2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I believe we sign a starting LT to keep his lordship happy.  That said,  why can't Fuaga play RT for a year or two then move to LT?  As for Warren, maybe he becomes something or maybe he doesn't.  With the way our OL has been for the past decade, it is time to stop with the hope and start with hedging bets.  

We need a LT now, so if Fuaga can play LT right away that would be great. But from what people are saying about him, it sounds like he is more of a RT than LT. 

Maybe you draft him to play LT (eventually) and he learns the position behind a quality vet like Smith or Bakhtiari. Meanwhile, Warren could handle RT. With Mitchell backing up.

I don't know. Perhaps whatever we decide to do will be the wrong choice. We are the Jets, after all.

Tyron Smith comes in and four snaps into his Jets career...

3 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

We need a LT now, so if Fuaga can play LT right away that would be great. But from what people are saying about him, it sounds like he is more of a RT than LT. 

Maybe you draft him to play LT (eventually) and he learns the position behind a quality vet like Smith or Bakhtiari. Meanwhile, Warren could handle RT. With Mitchell backing up.

I don't know. Perhaps whatever we decide to do will be the wrong choice. We are the Jets, after all.

Not cool.

21 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

This is with the assumption we sign a FA starting LT.  Drafting Fuaga and letting him play RT while the FA starts at LT may be the way to go.

• Like 1

After Jets acquiring 2 ex Ravens OLs to fill out LG (at least 2 seasons) and RT(final season), Vera Tucker may man either LT or RG entering the draft.   That could mean Fuaga still is a top target but will he be tried at LT to compete against Carter Warren or later draftee?  Or penci him at RG this year to confirm Vera Tucker as LT.

Remember the reason Moses left Jets is he didn't want to play inside for Jets. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

After Jets acquiring 2 ex Ravens OLs to fill out LG (at least 2 seasons) and RT(final season), Vera Tucker may man either LT or RG entering the draft.   That could mean Fuaga still is a top target but will he be tried at LT to compete against Carter Warren or later draftee?  Or penci him at RG this year to confirm Vera Tucker as LT.

Remember the reason Moses left Jets is he didn't want to play inside for Jets. 

Nah, Vera-Tucker is the right guard now. Pencil him in. Simpson is the LG. Tippmann is the C. Moses is the RT and the LT will be either signed (Bakhtiari?) or drafted (Fashanu?). Probably a combination of both.

Warren is probably a swing tackle for now, and the rest provide depth and competition for jobs.

Starting to come around on the idea of moving down and taking Troy Fautanu, I think he can Play OT and definitely play OG which would give us insurance on AVT and Smith while also giving us a potential LT long term

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Starting to come around on the idea of moving down and taking Troy Fautanu, I think he can Play OT and definitely play OG which would give us insurance on AVT and Smith while also giving us a potential LT long term

I was thinking moving down and taking Bowers 🤯

With the signing of Smith, was never expecting to land him, the additions of Moses and Simpson, the deep WR draft, I think we may be better off dropping back to pick up an extra pick. I would not be opposed to Bowers even though I hate 1st round TE.  I like the flexibility with the OL in the draft.  Fashanu may fall, we don't need to draft a LT, Carter may be able to sit behind Smith and become the LT, this draft is strong for RTs, we can get Mims/Fuaga/etc or a versatile guy like Fautanu/Barton.  WR depth is phenomenal in this draft, we can get a starter round 2 or 3.  Depending how the board goes, trade down may be optimal.

• Like 1

Cooper DeJean could be a darkhorse at 10 if no WR is attractive enough to be taken at 10th.

Cooper DeJean could play either Safety spots, N Back and ZCB. We don't know what future will it be for either Tony Adams, Chuck Clark, DJ Reed and Michael Carter as I believe they will hit FA after this year if not signed.

DeJean is running now so whenever he is ready to roll in front of scouts before the draft he may move up into top 15 or higher.   I think he has better chance to accomplish that goal than either WR Brian Thomas Jr or WR Adonai Mitchell. Those WRs are good alternatives to Rome Odunze in 1st.

Never mind if Jets manage to trade down.

As I mentioned before, I think the best game plan should be to sit at 10 and see who falls to us. If no one is there, I'd trade back. I'm also open to trading up for a franchise QB to sit behind Rodgers for a year or 2. 

I'm not in love with the idea of picking Bowers, but I can talk myself into it with this surrounding. He's not the sexy 6'5+ 250lbs+ 40inch vert TE we dream about, but he's not much smaller than Conklin or Kittle. I'd just rather go after Theo Johnson or trade an unconditional late pick for someone like Darnell Washington. Or even give my guy Zack Kuntz a try. 

Like always, I'm always watching the LBs and Safeties. I think we have a shot at draft a LB at some point and pair him with Mosely and Williams. I'd add a young prospect behind Clark. I'm still a JBC fan, but we need to add to this group. 

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk