IDEAL COACH

Dionysus

6 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Oh it's absolutely a player problem as well. The line has not performed nearly at the level it should and both backs plow into offensive linemen way too frequently.

But I can only use that as a real excuse for the coaches for the first month or so. We are about to play the 11th game of the season, there's no excuse for leading the league in something that you've consistently proven that you can't do.

I don't want a new HC honestly, but I'll be fine with it, because of stats like that. Needs someone to adjust, instead of being stubborn.

But I'm good either way. He has success and keeps the job or he fails to meet expectations and is replaced.

50 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

is there any chance that we make the playoffs and still fire robiskie? that'd be ideal.

i'm not gonna root for losses to make it happen, but man....it really feels like we're blowing it with the offense right now

I said it a few weeks ago, but I really think it bears repeating...

With Mularkey (and the entire staff really) going into the season with the lame duck designation, its going to be hard to hire a good replacement for Robiskie. Good outside candidates won't want to jump onboard that lame duck boat.

Mularkey would either need to be extended or fired. Its going to be hard to fire anyone after a 10 win/playoff season... No matter how much a few fans hate the guy.

Jason Michael is a logical replacement option. I actually wouldn't hate the move... Giving him a real shot at designing an offense tailored to Mariota and calling plays.

But my guess is many will be disappointed when Robiskie is back next year... 

5 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

With Mularkey (and the entire staff really) going into the season with the lame duck designation, its going to be hard to hire a good replacement for Robiskie. Good outside candidates won't want to jump onboard that lame duck boat.

Mularkey would either need to be extended or fired. Its going to be hard to fire anyone after a 10 win/playoff season... No matter how much a few fans hate the guy.

Jason Michael is a logical replacement option. I actually wouldn't hate the move... Giving him a real shot at designing an offense tailored to Mariota and calling plays.

All true points. Mularkey has critiqued the O this year, though, and we haven't improved. Maybe Michael will get re-promoted

but I'm just trying to be optimistic 

7 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I say 50/50 yes that’s unheard of firing a coach if we’re a 10 plus win team, however  if Mariota continues to struggle & regress & the coach John Robinson want is out there I can see him making a move. Robinson can’t afford to bet on mularkey & company to develop our franchise QB. Next yr our division will be way more tougher, with a healthy Andrew Luck & the colts will have a top 10 pick to help that roster.  So will the Texans can you imagine a fully strength Texans team wit Watson picking up where he left off & a top 10 pick ? oh & imagine the jags wit a QB to an already elite defense.

2 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

I say 50/50 yes that’s unheard of firing a coach if we’re a 10 plus win team, however  if Mariota continues to struggle & regress & the coach John Robinson want is out there I can see him making a move. Robinson can’t afford to bet on mularkey & company to develop our franchise QB. Next yr our division will be way more tougher, with a healthy Andrew Luck & the colts will have a top 10 pick to help that roster.  So will the Texans can you imagine a fully strength Texans team wit Watson picking up where he left off & a top 10 pick ? oh & imagine the jags wit a QB to an already elite defense.

Colts: most likely Luck will be back healthy, but there are certainly rumblings that he may never be the same. 

Texans: they gave away their draft this year. Will be interesting to see how Watson does with some tape on him and an offseason for DC’s to study him. 

Jags: definitely the most scary team with their defense in place. will be interesting to see what direction they go at QB. Huge decision for their franchise. 

2 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm jumping the gun, but if missing the playoffs means Mularkey is canned, that probably sets us up for the future more than us making the playoffs and extending this clown

i don’t think that’s a safe bet at all. ownership loves him

2 hours ago, -Hope- said:

i don’t think that’s a safe bet at all. ownership loves him

Ownership loves Robinson, remember Robinson the 1 that hired mularkey & gave him a chance at coach, ownership promoted John Robinson his 2nd yr as GM   For his good work as a rookie GM. Ownership will ride wit whatever John Robinson says he runs the show...

16 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I think if Mularkey gets us to the playoffs he gets a 2 year extension, can't really see him getting moved if we make the playoffs. I think his mindset has been holding us back, but I can't say it's fair to have 2 straight years of progress - assuming we make the playoffs - to can him. 

If we make the playoffs and Robiskie is gone, I'd be very content. Michael may be a good option, I don't know. But he never has had play-calling responsibility here so I'm at least interested to see how he could do. I think as a younger guy he probably will at least bring a fresh approach which would be nice, and you get to keep that continuity with Marcus. Either way, can't root for L's but crossing fingers that ownership + J-Rob don't take this season's results as proof that everything is A-OK. We have some great pieces, but we have taken exotic smashmouth as far as it'll go. Mularkey can still make changes without compromising his philosophy. 

Kevin Sumlin just became available. He was stuck in neutral the past few seasons as HC for A&M... But he's got a proven track record as an OC under Stoops, then in Houston (consistent highly rated offenses).

No ties to Mularkey... And he'll probably get a HC job at a smaller school/conference... Nothing concrete to link him here...But he'd be a real interesting option

14 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

Ownership loves Robinson, remember Robinson the 1 that hired mularkey & gave him a chance at coach, ownership promoted John Robinson his 2nd yr as GM   For his good work as a rookie GM. Ownership will ride wit whatever John Robinson says he runs the show...

I don’t think Robinson hired him. Mularkey was forced on what ever GM was taking the job and JRob was the only one who said yes. I forget which guy interviewed but he didn’t want Mularkey and ultimately never got the job 

Archived