Breathe easy, Jonathan Allen signs an extension.

MikeT14

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He’s not really. Ioannidis is not as good as either of them vs the run & he usually gets a 1 on 1 match up when he’s pass rushing. If Ioannidis was better than Allen & Payne he would start over then, but he doesn’t.

Sack stats don’t always tell the whole story which has always been the case with Jon Allen. Jon Allen has gotten over 60 tackles as an interior DL 3 years in a row, last year he was amongst the league leaders for QB hits & QB pressures for an interior DL. So essentially what happens is Allen gets the pressure & flushes the QB off his spot and then someone else cleans up or Allen’s pressure up the middle forces a bad throw, those stats don’t show up on the stat sheet.

Good points, good points ! 

10 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

His first two years are cheap. We’re saving $3 million this year on his cap by extending him - not that it matters now. Good chance that in 2023 his contract was a restructured.

I would have preferred they not back load the contract when we have so many other guys in the same position group to sign soon.  I am sure it will work out, but I think that was a mistake and shows a lack of obvious foresight.  I guess really, the big mistake was Scherff.  If we didn't tag scherff we could have front loaded Allen's contract big time and wouldn't have to even blink when extending Payne next year.  

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

I would have preferred they not back load the contract when we have so many other guys in the same position group to sign soon.  I am sure it will work out, but I think that was a mistake and shows a lack of obvious foresight.  I guess really, the big mistake was Scherff.  If we didn't tag scherff we could have front loaded Allen's contract big time and wouldn't have to even blink when extending Payne next year.  

I seriously doubt they didn’t think about the other guys they’ll need to sign when giving out this contract. They’ll restructure it, lower the hit and give him more guarantees like everyone else in the league does. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

There is nothing you can say to me or show me that will ever convince me Vita Vea is better than Jonathan Allen. A guy who blows up running plays and gets sacks. He’s not one dimensional. 

It's the SB champion halo. I guarantee you that if we won the Lombardi, Allen would be a lock to be considered Top 2 or Top 3