Randy Gregory...

Tony7188

Do any of you still have hope for Randy Gregory?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do any of you still have hope for Randy Gregory?

• Yes, he looks to have turned the corner.
    • No
    • Maybe. I'll wait until he's reinstated first.

Just thought that I should bring him up since he's been left for dead around here. I know most Cowboy fans have given up on him, but it's been a LONG time since he's tested positive for marijuana. Maybe he's turned the corner? If he has, we should expect big things from the defense next year. He's still the most talented DE on the team.

Thoughts?

By several accounts, he is starting to really get his life in order (and no - I don't mean that those who smoke don't have their life in order). Whether that translates to him being able to have an impact in a Uniform remains to be said. But hope springs eternal in the human breast. I remain faithful that he will contribute.

We'll see. It's not like he is suspended for a heinous crime. I'm not angry. I think he is a force rushing the passer and could walk on the field this Sunday and get a sack. I question what's most important to him. But that's none of my business. It's his. We picked him at 60 not 6.  Who cares? If he comes back great. Love to have him. He isn't some AHole. If he doesn't? Well... Like most I've already moved on.

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

We'll see. It's not like he is suspended for a heinous crime. I'm not angry. I think he is a force rushing the passer and could walk on the field this Sunday and get a sack. I question what's most important to him. But that's none of my business. It's his. We picked him at 60 not 6.  Who cares? If he comes back great. Love to have him. He isn't some AHole. If he doesn't? Well... Like most I've already moved on.

Not my reasoning. My reasoning is this, if we take him back and proves to be a huge factor in the defense and pass rushing and we get some momentum, who or what is to say that he doesn't fall off the wagon again? Then we are back to getting burned and trying to find someone to fill a huge void. It just carries too much of a risk for the possible reward.

In short, I simply do not trust him. 

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Not my reasoning. My reasoning is this, if we take him back and proves to be a huge factor in the defense and pass rushing and we get some momentum, who or what is to say that he doesn't fall off the wagon again? Then we are back to getting burned and trying to find someone to fill a huge void. It just carries too much of a risk for the possible reward.

In short, I simply do not trust him. 

I think if he gets his stuff together and comes back and produces anything it will be considered a bonus. I don't believe we will ever put all our eggs in his basket hoping he gets clean and stays clean. 

30 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

I think if he gets his stuff together and comes back and produces anything it will be considered a bonus. I don't believe we will ever put all our eggs in his basket hoping he gets clean and stays clean. 

Agreed. I'm just reacting to what was stated earlier when they posted he could walk in now and get a sack. But if this guy shows up and should begin to play like the next Charles Haley and we begin to rely on him like we did with Haley, what happens next? You really wouldn't be holding your breath hoping he doesn't fall off the wagon again? I mean, burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me for giving you another opportunity to do so.

if he gets reinstated bring him in.  Everybody deserves another shot.  If he can help fantastic.  Who can't use another pass rusher?  Give the kid a chance.  With the signing of Nugent and release of Moore we have to ask ourselves how are we going to replace Moore's production?  (sarcasm)

I feel like coming back and having an impact would only be a positive for him, therefore I don't see him falling off the wagon again should he get to that point.

I would love to have him back as it would lessen the need for us taking a DE should we tag Lawrence and retain Irving. 

For his kind of drawbacks. It takes alot of mental willpower to change your life. Stuff like that focuses more on inner demons rather then the outside world. Which usually leads to isolation being incredibly reclusive to focus on dealing with your problems. Stuff like that can take a toll on the physical condition as a whole and leave them very much out of shape as oppose to before. So even if he comes back better then ever mentally. His game psyche, preperation cycle, everything to be a work in progress. 

Stuff like this can take years and years to overcome and become "better then ever".

Need I remind everyone that he missed all of last season(and most of the one before). Then when we started our back ups in week 17 last year he "walked on the field" and had 7 tackles(6 solo), hand full of hurries/QB hits and 1 sack against All pro Jason Peters. And overall looked like the Tasmania Devil.

So I'm not crazy to hypothetically think he could do something like that against a completely battered Redskin team. Or some other team in the future. Obviously it's not guaranteed he is still a beast but he's proven to be the type of Freak that can produce after a long lay off ala Rolondo McClain. This stuff(playing DE) comes easy to him and that might be part of the problem. You don't value things as much when you don't have to bust your *** for it. RG was blessed athletically from the jump.

Wealth that is quickly earned is quickly lost.

2 minutes ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

I'm not getting my hopes up, but we know what he's capable of. A 3rd and long line of Gregory, Irving, Collins/Crawford, and Lawrence makes me giddy.

It would certainly solve that DL problem if we kept Lawrence and Greg came back better then ever.

1 hour ago, Calvert28 said:

It would certainly solve that DL problem if we kept Lawrence and Greg came back better then ever.

And that's the problem that rtnldave is doing his best to point out.  Randy Gregory coming back(even if he is still good) shouldn't change/solve a damn thing. He is one strike away from a permanent ban, right? That seems to me like a last thread. Even a false positive kills him at this point. Any snap he is able to take from here on out should be seen as unexpected/unsustainable contribution. 

Where I don't agree with Dave is not letting him back at all because of that. Yet his point remains valid. Any success from him shouldn't be seen as an answer to anything, but rather a random and unexpected contribution like Rolando gave us a few years ago. We in fact SHOULD be giddy about the prospective-based potential line of:

RDE Lawrence

1T Collins

3T Irving

LDE Taco

Maybe RG provides the 1 year stop-gap needed for Taco to develop into a dominant LDE? If RG were to do that then I would be happy. Taco was a late bloomer in college and... could be here as well.  If RG can buy us the time needed for that, while providing elite level pass rush before his next failed test, then why wouldn't you want that?  His crime(lol) wasn't henious enough to take a moral stance against it. So don't start.

I wouldn't be concerned about RG stopping them from getting another DE opposite Lawrence. They just drafted one in rd. 1.

I'd be more concerned about Taco keeping them from reinvesting in DE while hopelessly waiting for him to develop, and he never does.

Bottom line is, if RG can come back and get 1 sack in 1 game before his permanent ban; that's one sack more than we will get without him.

We've already invested in him. Might as well milk him for anything he's got.

Archived