options.

But maybe that’s just me.

If these numbers are anywhere close to accurate, or truly reflective of on field impact, how are we supposed to square Mekari dropping an abortion of a preseason at Tackle- but then at a minimum holding his own now playing against starters? That's just flat out weird. 

Pass Pro has been his main strength since he rocketed up from injured UDFA to late season starter status as a Rookie, and in college he graded out well as a pass protector, but he's a pretty bad athlete- with alligator arms(31 5/8)..... so any sort of emergence at Tackle will come as a major surprise and with him as a Super Saiyan level outlier.

Really happy to see it if he holds. He's been one of the few IOL guys we've been able to build some hype off of after his surprising rise as a UDFA and with his youth(Still only 24 Y/O). A long way off from anything being cemented though. KC and Det don't exactly bear stiff competition for a RT and he'll have his work cut out for him this season against other foes. 

Both he and Bozeman are players to watch on the OL this year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DreamKid said:

If these numbers are anywhere close to accurate, or truly reflective of on field impact, how are we supposed to square Mekari dropping an abortion of a preseason at Tackle- but then at a minimum holding his own now playing against starters? That's just flat out weird. 

Pass Pro has been his main strength since he rocketed up from injured UDFA to late season starter status as a Rookie, and in college he graded out well as a pass protector, but he's a pretty bad athlete- with alligator arms(31 5/8)..... so any sort of emergence at Tackle will come as a major surprise and with him as a Super Saiyan level outlier.

Really happy to see it if he holds. He's been one of the few IOL guys we've been able to build some hype off of after his surprising rise as a UDFA and with his youth(Still only 24 Y/O). A long way off from anything being cemented though. KC and Det don't exactly bear stiff competition for a RT and he'll have his work cut out for him this season against other foes. 

A step up to Von this week should provide a bit more clarity.

8 hours ago, DreamKid said:

I think this should be moved to the offense thread though by a mod.

Though I definitely agree about what we’re seeing from Mekari at RT is intriguing. That and Bozeman at center has looked very good. I’ll be interested in seeing how he looks once we see a legit IDL threat.

5 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I think this should be moved to the offense thread though by a mod.

Did I not post this in ROT last night 😅, my fault.

Will be interesting to review Mekari's performance against Miller. Off first glance, it was about what you'd expect but a deeper review will show how much of a fight he put up at least.

• Like 1