Preseason Week 1 GDT - Trey Lance Debut

N4L

Lance is going to need the running threat early on to get him some clear looks. But I'm glad he got these two minute drill reps. Clearly struggles at it right now and needs as many reps there as possible.

Lol, Shanny is giving him ONE more drive. Good stuff!

Really like how the rookie DBs looked. Thomas, Lenoir and Hufanga all did good things. The two rookie OL? Ew....

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Two minutes drills have been pretty bad by Lance. 

Par for the course, he's struggled in those drills in practice as well. When it is obvious passing downs, he's going to need to learn how to get it done. Has to speed up his decision making and just needs to get more reps...That's mainly what it is. Guy has so little inexperience in these. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Sample size. 1 bad pass but two bad decisions. 

Ermmm, he had a couple of ugly passes I thought. To be fair I didn't get a good replay look one one of them. 

But you are right. Small sample size indeed. The deck was stacked against him with bad drops and bad protection. Still needed to not fumble the ball though. 

Like head coach said, some good, some bad. Decent debut. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Par for the course, he's struggled in those drills in practice as well. When it is obvious passing downs, he's going to need to learn how to get it done. Has to speed up his decision making and just needs to get more reps...That's mainly what it is. Guy has so little inexperience in these. 

Yep. It's a situational thing that isn't going to improve sitting on the bench. Maybe he's just pressing a bit in those situation. Maybe a bit of nerves. 

1 minute ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ermmm, he had a couple of ugly passes I thought. To be fair I didn't get a good replay look one one of them. 

But you are right. Small sample size indeed. The deck was stacked against him with bad drops and bad protection. Still needed to not fumble the ball though. 

Like head coach said, some good, some bad. Decent debut. 

I definitely saw two bad passes from an accuracy perspective. Maybe a third...unsure about the James incompletion because I never saw a replay. Announcers made it seems like it was on James. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yep. It's a situational thing that isn't going to improve sitting on the bench. Maybe he's just pressing a bit in those situation. Maybe a bit of nerves. 

And let's be real man, the OL doesn't help. Dude is speeding it up just because of how bad they are...Again, why keep giving him these reps behind this OL in practice when it isn't realistic at all? There are nothing but would be sacks where the play just continues. Even if you want to go with Jimmy, you have to give Lance some reps with the first team OL.

Lance's play completely fell apart after all starters were pulled. 

• Like 1

Don't agree with the Thomas criticism. The two third down catches he allowed were crossers and one was caught three yards behind the first down marker where Hufanga made the play and the other play he had good coverage but the ball placement was elite by the QB. Thought he looked fine and same with Lenoir. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't agree with the Thomas criticism. The two third down catches he allowed were crossers and one was caught three yards behind the first down marker where Hufanga made the play and the other play he had good coverage but the ball placement was elite by the QB. Thought he looked fine and same with Lenoir. 

I'm not going to be too hard on Moore either. Fifth round pick. Not expected to come in and play well at a position that is very difficult to transition to. He moves smoothly, which is good for the scheme. Pass pro will definitely be a work in progress

I’m not worried about the Lance struggles in the 2nd quarter. To start, Shanahans play calling was extremely vanilla and the threat of Lance running was not mixed in to the play calling. Next, the 2nd team Oline is really bad..we all knew this though. Finally, the backup skill position players are trash as well. I mean Trent freaking Sherfield is our 3rd receiver lol Jennings actually didn’t look bad but Richie James is going to be cut and Charlie W is not a receiving threat.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not going to be too hard on Moore either. Fifth round pick. Not expected to come in and play well at a position that is very difficult to transition to. He moves smoothly, which is good for the scheme. Pass pro will definitely be a work in progress

Yeah, but if he's going to be the swing tackle he can't have those types of reps.