Could X Howard be traded?

Deadeye

So apparently Howard is now demanding a trade. 

https://www.thephinsider.com/2021/7/27/22597107/xavien-howard-requests-trade-from-miami-dolphins

I say, find the best deal and send him on his way.  I don't begrudge him anything, if he can make more money he needs to go ahead and secure his future.  Miami on the other hand, needs to move on from him.  You can't renegotiate a deal every time someone has a great season.  He was highest paid at his position after signing his contract two years ago.  It's just too soon to give him more money. 

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 1

Damn this breaks my heart, X is the best player on the team, if they do trade him that means 2 top 5 defensive backs will have been lost in the last 2 seasons. I get that you can’t keep paying guys but how many times will this really happen? Can’t keep making these guys in happy, I understand Minkahs situation was different but still you don’t want to lose guys like this consistently and it’s starting to become a trend. If we really want to be a great team, these are the players you keep. I’m really bummed but I understand X’s reasons. He played like the best cornerback in the league, he deserves to be paid like it. If we lose X I’m gonna be really worried about our D, I mean who steps in for him? Needham? Iggy isn’t a boundary guy and Nik just isn’t on the same level as X, plus we have a rookie playing safety and who knows how good or bad Eric Rowe will be. Plus we still don’t know if our pass rush will be any good. Ya we got Phillips but we haven’t seen him play and Van Ginkel and Ogbah are meh players at best. I really though the tandem of Jones and Howard would go on to be one of the best duos ever and really had the chance to do so, now our defense might be our weakest link this year and that’s saying something. Because our running game sucks, we don’t know about our quarterback, the line is average to below average and We don’t really know about the receivers being that there a couple new starters in Fuller and Waddle. I’m scared this move could set us back really far.

Edited by Jdolphins18

Could Howard be traded?  Absolutely!!!  It just depends on the compensation.  My preference is that we keep Howard and I think we can, but for the right offer any player on the team can and should be traded.

2 first round picks and he's a goner.

1 first round pick and a certain player he's a goner.

Player for player swap ( depending on the other player involved ) he's a goner.

A first rounder and a second rounder from the right team and he's a goner.

3 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Could Howard be traded?  Absolutely!!!  It just depends on the compensation.  My preference is that we keep Howard and I think we can, but for the right offer any player on the team can and should be traded.

2 first round picks and he's a goner.

1 first round pick and a certain player he's a goner.

Player for player swap ( depending on the other player involved ) he's a goner.

A first rounder and a second rounder from the right team and he's a goner.

I don't think anyone is giving multiple high picks given his contract demands and injury history.  I think we're looking more at a second plus a player, or a second and multiple picks.  The lone exception might be a really good team (guaranteed to be picking late) offers a first for him.

Edited by Deadeye

11 hours ago, Deadeye said:

I don't think anyone is giving multiple high picks given his contract demands and injury history.  I think we're looking more at a second plus a player, or a second and multiple picks.  The lone exception might be a really good team (guaranteed to be picking late) offers a first for him.

I think it is unlikely we get 2 first round picks for him, but certainly possible.  I think the most likely possibility is that he is traded for 1 first round pick and either a player or a mid round pick ( 3rd round to 5th round ).  

I don’t think we let him go with less than a first round pick.  He led the league in interceptions as a man coverage corner in 2 of the last 3 seasons.  His 10 interception 2020 season should relax any concerns over his knee injury.

Consider this:  Jaylen Ramsey / 75 games played / 58 pass def / 11 INT / 2 first round picks 1 fourth

X Howard / 56 games played / 55 pass def / 22 INT / ???????

Edited by Swampbilly

Was Howard the clear cut Top CB in the NFL when Miami paid him as the Top CB in the NFL?  The answer is no.  Miami COMMITTED to him and said "we believe in you and will pay you like you will be the #1 CB."  I love him as a player, but I think he needs some perspective.  Winning isn't important to him.  See ya!

3 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

Was Howard the clear cut Top CB in the NFL when Miami paid him as the Top CB in the NFL?  The answer is no.  Miami COMMITTED to him and said "we believe in you and will pay you like you will be the #1 CB."  I love him as a player, but I think he needs some perspective.  Winning isn't important to him.  See ya!

That’s a valid point, and to add to it; it’s not like Howard wanted to renegotiate his contract and give some of his guaranteed salary back in 2019 when he only played 5 games.

I also think our front office didn’t help this situation when they signed Byron Jones to more money.  My understanding is that the FO could restructure a contract or two and throw $4-5 Mil guarantee on X’s current deal and he would be happy, and that he isn’t really looking to break the bank.

I also believe that the COVID hit on the salary cap isn’t helping this situation either.

Edited by Swampbilly

On 7/30/2021 at 2:07 PM, Rgossett07 said:

Just to take a look at Howard’s contract; according to Spotrac ( which is very reliable ), Xavien Howard has never been the highest paid CB in the league.  In 2019 when he signed his current contract he was the 6th highest paid CB in the NFL with a total guarantee ( which is all that matters with NFL pay ) of $39,260,641.

CB’s with higher guaranteed pay than X in 2019

1. Josh Norman

2. Patrick Peterson

3. Trumaine Johnson

4. Desmon Trufant

5. Stephane Gilmore

Howard was the 6th highest paid CB in the league and is currently still the 6th highest paid CB in the league.

Byron Jones current contract guarantees him $54,375,000.  That’s substantially more than X and makes Jones the 4th highest paid CB in the league.  X has a legit beef IMO and if I were in his shoes I would too honestly.

Edited by Swampbilly

21 hours ago, Phinsesq said:

It is resolved they added in incentives that could push him to 16 million and agree to revisit the contract next season should he again produce at this elite level. Seems like a reasonable middle ground. 

I'm really shocked this is all it took.  The Fins gave up essentially nothing except for adding a few performance bonuses, which X needs to be healthy and balling out to reach.     

5 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

I'm really shocked this is all it took.  The Fins gave up essentially nothing except for adding a few performance bonuses, which X needs to be healthy and balling out to reach.     

I love it. X believes in himself, clearly. Hoping he balls out and makes all the money.

• Like 2