GDT Preseason Week 1: 0-0 Baltimore Ravens vs 0-0 New Orleans Saints

DreamKid

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Can anyone elaborate on James Proche's night? I didn't get a chance to watch the game, but from what I've read he played a lot of snaps and only had 1 catch(?). Seems like he's going to be this year's "WR that lights up camp/practices but does nothing outside of that" guy

Tough to evaluate. Our backup offensive line couldn’t hold up against anyone and Trace Mcsorley looked like he had the arm of a high schooler 

26 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I just want to point out that the Daelin Hayes play was against a pulling C, not a LT.

Is someone contending different somewhere? He did have some strong reps against their Tackles on other plays, but that one was definitely against a C- still impressive though.  

On 8/15/2021 at 10:09 AM, Ray Reed said:

By all accounts throughout all of training camp the line has looked awful.

The line looked awful last night.

But somehow you’re ok with that because...Orlando Brown didn’t play well to start the season last year? What?

Well chemistry isn’t built overnight. The OL looking troubled to start isn’t somehow unexpected.

We’re talking about this offensive line lol. And this offensive line hasn’t shown A.) it can stay healthy or B.) the healthy guys can perform. I really don’t care that certain outlets “graded Powers high in run blocking”. The last two times we’ve seen him - Buffalo and last night - he’s been on the ground more than he’s been making effective blocks. Mekari got worked in the playoffs/last night too.

So prisoner of the moment then? That’s all I’m hearing. The last two appearances specific guys didn’t do well, so they’re trash. Cool beans.

”I’m not worried until the OL is getting Lamar killed” - really? Because by that point the season is over dude. You kinda want to be proactive when it comes to your OL protecting your franchise QB - not waiting around until it happens, ignoring all the signs. 

Waiting around? Did they not add two veterans and a mammoth 3rd round pick- that seemed to be the ultimate scheme fit? 

That’s part of the problem, dude. We probably won’t have our starting OL together until week 1 of the regular season - when the games actually start to count. We can’t afford to wait 7/8 weeks like you seem content to do to field an effective offensive line.

Content? I just know building up an OL is a part of the process. I’ve been there personally and it takes time to get guys to trust navigating double team blocks, picking up stunts, etc. I’m not going to castigate the youth upfront because they haven’t had enough time to gel. If they still look like trash by the final preseason game then maybe I’ll be more concerned.

Sometimes you just dig your heels in because you’re too stubborn to admit something you wrote a big post on could be incorrect. You stuck your neck out saying you’re not concerned about the OL a few weeks ago because you really like Powers and Mekari etc etc. and they’ll figure it out eventually, and surely we’ll get healthy eventually, etc. All information we have currently points to the contrary. You’ve overrated the talent of these guys for some time now. Mekari was undrafted for a reason. Powers was a 4th round pick. Phillips was a huge reach even in the 3rd.

Dig my heels in? I said from jump that we should wait until the final preseason game before making any types of serious judgments. That’s still two weeks away. Which is why I think we’re jumping the gun here.

If the OL doesn’t end up as a top 10-15 unit in the league as expected than I’ll change my tune. But as it stands I believe it will be such a unit. Whereas your language seems to suggest that you believe it will be a bottom 5-10 OL or something. Time will tell, but if it isn’t won’t it be that you’re the one digging in your heels over how incapable you think the unit is/will be.

52 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

everybody wants EDC to invest high picks into the OL... come draft season all talk is about those flashy talents at skill positions and it is totally fine for the team to spend mid round picks since they have such a good history of developing guys. 

Yup. Only I don’t see an issue with that strategy considering we needed that talent that could be another explosive element for playoff time- a difference maker.

As long as we can get quality play from the veteran additions and Cleveland, I think it was a quality strategy that can reap rewards. Now that we have Bateman, Hollywood, and Andrews in tow, we can afford to invest heavily on our front lines offensively and defensively.

The only problem with the strategy has been they haven’t been hitting on the mid round OL recently. But law of averages would dictate that enough shots will eventually be rewarded with someone stellar (which hopefully will be Cleveland, so there’s less investment needed this offseason).

7 hours ago, M.10.E said:

The OL needs a first or second round talent next year or another good signing. Depth is very bad. Don't want to see Powers Mekari Phillips etc costing this team games again. Hope no one gets hurt this year. 

I agree. I think it would be smart to invest in a RT and/or C upfront. The center from Iowa seems like he could be a beast in the making, Tyler Lindenbaum.

Though considering Calais Campbell might be retiring/leaving and Wolfe might not return, we’ll also need to invest in help upfront potentially.