Dolphins release CB Byron Maxwell, sign QB David Fales

TheKillerNacho

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-release-byron-maxwell-sign-david-fales-102417-story.html

In a word, woohoo! Maxwell has been atrocious for us for the most part. Meanwhile, his replacement after getting hurt this year has been rookie Cordea Tankersly who has been surprisingly adequete.

Fales is being signed because the Dolphins needed a 2nd QB with Cutler being out Thursday night. He spent time with us during the offseason, so he is aware of the system.

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-release-byron-maxwell-sign-david-fales-102417-story.html

In a word, woohoo! Maxwell has been atrocious for us for the most part. Meanwhile, his replacement after getting hurt this year has been rookie Cordea Tankersly who has been surprisingly adequete.

Fales is being signed because the Dolphins needed a 2nd QB with Cutler being out Thursday night. He spent time with us during the offseason, so he is aware of the system.

He also spent time with Gase here in Chicago, iirc.

Frees ups $5.5m in cap space for Miami, writing was on the wall after his benching and subsequent hamstring injury, which is supposedly minor. He's been inactive the past several games.

Played too much soft zone for my liking and was *allegedly* doing some freelancing early in the season, i.e. playing off-man instead of press.

He'll find a home soon. He can be an adequate starter if put in the right position.

2016 PFF grade: 84.7 (strong second half of season)
2017 PFF grade: 39.2 (107 total snaps)

3 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

On Reddit they are saying Maxwell had a very good year last year, but had disputes with the DC this year. Is that right? We need some depth.

He was really bad starting out in the year, got benched, then regained the starting job and started playing a lot better and teetered off to mediocrity as the season reached the end. I wouldn't say he was "very good" at any point, though... "above average" during his hot streak is how I would put it.

I do think he is capable of reaching a similar level with another, to answer your question.... it is true to say that he's not a fit for our current defensive system.

I think the Broncos would make some sense as he liked working with Vance Joseph last season and they could also use some Cornerback depth.

Maxwell was a classic example of a FA that didn't deserve to get the money he did.  Eagles were desperate for a CB and somehow he was deemed the best one on the market despite never having to cover a #1 while playing on an elite defense.  I remember being pretty skeptical of the signing when we made it, but it was a case of there are no other options.  Turns out that not only can he not really cover, but his effort on the Eagles at least, was absolutely pathetic.  We literally couldn't have gotten rid of him fast enough.  It's coincidental that our two biggest FA signings at corner have been absolute flops, but at least with Nmandi I never really questioned his effort, he just couldn't play anymore.

Archived