Preseason Week 1 GDT - Trey Lance Debut

N4L

Besides the obvious Trey Lance, I want to see how our new RBs do.  Sermon is a man child and Mitchell is a local guy for me so I am pulling for them both, I dont think either one makes Hatpus status but I want to see what Shanny can do with his new toys.  Probably wont get anything exotic tomorrow but let them flash and keep us drooling.

Obviously like everyone else I'm most interested in watching Lance, but outside of him (I'll give my stats prediction for him at the end of the post):

1. Really curious to see how Thomas and Lenoir hold up. There is a good chance that at least one of these two will be called for action at some point in the season. Thomas has supposedly dominated the one on one drills but has struggled in team drills when asked to play more off man coverage. Thomas just needs more experience in this system and more reps to get used to of the different defense. Lenoir is a guy who has gotten beat at the catch point but has shown good coverage. Not that surprising considering his size but I want to see how he looks in the slot and how he defends at the catch point.

2. Hufanga, according to Ward had a very impressive spring showing and hasn't disappointed in camp. The preseason is mainly all about vanilla offense (outside of the Bears calling leak plays today lol) so I want to see him make some plays closer to the LOS. If he does play some single high, I would like to see him tested once on a deep ball to see if he is in position to make a play on the ball like we always see Ward and previously even Moore.

3. How does Banks look in live action? He hasn't cracked the first team yet but is he the mauler the team thinks he is in the run game while being able to hold his own in pass protection? How about Moore? He's getting the LT reps on the 2nd team over Coleman which is good, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been getting beat by this deep DL. Just want to see him out there and see how he is able to move, likewise with Banks.

4. Speaking of the DL, they have been the story of the camp despite the top guns being held out for the most part. So which one of these guys is able to flash tonight? Street has been average AT BEST through three seasons but now he is having the camp of his life. Will it transfer to the actual games against other opposing OL that he doesn't see every day in practice? Can either of the former Raiders make some plays? How about Yarbrough? If Kinlaw plays, I hope he gets more than one possession. The few times he has participated in 11 on 11s, he has had his way with the OL....But is that him taking the next step or the OL just not that good?

5. Hurd will not be playing tonight as well as Sanu, so which one of the other WRs can make some plays? Which one of the other WRs is able to solidify a roster spot with their performances in preseason?

6. The starting offense will only get one series so I just want them to look sharp and move the ball. Doesn't even need to end in a TD, just look fairly competent and that's good enough. Just stay healthy please!

7. Lastly to Lance. We already know that Mack and Williams won't be playing, but they were never going to play with Lance anyways. He's going to be playing at least a possession or two against the Chiefs starters with the back up OL that has been getting crushed in practice. He's also not going to have Kittle, Sanu, Aiyuk nor Deebo. No pressure, right?? Lol, I expect quite a few of zone read hand offs and a few runs for himself. But when he is dropping back to pass, I expect him to be on the move trying to avoid the pass rush. I bet there will be one or two deep shots but mainly just stuff underneath. There are going to be a few wow throws even if they are not completed but his stat line is going to look pretty mundane. He's just not going to have the horses with him to look good and Shanny isn't going to open up the playbook tonight. What I want to see is the offense put through a two minute drill or a late quarter hurry up situation. Lance just doesn't have enough experience in these situations to look comfortable and that has been one of the criticisms of him thus far. 

I'm predicting his stat line to look something like this:

8-14 85-90 yards, 3 rushes 12-15 yards.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Ooh. I like the predicting a Lance stat line game. 

5-9, 54 yards, 1 sack. 5 rushes, 39 yards

Bold on the rushing yards! I don't see him breaking one long with the types of rushes he will have. He's probably being told to extend the play and keep his eyes down the field. 

I want to see him completing an out route or some sort of impressive boundary pass. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Bold on the rushing yards! I don't see him breaking one long with the types of rushes he will have. He's probably being told to extend the play and keep his eyes down the field. 

I want to see him completing an out route or some sort of impressive boundary pass. 

Yeah, I'm kind of banking on like one rush where he happens to get 21 yards or something. 

I do expect a vanilla as hell game

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Yeah, I'm kind of banking on like one rush where he happens to get 21 yards or something. 

I do expect a vanilla as hell game

Yeah, it is going to be super vanilla. 

All the rookie QBs are sort of performing on a similar level. Fields got his stats later in the game but in the first half he was struggling. Mond has done some decent things but has had his struggles as well. I expect the same with Lance. I feel like he will try his best not to just take off and will instead try to throw on the move. Him playing in practice with that OL against the DL has made it so unrealistic that he's going to be sped up from the first drop back. We are all excited but will be so frustrated half way through the first quarter with the types of plays Shanny draws up lol. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 3:40 AM, Forge said:

Just watching to see the fallout online if Trey Lance struggles and see the immediate, "ZOMG should have taken McCorkle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" 

Never forget "WE WANT CARR". 

Trey plays well in his first preseason game, the fallout will be "see, he should start!!!" If he plays lackluster the "see, he shouldn't start yet!!!" squawking will continue until oblivion. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe