IDEAL COACH

Dionysus

One thing to consider is, Mularkeys contract is up after next season. What OC could we possibly bring in, especially with them knowing that after next season it’s possible for them to be jobless.

I honestly think the best thing to do would be to start over especially if extending Mularkey isn’t in the plan. Lebeau isn’t getting any younger so it’s no telling when he will retire. Are there any DC out there worth bringing in? It’s like we really have to make a decision on which way we wanna go. 

9 minutes ago, 615finest said:

One thing to consider is, Mularkeys contract is up after next season. What OC could we possibly bring in, especially with them knowing that after next season it’s possible for them to be jobless.

I honestly think the best thing to do would be to start over especially if extending Mularkey isn’t in the plan. Lebeau isn’t getting any younger so it’s no telling when he will retire. Are there any DC out there worth bringing in? It’s like we really have to make a decision on which way we wanna go. 

Yeah I mentioned that Mularkey's contract would be a huge deal months ago if the season got away from us like it has. The way I see it is the best that we can do for Mularkey in terms of an extension would be just adding another year on to his deal which honestly I still feel like even that would be kind of a meaningless deal. Coaches aren't stupid. Even with an extension like this everybody would see through it and know next year would be make or break for him. So, there still wouldn't be any real security there for any incoming assistant coaches to his staff. So, at face value you'd get rid of the "lame duck status" with an extension, but it'd be nothing but a façade under the surface. "Extension" or not, if we falter next year, Mularkey and his staff are gone. So, it's really not an inviting situation for any prospective OCs or other assistant coaches.

I am so tired of watching other teams receivers running open, and our guys are either tackled immediately or 2 steps from OB when they catch it. That is scheme and play design...ours is below par and outdated!!!

We are in need of an offensive minded coach...probably on the younger side. See LA Rams and the 49ers. 

The first reason I think young is a requirement is, younger coaches are not so adimant on running one thing no matter the opponent and flow of the game. Sean McVay came in and worked with Goff to see what he likes...doesn't like, if he is comfortable on the move...or wants to stand in the pocket....

The second reason is older coaches...see all of our past coaches...are overly dedicated to veterans. Only first round guys come in and start in our recent history. You can't tell me there is not a CB or WR that deserves a shot over the likes of Douglas, McCain, and Antwon Blake...I could go on...

The 3rd reason is that most believe we have a franchise QB, maybe not top 5 but easily top half of the league, so we need someone who will develop him. 

Lastly, coaches that have been around and are veteran coaches play to NOT LOSE!!! We need a guy that steps on the throat and doesn't let up until the game is out of hand. So tired of getting up by 2 scores and then shutting it down and going into complete stall mode...even in the first half!! We should have the mindset that we want the game so out of hand that Marcus can sit the 4th quarter out. Also our defense shuts down and plays too safe when we get up, which allows the game to never be fully in control.

I just wanted to hit on the "older" Coaches thing.
I think this is another narrative that has been overblown with this team.  

Pete Carroll is 66(oldest in the league).
Bill Belichick 65  (next oldest)

Arians-64
Jim Caldwell-62
John Fox- 62
Mike Zimmer-61
Andy Reid-59
Murlakey- 55
Harbaugh- 54
McCarthy-53
Sean Payton-53
Doug Pederson- 49
Quinn-46
Tomlin-45
Shanahan-37
McVay-31

So I think McVay has everyone thinking we or the league needs to get as young as they can with the coaches.  
If you think Murlakey is too old, then So is Zimmer, Harbaugh, Reid, Arians, Belichick and Carroll.   All coaches I think many around here would want.

Age isn't the problem. It's philological approach to the game. Not age.

When I say older I am referring to years as OC or HC. I realize that their are some veteran HC's that will hire OC's and let them do their thing...and that is great, I would be happy with that.

The mind set here in TEN for several years(Whiz not included) is just do enough to win. I know I keep bringing up McVay as if he was available, but yesterday he had his team up 40 to 0 at one point....that would never happen with our coach. If we were so dominant that we got up 21-0 in the second quarter we would go into complete stall and clock run mode, and end up winning 24-21. Hammering someone like that sends a message to every other team...you don't think our guys will fold like a cheap lawn chair the second that LA gets up 21-0 this week knowing they are going to hammer us into submission? Look at the HOU game. 

Yesterday was the straw that broke the camels back for me. And Mularkey being such a little punk crybaby in his press conferences even makes the situation worse 

he needs to be canned. Someone in the FO needs to grow some balls and show this perennial loser the door

2 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

It's sad to know we could have had Zimmer and chose the retard Whisenhunt over him.

Perfect example of perception. Zimmer was hired in a pretty fair hiring cycle by the Vikings vs. the sham of a hiring with Murlakey. 

His first two years he is 19-14. 
Murlakey in his first two years as HC (so far) 17-13. With two games left.

2nd year as full time HC, had his team in the playoffs, only to lose in the first round at home. 
8-8 in his 3rd year. After team had a start of 5-0 only to win 3 out of the last 12.  Forum would have rioted and everyone here knows it's true. 
Traded an 1st rounder for Sam Bradford.  (worked out a little, but people here would have LOST their every loving mind, if we did that)

4th year, team in the playoffs after having an outlier type season from journey man Case Keenum. 

I'm sorry. Knowing the type of fans we have on this forum. People would wanted him out after that 3rd year.  
"He can't get us over the hump." 
"He can't lead us to a Super Bowl."
"He can't find us a QB or an offense."

And even now, is anyone truly willing to bet their franchise's future on the hope that Keenum repeats what he did this year? 
He built a good defense, not all world, but good. 

All that to say, I would love to have Zimmer. However, he technically is not much better than Murlakey, but has a better public image. Especially when examining each after the same amount of time with their perspective teams. 

This isn't an endorsement of Murlakey, but an example to me, that we talk about changing coaches, but a lot of times there isn't an obvious and guaranteed improvement with the next hire.

These coaches are like QBs. You might hit on one right away, but most times they need time and people around them to make it work.

13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Perfect example of perception. Zimmer was hired in a pretty fair hiring cycle by the Vikings vs. the sham of a hiring with Murlakey. 

2nd year as full time HC, had his team in the playoffs, only to lose in the first round at home. 
8-8 in his 3rd year. After team had a start of 5-0 only to win 3 out of the last 12.  Forum would have rioted and everyone here knows it's true. 
Traded an 1st rounder for Sam Bradford.  (worked out a little, but people here would have LOST their every loving mind, if we did that)

4th year, team in the playoffs after having an outlier type season from journey man Case Keenum. 

I'm sorry. Knowing the type of fans we have on this forum. People would wanted him out after that 3rd year.  

And even now, is anyone truly willing to bet their franchise's future on the hope that Keenum repeats what he did this year? 

All that to say, I would love to have Zimmer. However, he technically is not much better than Murlakey, but has a better public image. Especially when examining each after the same amount of time with their perspective teams. 

This isn't an endorsement of Murlakey, but an example to me, that we talk about changing coaches, but a lot of times there isn't an obvious and guaranteed improvement with the next hire.

These coaches are like QBs. You might hit on one right away, but most times they need time and people around them to make it work.

anybody making this argument is completely, 100% blind to the circumstances regarding zimmer's work with the vikings. you think mularkey would be making it work right now if mariota had a career-threatening injury?

If we're going brand new coaching staff... I'm really looking at Frank Reich from the Eagles.  Its crazy that he was fired from SD for Whisenhunt... but what he's done with the Eagles offense the past two years is spectacular.  Thing is, does he have anyone in mind that would come in and run the offense the way he has in Philly... or is he in the mold of McVay and Shanahan meaning he'll be calling plays?

He'd also need a solid/strong DC.  I know the defense has improved since last season... but I wouldn't know how much longer we can count on LeBeau sticking around... 

But I'm also not one that would turn in his fan card if Mularkey is back.  The last 2 games have been demoralizing... but I still think he's a coach we can win with... as long as he has the right playcaller in place.  I know I'm in the shrinking minority there... but I think Mularkey is as much at fault as Robinson is.  I think the 2 of them together can figure it out.  Of course, I won't be upset if he's gone next year... but the coaching search better not be anywhere near what it was last time... 

24 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

His defense is quite a bit better than just good. 14th in yards, 11th in points in 2014, 13th in yards, 5th in ppg in 2015, 3rd in yards per game, 6th in ppg in 2016. 2nd in yards per game, 2nd in points per game this year. So it's been elite the past two years, and has gotten better ever year he's been there. He's had some really ****ty QB luck but would already have a playoff win under his belt if not for Blair Walsh being awful.

His defensive mind might be the best in the game. I wanted him back in 2013 and still want him now. Such a good football coach. After Belichick and Carrol I think he has as good of an argument as anyone as 3rd best coach in football. Flashback to my mock from 2013 with us signing him at HC, Hue Jackson as OC and Paul Guenther as DC...too bad the rest of my mock was as bad as my coaching choices were good.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=536835

13 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

If we're going brand new coaching staff... I'm really looking at Frank Reich from the Eagles.  Its crazy that he was fired from SD for Whisenhunt... but what he's done with the Eagles offense the past two years is spectacular.  Thing is, does he have anyone in mind that would come in and run the offense the way he has in Philly... or is he in the mold of McVay and Shanahan meaning he'll be calling plays?

He'd also need a solid/strong DC.  I know the defense has improved since last season... but I wouldn't know how much longer we can count on LeBeau sticking around... 

i seem to recall chargers fans really hating the guy. his work with the eagles is impressive, though. wonder what the different perceptions are a result of?

4 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

But I'm also not one that would turn in his fan card if Mularkey is back.  The last 2 games have been demoralizing... but I still think he's a coach we can win with... as long as he has the right playcaller in place.  I know I'm in the shrinking minority there... but I think Mularkey is as much at fault as Robinson is.  I think the 2 of them together can figure it out.  Of course, I won't be upset if he's gone next year... but the coaching search better not be anywhere near what it was last time... 

I'm on record as not being one that wants the HC to be the OC also.  But, if he can assemble a good staff, I'll be on board with him.  
If we play the past connection game, a Reich staff would look something like this maybe:
HC-Reich
OC- John McNulty (Chargers TE coach)
QB Coach- Nick Sirianni- (Chargers WR Coach)
DC- Sal Sunseri (Raiders LB Coach)

Archived