2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Baker is not going anywhere except #1 QB for a number of reasons:  main reason is we cannot get a better QB in trade without paying silly money or draft picks, no franchise QB in draft, no FA available that makes sense, and lastly Browns have put a lot of time,money, and effort into Baker.  At times when healthy Baker has shown he can manage and produce winning.  Obviously QB is the most important position and PFF rated him top 5 for second half of 2021 which translates into Baker has what it takes to win.

Does anyone else feel a little worried that Baker may try to do too much next season due to being on the final year of his contract?  I just have this feeling that he's going to try to play hero ball to prove to not only the Browns, but the media and anti-Baker fans as well that he is a true franchise QB and deserves a massive new contract.  If Stefanski goes back to the run heavy scheme like many want him to do and gives Baker limited opportunities through the air, will Baker try to hit the home run ball every time to help his stats?  I just think Baker may try too hard which will ultimately hurt him and the team as a whole.

Peace!!! 

5 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Does anyone else feel a little worried that Baker may try to do too much next season due to being on the final year of his contract?  I just have this feeling that he's going to try to play hero ball to prove to not only the Browns, but the media and anti-Baker fans as well that he is a true franchise QB and deserves a massive new contract.  If Stefanski goes back to the run heavy scheme like many want him to do and gives Baker limited opportunities through the air, will Baker try to hit the home run ball every time to help his stats?  I just think Baker may try too hard which will ultimately hurt him and the team as a whole.

Peace!!! 

Not really tbh.

He seemed really comfortable early in the season just taking what was given.  It wasn’t until it was proven that the guys he was throwing to weren’t gonna do a damned thing with it that he started playing hero ball in spurts and pressing.

32 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

Peace!!! 

I want Baker to take that next step or bust hard next year. Just show me one way or the other please.

18 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I want Baker to take that next step or bust hard next year. Just show me one way or the other please.

I don’t think he needs to bust hard tbh.

Either he looks like a viable starter who you can win with or he doesn’t. I’m gonna need to see 3500+ yards, 25+ TD’s, 10-13 picks, 65% completions, etc. at a minimum.

If not, I’m not saying you necessarily move on immediately, but you’re definitely looking to upgrade at every opportunity.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think he needs to bust hard tbh.

Either he looks like a viable starter who you can win with or he doesn’t. I’m gonna need to see 3500+ yards, 25+ TD’s, 10-13 picks, 65% completions, etc. at a minimum.

If not, I’m not saying you necessarily move on immediately, but you’re definitely looking to upgrade at every opportunity.

I get what you're saying, but if he puts up something like 3,500 yards, 25 TD, and 10-13 picks, that's the equivalent of about 200 yards a game with about 1.3 TD and 0.66 INT. In today's NFL, that's not great...especially if we'd then have to pay him.

I'd like ~4,000 yards with about 30-34 TD (almost to at least 2 per game) and 10 INT. That may be unrealistic, but barring a season like that, I can't justify moving on with him.

JMHO

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I get what you're saying, but if he puts up something like 3,500 yards, 25 TD, and 10-13 picks, that's the equivalent of about 200 yards a game with about 1.3 TD and 0.66 INT. In today's NFL, that's not great...especially if we'd then have to pay him.

I'd like ~4,000 yards with about 30-34 TD (almost to at least 2 per game) and 10 INT. That may be unrealistic, but barring a season like that, I can't justify moving on with him.

JMHO

I don't see him putting up those numbers unless the offense starts running through the RB more in the passing game, unless they are going to really upgrade the WR room. Give him easier throws for yards (we should be doing this BTW). Also I would imagine those stats take away from Chubb touching the ball. Which I don't agree with. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

JMHO

I don’t think he should ever hit those numbers with how well we run the ball.

The bulk numbers are just a starting point.  I really just need to see him be able to pass the ball and put points on the board when the running game isn’t working.  If he can make people pay for bringing an extra guy into the box, we’re in good shape.

Some games he may not even need to throw a TD, others we may need 3-4.  I just want to see that if we need him to deliver with his arm, he can and do it consistently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think he should ever hit those numbers with how well we run the ball.

The bulk numbers are just a starting point.  I really just need to see him be able to pass the ball and put points on the board when the running game isn’t working.  If he can make people pay for bringing an extra guy into the box, we’re in good shape.

Some games he may not even need to throw a TD, others we may need 3-4.  I just want to see that if we need him to deliver with his arm, he can and do it consistently.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just for a statistical point of reference, every QB in the league who passed for 4K or more had at least 100 more passing attempts. Tom Brady literally threw the ball 300 times more than Baker btw.  That’s insane.

1 minute ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I see its already been expressed......but as long as we have Chubb, Hunt and Johnson, Patrick Maholms shouldnt pass for more than 3200-3500 yards at the MOST!!!!!

That's great with me and I understand, but if you (anyone) is going to use that argument (and it's a legitimate one), I need under 10 interceptions then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

That's great with me and I understand, but if you (anyone) is going to use that argument (and it's a legitimate one), I need under 10 interceptions then.

I'll take a dozen or less.....if he throws 27TD's and 12ints, I wont eat his lunch for that....I think its more the Ratio...I'd love 2.5 TD's to every pick.....10TD's 4ints, 20TD's 8 ints, 30TD's 12 ints.....etc.....I think that's winning football.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I'll take a dozen or less.....if he throws 27TD's and 12ints, I wont eat his lunch for that....I think its more the Ratio...I'd love 2.5 TD's to every pick.....10TD's 4ints, 20TD's 8 ints, 30TD's 12 ints.....etc.....I think that's winning football.

Right, I think we agree. I'm saying the ratio needs to be approaching 3:1.

If he's "only" throwing 25 TD's, he'd better be under 10 in today's NFL...and his efficiency numbers on third and fourth down and in the Red Zone HAVE GOT TO IMPROVE.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If he's "only" throwing 25 TD's, he'd better be under 10 in today's NFL...and his efficiency numbers on third and fourth down and in the Red Zone HAVE GOT TO IMPROVE.

agreed-pirates.gif

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That’s all fair imo.