2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

Caleb Williams is the first one to pass on medical exams!   Interesting.

I guess he will cross Jets off because he may rather to play in year 1 and he isn't going to sit Aaron Rodgers so it is pointless to take a medical exam as a part of predraft visit for Jets.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the Bears are crazy to start over at QB again. It did not work for us (Darnold, then Wilson) and it won't work for them. It barely worked for Arizona (Rosen to Kyler, and that was a no-brainer). Teams seem to be blind when it comes to the QB position. They want Mahomes or Stroud, and they don't care how many swings and misses they take. 

If teams are offering me a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Fields, but are offering me a package of five picks for my No. 1 overall, the choice for me is easy: take the haul and build around Fields. 

ESPECIALLY when there is no real consensus about who the top QB in this draft is. Caleb Williams is not Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow. You could argue that Daniels is the better pro prospect. You could argue for a couple of other guys. Last year, it was a two-horse race and Carolina chose the wrong horse. In years with multiple guys as the potential top pick, it usually goes all over the place. You can draft Fields, who is a serviceable and solid NFL starting quarterback with UPSIDE, or you can draft Zach Wilson (one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of this league). 

Hell, if all it takes is a third for Fields we should make that move. 

54 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I may be wrong about this, but I think the Bears are crazy to start over at QB again. It did not work for us (Darnold, then Wilson) and it won't work for them. It barely worked for Arizona (Rosen to Kyler, and that was a no-brainer). Teams seem to be blind when it comes to the QB position. They want Mahomes or Stroud, and they don't care how many swings and misses they take. 

If teams are offering me a 2nd or 3rd rounder for Fields, but are offering me a package of five picks for my No. 1 overall, the choice for me is easy: take the haul and build around Fields. 

ESPECIALLY when there is no real consensus about who the top QB in this draft is. Caleb Williams is not Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow. You could argue that Daniels is the better pro prospect. You could argue for a couple of other guys. Last year, it was a two-horse race and Carolina chose the wrong horse. In years with multiple guys as the potential top pick, it usually goes all over the place. You can draft Fields, who is a serviceable and solid NFL starting quarterback with UPSIDE, or you can draft Zach Wilson (one of the worst quarterbacks in the history of this league). 

Hell, if all it takes is a third for Fields we should make that move. 

The Bears trading fields is crazy to me but if they're dumb enough to do it, I would love it. I don't think we'll be able to out bid the Falcons in this one. The good news is that if the Falcons get him and don't move their 1st pick, that eliminates another team a head of us who would draft a QB if we're looking. 

Hallmark should reserve a spot for Sam Hartman.💕 lol

I know Joe Douglas said that Alijah Vera-Tucker will stay one position this year but you never know.  I think I find one way to keep him at one spot and it is Tanor Bortolini out of Wisconsin.  He is able to play well at all spots except LT, I think.

Amarius Mims pulled something.  Stay Away from him, heh.

Taliese Fuaga had tested and apparently to be a full package.  He has been outstanding everything from interviews to field drills.  It is going to be hard to ignore him at 10 despite of him being mainly RT.

Jets are said to have a day 3 plan to back up Aaron Rodgers.  Unfortunately, I don't think either Michael Pratt or Spencer Rattler will be available on day 3.  If so, I can see Jets trade up and get one.

That leaves Austin Reed, Devin Leary and Kedon Slovis to be considered as a viable back up qb without any TC audition at the moment. I hesitate to add Carter Bradley, Joe Milton and Sam Hartman due to varying reasons.

Austin Reed has a plenty of starting experience but he grew up in a friendly Air Raid offense and he had struggled to perform in pro style game as a first debut last month. With pro coaching, I don't know how much will he pick up for 2024 but as long as Aaron Rodgers stays healthy, we don't need to worry.  ha!

Devin Leary has game moxie and just learned Liam Coen's offense last year for Kentucky which happened to be part of Shanahan/McVay system.  Injury concern is legit as he keeps missing important games throughout his college life.  He needs to learn how to throw football properly so offense can be in fluidity.

Kedon Slovis has everything you are looking for as physical tools but oh boy, he has no idea how to play football right.  If you have no problem with Jets taking Milton on day 2 then I will settle with Slovis in 7th round.

I don't know anyone else. Someone can surprise us. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Jets are said to have a day 3 plan to back up Aaron Rodgers.  Unfortunately, I don't think either Michael Pratt or Spencer Rattler will be available on day 3.  If so, I can see Jets trade up and get one.

That leaves Austin Reed, Devin Leary and Kedon Slovis to be considered as a viable back up qb without any TC audition at the moment. I hesitate to add Carter Bradley, Joe Milton and Sam Hartman due to varying reasons.

Austin Reed has a plenty of starting experience but he grew up in a friendly Air Raid offense and he had struggled to perform in pro style game as a first debut last month. With pro coaching, I don't know how much will he pick up for 2024 but as long as Aaron Rodgers stays healthy, we don't need to worry.  ha!

Devin Leary has game moxie and just learned Liam Coen's offense last year for Kentucky which happened to be part of Shanahan/McVay system.  Injury concern is legit as he keeps missing important games throughout his college life.  He needs to learn how to throw football properly so offense can be in fluidity.

Kedon Slovis has everything you are looking for as physical tools but oh boy, he has no idea how to play football right.  If you have no problem with Jets taking Milton on day 2 then I will settle with Slovis in 7th round.

I don't know anyone else. Someone can surprise us. 

Jordan Travis maybe?

• Like 1

Just because this Fuaga guy had a great combine does not mean we should be considering him over the other guys. If he is mainly a right tackle, no thanks. For me, the No. 10 pick should be a left tackle. Whether he is ready for Week 1 is irrelevant. Hopefully, we can get someone in free agency to make the point moot. 

As far as the day 3 quarterback is concerned, the plan better not be to draft the No. 2 QB on day 3. That would be a terrible plan! Woody wants a backup quarterback. They better sign one before the draft. If Douglas does not, then that is yet another epic fail on his resume. And there are already way too many.

46 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

Just because this Fuaga guy had a great combine does not mean we should be considering him over the other guys. If he is mainly a right tackle, no thanks. For me, the No. 10 pick should be a left tackle. Whether he is ready for Week 1 is irrelevant. Hopefully, we can get someone in free agency to make the point moot. 

As far as the day 3 quarterback is concerned, the plan better not be to draft the No. 2 QB on day 3. That would be a terrible plan! Woody wants a backup quarterback. They better sign one before the draft. If Douglas does not, then that is yet another epic fail on his resume. And there are already way too many.

Fuaga has aced all the way during scouting months.  His combine performance just closed his phenomenal scouting chapter.  He is nearly NFL ready. 

That is why it is best for Jets to sign veteran LT.

20 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Fuaga has aced all the way during scouting months.  His combine performance just closed his phenomenal scouting chapter.  He is nearly NFL ready. 

That is why it is best for Jets to sign veteran LT.

So, you're saying we sign a veteran LT, draft Fuaga for RT and hope Carter Warren can become our future LT?

It's not a terrible plan.

I believe we sign a starting LT to keep his lordship happy.  That said,  why can't Fuaga play RT for a year or two then move to LT?  As for Warren, maybe he becomes something or maybe he doesn't.  With the way our OL has been for the past decade, it is time to stop with the hope and start with hedging bets.  

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk