2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Tread carefully

ikr.  It’s a fine line with that arse kicker.

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Do you think the fanbase is still collectively nervous about extending Baker if he doesn't get injured last year? It's an interesting question.

Hard to say.  Depends on the dollar amount we’re talking.  Injury or not these weapons weren’t giving him a lot of help.

I’m still hopeful he’s the guy.  Maybe he’s not the next Brady or Mahomes, but he’s a lot better than some in here credit him for being and replacing him with a better player is a lot easier to type out on a forum than do in reality. Imo anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He is harsh but righteous in his wrath.

Hard to say.  Depends on the dollar amount we’re talking.  Injury or not these weapons weren’t giving him a lot of help.

I would say we can reasonably predict the least we could sign him at now and that number isn't below 30mil, which I think even right now it's over. This is more a statement about where QB contracts are headed than what Baker is worth on an objective level.

I would say a 3/90 60gtd is probably the ballpark of the team and Baker extended now. Would you do that, betting on Baker?

Otherwise, it's reasonable to expect that if he is healthy and has a very good season (~4000 30/10) that he gets 5/250 175gtd. Are you so unsure that you risk giving Baker's side all of the leverage in negotiations? It's a tough one.

Also, the team could franchise him, which would make Baker over 30mil next year and wouldn't be the end of the world for either side; however, by then we've pushed Baker's contract two years back into the new TV money deals. Baker might get a 5/320 if he has two good years. And then one might argue that he now deserves it (though they will balk at 64mil/yr, suggesting it might be "too much"). But if we could get him for less, why not get him for less? 

tl;dr a lot of words to say none of this matters if the coach and management believe he's the guy or not. If they believe in him they'll sign him, whatever the value at that point.

I’m still hopeful he’s the guy.  Maybe he’s not the next Brady or Mahomes, but he’s a lot better than some in here credit him for being and replacing him with a better player is a lot easier to type out on a forum than do in reality. Imo anyway.

It's still early. Let's leave open possibility that he could indeed be the next Brady or Mahomes. He's still developing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

He definitely swings the biggest dong I’ve ever known of.

I would say we can reasonably predict the least we could sign him at now and that number isn't below 30mil, which I think even right now it's over. This is more a statement about where QB contracts are headed than what Baker is worth on an objective level.

I would say a 3/90 60gtd is probably the ballpark of the team and Baker extended now. Would you do that, betting on Baker?

Would I?  Yeah, probably.  I think he can be good enough to win in the right situation. 

Otherwise, it's reasonable to expect that if he is healthy and has a very good season (~4000 30/10) that he gets 5/250 175gtd. Are you so unsure that you risk giving Baker's side all of the leverage in negotiations? It's a tough one.

Also, the team could franchise him, which would make Baker over 30mil next year and wouldn't be the end of the world for either side; however, by then we've pushed Baker's contract two years back into the new TV money deals. Baker might get a 5/320 if he has two good years. And then one might argue that he now deserves it (though they will balk at 64mil/yr, suggesting it might be "too much"). But if we could get him for less, why not get him for less? 

I don’t worry about the possibility of a huge contract.  If he plays that well this year, franchise him and see if he does it again.  If he does, pay him whatever.

It's still early. Let's leave open possibility that he could indeed be the next Brady or Mahomes. He's still developing. 

It’s possible, sure, but not probable.  And that’s ok. Not every good QB is gonna be an all time great, but I do think Baker could be a good long term option.  That’s definitely still possible.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think it goes back to the “are you hurt, or are you injured?” question.

Playing through pain, bumps and bruises is expected and necessary tbh.  Playing through legit injuries is not.

From some of the stats I’ve read about his percentage of off target throws this season compared to other years, it’s pretty clear that harness was impacting him. That itself was enough to potentially shut it down, but he absolutely should have been sat for a week or two with the lower body injuries.  I don’t know if any single injury was a season ender per se, but in combination he became a physical train wreck.

• Like 1

We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon nearly a decade ago now and I remember taking the shuttle from the airport to the resort. We drove an hour through poor and impoverished areas. We got there, and there was somebody on the shuttle that was moaning to the shuttle driver about his bad resort experiences, where a lot of these five star resorts were such overrated experiences, etc. Another person was complaining about the meal portions. I really don’t know how rich Americans could make it in other parts of the world. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

We went to Jamaica on our honeymoon nearly a decade ago now and I remember taking the shuttle from the airport to the resort. We drove an hour through poor and impoverished areas. We got there, and there was somebody on the shuttle that was moaning to the shuttle driver about his bad resort experiences, where a lot of these five star resorts were such overrated experiences, etc. Another person was complaining about the meal portions. I really don’t know how rich Americans could make it in other parts of the world. 

Wrong thread?

Or was Baker complaining about the all inclusive package?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I hereby declare to even the balances that Baker-talk be permitted in every thread.

I just had to clarify. 

It’s not out of the realm of possibility for some on this forum to be critical of how aggressively he may chew his ceviche or the passive aggressive look on his face when booking a 2 hour snorkeling adventure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just had to clarify. 

It’s not out of the realm of possibility for some on this forum to be critical of how aggressively he may chew his ceviche or the passive aggressive look on his face when booking a 2 hour snorkeling adventure.

Not unlike his commercial time, that vacay time would be better spent hitting the playbook and putting work in with receivers. You know, like Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

tl;dr a lot of words to say none of this matters if the coach and management believe he's the guy or not. If they believe in him they'll sign him, whatever the value at that point.

No 

Arguments for increased pay

Split with Lamar

1 win no losses verses Allen

3 wins no losses verses Burrows 

1 win no losses against Cousins

1 win no losses against Tannehill

Not to mention his nfc record.

Playoffs scored more points verses the Steelers than Mahomes,Brady,Elway,Manning,

So on so forth anybody want to trade Tannehill and his 45 million

Dollar salary straight up for Mayfield. 

The toughest part now is that Mayfield is worth 50 to 60 million 

And can tell you I am not signing the franchise tag.

Then what due you do?