2022 where we finally are rebuilt draft thread

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

I'm torn on this.  On the one hand, i'm a firm believer that a top quality OLine makes for a good team.  But i also genuinely believe that Trevor is a transcendent sort of QB who actually can make a mediocre line look a lot better than they are.  He just has an awareness and presence in the pocket that is special.  That can cover up for a lot of ineptitude in an OLine, and honestly...looks like it already has started to.

I think if you asked Trevor himself...at this point, he'd probably just ask for that stud to throw the ball to.  Figure the rest out.

He'd probably want a defense that gets 3 and outs  as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

He'd probably want a defense that gets 3 and outs  as well. 

I don't think he'd object to that.  But i still think that fundamentally, in the mind of someone like that...he'd ultimately lean toward just giving himself the tools to try to outscore any other problem.  Same way Brady did at times with the Pats.

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm torn on this.  On the one hand, i'm a firm believer that a top quality OLine makes for a good team.  But i also genuinely believe that Trevor is a transcendent sort of QB who actually can make a mediocre line look a lot better than they are.  He just has an awareness and presence in the pocket that is special.  That can cover up for a lot of ineptitude in an OLine, and honestly...looks like it already has started to.

I think if you asked Trevor himself...at this point, he'd probably just ask for that stud to throw the ball to.  Figure the rest out.

Yeah, the OL looks capable enough when paired with Trevor, to handle things in a decent manner. You can continue to build up depth and draft guys to take over, and maybe splurge for an upgrade at a spot if you want, but I don’t think it needs wholesale turnover right now.

They gotta be cognizant of Linder’s injury history and his age creeping up pairing together for him falling off, and we want to explore development and getting younger and all of that at key spots. 

But I think the level at which they’ve performed within the structure of having a guy like Trevor and a RB like JRob, you don’t need to make wholesale changes across the board as long as they’re playing like this. Make changes where you can get better at a reasonable price, maybe you splurge on a RG or draft a LT early if he’s the best guy on the board or you move on from Cam because the price doesn’t look like it’s going to work when you get to the negotiation table.

The big thing for the offense is like you said just adding firepower. They need a WR1 in the worst way. As the season goes along, we’ll see if they need a WR2 too, and obviously need to — even if he looks like a WR2 for the rest of the year — start looking at getting someone who can grow into replacing Marvin Jones. Viska and Tyron need to show that they’re both worth of being a 3 & 4 WR or maybe you bring in someone else for that too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pwny said:

Yeah, the OL looks capable enough when paired with Trevor, to handle things in a decent manner. You can continue to build up depth and draft guys to take over, and maybe splurge for an upgrade at a spot if you want, but I don’t think it needs wholesale turnover right now.

They gotta be cognizant of Linder’s injury history and his age creeping up pairing together for him falling off, and we want to explore development and getting younger and all of that at key spots. 

But I think the level at which they’ve performed within the structure of having a guy like Trevor and a RB like JRob, you don’t need to make wholesale changes across the board as long as they’re playing like this. Make changes where you can get better at a reasonable price, maybe you splurge on a RG or draft a LT early if he’s the best guy on the board or you move on from Cam because the price doesn’t look like it’s going to work when you get to the negotiation table.

The big thing for the offense is like you said just adding firepower. They need a WR1 in the worst way. As the season goes along, we’ll see if they need a WR2 too, and obviously need to — even if he looks like a WR2 for the rest of the year — start looking at getting someone who can grow into replacing Marvin Jones. Viska and Tyron need to show that they’re both worth of being a 3 & 4 WR or maybe you bring in someone else for that too. 

It's just so much easier to find those WR2/3 types, when you do have that true #1 to slot in at the top.  It just moves everyone else down to a rung on the depth chart, and role that they can really thrive in.  It's hard being a WR2 on a team with three #2/3 guys.  It's a lot easier being a WR2 behind a stud who draws all the appropriate attention.

It's frustrating, that this team still kind of needs impact players at literally almost every single position.  You can't blow off the garbage defense either.  But with Trevor's ability...it's definitely looking like OLine might actually be a place you can get by with "good enough" now.  That's the kind of advantage you need, to actually start to get ahead on drafting and roster development.  If you can function with a "decent" OLine being flattered to look better than they are.

Though Cam's contractual situation, and like you said...Linder's continual injury situation and age in general, are definitely factors in even just trying to maintain "status quo" there.

This team just needs so much help.  Everywhere.  Which is absolutely insane, from a team that's been as bad, and draft as high and as often as this one over the past decade.

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

It's just so much easier to find those WR2/3 types, when you do have that true #1 to slot in at the top.  It just moves everyone else down to a rung on the depth chart, and role that they can really thrive in.  It's hard being a WR2 on a team with three #2/3 guys.  It's a lot easier being a WR2 behind a stud who draws all the appropriate attention.

It's frustrating, that this team still kind of needs impact players at literally almost every single position.  You can't blow off the garbage defense either.  But with Trevor's ability...it's definitely looking like OLine might actually be a place you can get by with "good enough" now.  That's the kind of advantage you need, to actually start to get ahead on drafting and roster development.  If you can function with a "decent" OLine being flattered to look better than they are.

Though Cam's contractual situation, and like you said...Linder's continual injury situation and age in general, are definitely factors in even just trying to maintain "status quo" there.

This team just needs so much help.  Everywhere.  Which is absolutely insane, from a team that's been as bad, and draft as high and as often as this one over the past decade.

Cann linder and Norwell are all around the same age. That 29/30

Can we all take a moment and again, appreciate that we chose to have a top pick last year and aren’t one of the QB needy teams this year? This class is looking fairly sketchy. Couple intriguing guys at the top but Rattler and Howell (neither of which I was that high on to begin with) falling off has just made it even worse.

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Can we all take a moment and again, appreciate that we chose to have a top pick last year and aren’t one of the QB needy teams this year? This class is looking fairly sketchy. Couple intriguing guys at the top but Rattler and Howell (neither of which I was that high on to begin with) falling off has just made it even worse.

I can.  I was higher on Willis then those 2. 

On 10/13/2021 at 10:19 AM, .Buzz said:

Think we gotta win 4-5 games at least for him to be looked at as BPA but I really like this guy.

I have Garrett Wilson #1 right now over his teammate Chris Olave, but I think it's closer to a 1a/1b scenario than most think. Honestly, late night thinking about it right now, Olave may be the better fit for short-term + long-term what we need at WR. 

Assuming we are out of Thibodeaux range, who are we liking? Neal? Hamilton? Hutchinson?

My current draft crush who is flying up draft boards is Ahmad Gardner. I bet our pass rush would get home more if we had better corners. From what I’ve seen, we have one of the higher pressure rates but one of the worse sack rates. Sounds like we are super close at bringing the QB down, which tells me the problem is in the secondary. 

Hutchinson and Neal from a talent+positional perspective are tough for me to pass up. I love Hamilton but…

Still way too early who to know ends up being up in that realm. I’d say the guys you listed are the only certain top 8ish locks.

2 hours ago, Chops013 said:

Assuming we are out of Thibodeaux range, who are we liking? Neal? Hamilton? Hutchinson?

My current draft crush who is flying up draft boards is Ahmad Gardner. I bet our pass rush would get home more if we had better corners. From what I’ve seen, we have one of the higher pressure rates but one of the worse sack rates. Sounds like we are super close at bringing the QB down, which tells me the problem is in the secondary. 

Based on how our defense doesn't get takeaways of the guys u listed I'd probably a slight lean towards Hamilton. 

If u wanna watch an interesting guy check out DL Leal from Texas A&M. Pretty athletic and plays across the line from them. 

I'd like to throw Stingley, Elam, booth as guys I'd probably take over Gardner.