2021 RDT

DreamKid

24 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

To my eye, this could be the worst Ravens defense I've seen since 1996 (32 in DVOA). 

What's dumb about it is we really don't need this super-aggressive, high-variance approach. We have a good offense. We have good defensive players. Just run a scheme that limits big plays and try to hold them to FGs in the red zone. 

I think Wink needs to be on the hot seat. I just haven't seen enough flexibility from him. He's just a bully who easily gets manipulated by others teams if they have a smart QB/coach.  

The defense lost us this game, lost us the Las Vegas game, and should have lost us the KC and Indy games where they were absolutely gashed. They also allowed TD, TD, FG to end the Lions and put us in a position to almost lose. Yes they've had 2 good games but one half of one was Drew Lock. 

No defensive coordinator can overcome how bad our tackling is. Our 100M corner can't cover a freaking TE right now. Not really sure what Wink is supposed to do. W

Edited by M.10.E

7 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

No defensive coordinator can overcome how bad our tackling is. Our 100M corner can't cover a freaking TE right now. Not really sure what Wink is supposed to do. W

If the tackling is bad, maybe don't call so many big blitzes. He's leaving a lot of defenders on an island where 1 missed tackle will result in huge gain. 

59 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

To my eye, this could be the worst Ravens defense I've seen since 1996 (32 in DVOA). 

What's dumb about it is we really don't need this super-aggressive, high-variance approach. We have a good offense. We have good defensive players. Just run a scheme that limits big plays and try to hold them to FGs in the red zone. 

I think Wink needs to be on the hot seat. I just haven't seen enough flexibility from him. He's just a bully who easily gets manipulated by others teams if they have a smart QB/coach.  

The defense lost us this game, lost us the Las Vegas game, and should have lost us the KC and Indy games where they were absolutely gashed. They also allowed TD, TD, FG to end the Lions and put us in a position to almost lose. Yes they've had 2 good games but one half of one was Drew Lock. 

I think hot seat if they continue to look this bad throughout this season. Use the off-season to invest in defenders and if he still looks like trash, he’s got to go.

35 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Bad tackling doesn’t develop in a vacuum. We had a full training camp. Guys who were great tacklers have regressed. The pass defense is horrid. The run defense isn’t special either.

But the tackling is something that’s at least partly the fault of the DC, especially if it’s the entire defense. Other defenses aren’t missing tackles to the same degree as ours, so there’s clearly something that they are working on that we aren’t or we’re working on that they don’t.

So the tackling too falls on Wink. Perhaps he’s coached guys to go for the strip and that’s leading to missed tackles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Just stopping by this thread to say what a massive disappointment both Tyus Bowser and Justin Madbuike have been this season.

Can’t be disappointed by Bowser if I never had any expectations for him to begin with. He’s always been just a guy.  I still struggle with the fact that a large portion of our fan based hated Matt Judon but somehow thought Tyus Bowser signing was this huge bargain but we don’t have to get into that…

Madabuike I can agree with though, I thought he would be like a souped up Timmy Jernigan 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

16 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Can’t be disappointed by Bowser if I never had any expectations for him to begin with. He’s always been just a guy.  I still struggle with the fact that a large portion of our fan based hated Matt Judon but somehow thought Tyus Bowser signing was this huge bargain but we don’t have to get into that…

Madabuike I can agree with though, I thought he would be like a souped up Timmy Jernigan 

I feel bad I fell victim to the Bowser hype. Never got over that DPOW award, then he was shelved forever so I thought he had potential. Nope. It was just a lucky week for him.

JMads though is probably the most overhyped "this is his breakout year!" Raven I've seen in a while. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Tavon still that dude at SCB.

Yea, he's been playing quite well. Will be interesting if they are now open / able to convert him to a team friendly extension. There's no way, I don't think at least, that he will be in Baltimore on his current 2022 number.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Ravens defense is ranked 28th in DVOA. 

If it holds it would be the worst defensive ranking since 1996, when it was 30th. 

And really, our only significant injury here was Marcus Peters. We just didn't have a pass rush this year aside from blitzing and when we blitzed we got torched. We also had constant communication issues in the secondary all year long.

Either way, seems like Wink's defense is quickly becoming obsolete.

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And really, our only significant injury here was Marcus Peters. We just didn't have a pass rush this year aside from blitzing and when we blitzed we got torched. We also had constant communication issues in the secondary all year long.

I think you have to include Derek Wolfe as well. Even though he was considered  a starter, going into the year he was considered maybe our 4th best DL. 

Elliot was injured in week 9, and Humphrey was injured in week 13. Our defense was pretty bad even when they were playing playing.

Campbell and B-Will have been banged up at times as well, but have played most games.

My overall assessment is that the injuries did hurt the D's performance, but it should not have impacted us so much to go from 9th to 28th best defense (DVOA).  

14 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can't cosign this. The LJ Fort loss started all of the issues at ILB, Derek Wolfe is a great run defender and valuable part of our rotation, Deshon Elliot going down meant totally inexperienced players like Brandon Stephens got thrown to the flames, and then you have all the craziness at CB. 

You also have the lingering injuries that limited guys like Calais Campbell.

Wink's defense is built around a strong DB core(mostly at CB) propping up the rest of the defense, success often flows through them(this isn't so different from the standard for every NFL club either- CB is King). So an injury at CB is much like a big domino falling on the rest of our defense. 

Tackling becoming a major issue is also a key point here. That has nothing to do with scheme and wasn't something we saw in previous seasons nor expected. 

Another oddity is a guy like Marlon Humphrey having a down year before his injury. He was still good overall, but wasn't Great/Elite as he had been and his bad moments hurt us.

In summary, I think a bunch of weird things came together to create a lot of devastation. At a time where the offense was suffering as well. Which gets you what we saw this year in terms of performance. None of this means Wink should totally escape criticism though. The issues with our tackling, specific weaknesses like defending screens and some of the coverage lapses... I think he could have done a better job at addressing.