2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

20 hours ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm hearing Guyton from Oklahoma is looking really good. 

One source said character and maturity are his major issue.   hmmm!

Almost all WRs offer real deal at Senior Bowl.   Sadly, I have to dismiss undersized ones. lol

Is there any observations from Jet fan on the internet?   Pathetic.

Bo Nix has bad week at Senior Bowl.  I am not surprised by that because he played heavily in dink and dunk offense for Oregon as he could not able to spray all the field in no time.  Take extra seasons to pick up something.  2nd round or 3rd round is about right value for him.

Edited by JetsandI

46 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Is there any observations from Jet fan on the internet?   Pathetic.

Bo Nix has bad week at Senior Bowl.  I am not surprised by that because he played heavily in dink and dunk offense for Oregon as he could not able to spray all the field in no time.  Take extra seasons to pick up something.  2nd round or 3rd round is about right value for him.

Good for us. Most of these QBs (Penix, Nix, McCarthy) are solid athletes with questionable NFL readiness, so my hopes are teams won't be quick to grab them in the first and let them slide. We don't need a day-one starter - we just need someone with tools who can sit, learn, and grow into a starter.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JetsandI said:

One source said character and maturity are his major issue.   hmmm!

Almost all WRs offer real deal at Senior Bowl.   Sadly, I have to dismiss undersized ones. lol

Lol that source is just a hater. 

Someone said Nix had solid day 3 which is why he is mixed in 1st round. Ha! Ha! Ha!

He had 3 successful touchdowns in red zone situations. Bam!  he could be a 1st round guy.

Both Nix and Penix will be 24 years old at week 1 whereas a former 1st round Jordan Love made his "first" debut on week 1 of last year as full time starter at 24 years, after carrying the clipboard for 3 years.

Both hopeful qbs will have a hard time to adjust to new NFL system if NFL doesn't draw offensive plays that benefits them.  

In conclusion, their timing is wrong for Jets.

Can we close qb discussion chapter now?😇

Damn those small or slot WRs showed off their separation ability in Mobile.  Jets could use one of them had they not have Aaron Rodgers on the roster as Xavier Gipson could occupy that spot.

Javon Baker of Senior Team or Bub Means of Shrine Team could work in 3rd round if high level outside WRs are gone.

14 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Someone said Nix had solid day 3 which is why he is mixed in 1st round. Ha! Ha! Ha!

He had 3 successful touchdowns in red zone situations. Bam!  he could be a 1st round guy.

Both Nix and Penix will be 24 years old at week 1 whereas a former 1st round Jordan Love made his "first" debut on week 1 of last year as full time starter at 24 years, after carrying the clipboard for 3 years.

Both hopeful qbs will have a hard time to adjust to new NFL system if NFL doesn't draw offensive plays that benefits them.  

In conclusion, their timing is wrong for Jets.

Can we close qb discussion chapter now?😇

I don't care about age unless thier like 26 or 27 going into the draft. Having a guy at 24 at QB is not a bad thing. To me this means he has a better chance of under standing the game coming in. Maybe they will need less time than say a Jordan Love. I think both these guys come into the draft a lot higher than Love. I would still draft one of these guys if they are there in the 3rd. Heck if one of them really starts to ball out I might even think of trading down and trying to grab them late  in the first or second round if you get a second round on the trade down. If Alt is there at 10 you have to take him, other than that I think this 10 pick is wide open. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I don't care about age unless thier like 26 or 27 going into the draft. Having a guy at 24 at QB is not a bad thing. To me this means he has a better chance of under standing the game coming in. Maybe they will need less time than say a Jordan Love. I think both these guys come into the draft a lot higher than Love. I would still draft one of these guys if they are there in the 3rd. Heck if one of them really starts to ball out I might even think of trading down and trying to grab them late  in the first or second round if you get a second round on the trade down. If Alt is there at 10 you have to take him, other than that I think this 10 pick is wide open. 

3rd round would obviously be ideal, but even if we miss one of this years darlings (Nix, Penix, etc) we might still be able to grab someone like Travis, Rattler, Milton, Pratt in the 3rd or later. We just need to get this QB mill going because picking one in the top 5 every four years isn't cutting it.

• Like 1

I think age matters but it is one factor to consider among others. We definitely want to draft a quarterback who is PREPARED to sit and learn from one of the icons of the sport. If the guy is too old, he may not be as patient as we want him to be. He also needs to check his ego at the door because Rodgers has enough for the entire roster. So, it is a bit tricky. I wanted the Jets to draft Dorian Thompson-Robinson last year. I think he fits what we want in a developmental QB. Now, in DTR's case, he developed more quickly than anticipated. But he is the type of under-the-radar QB I want us to look at. 

I love Michael Penix Jr. I watched the playoff game and I thought he looked fantastic in those pressure situations. But, age and injury history are definite concerns. Is the fact that our right tackle would become more important than our left tackle if we drafted a lefty an issue? Probably not, but it is a consideration in my opinion. 

Ultimately, I think the third round is the sweet spot for drafting an heir apparent to Aaron Rodgers. Ideally, the player is 20-23 years old, right-handed and of similar build to Rodgers. But we don't live in an ideal world (otherwise, we would all be rooting for winning teams!).

2 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I think the third round is the sweet spot for drafting an heir apparent to Aaron Rodgers

Forget names.  Just give me someone who does NOT have accuracy issues and comes from a pro-style offense.  Arm strength, making plays with your legs, having a hot Mom are all secondary to the above.

• rickyt31 changed the title to 2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk